2004 KSUSA Kneelo Festival- need your input

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

gsurf
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Re: Sewer Peak vs First Peak

Post by gsurf »

Scott wrote:Surfhorn Dan,

Now that's an idea! If we have The House to use as a staging area for smaller north swells so that we can use Sewer Peak (we'll have to rename it to something else--who's gonna travel hundreds of miles to surf a place that they erroneously think is connected to a sewer? How'zabout "Manns Reef"?), then we're all set in small surf up to about 6 feet. But the swell that time of year could certainly be bigger. Since SP tends to fall apart above 6' on NW swells, then we could still set up at the Point like we did for this last year's contest. If we had access to both spots, then I say we skip the Lane as a site.

Don, IMO early December runs a bigger risk of storm activity--a rain out would be worse than small surf.
Nah! I'll take rain and big waves over the dribble we had in the last contest.
Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Tom Linn »

FYI the cost for Steamers is only slightly higher than PP. I'm checking into the crowd control factor for Steamers right now. Surfhorn is checking into the a house at Sewers as well.

Thanks for your all the input. I'll keep you all informed once these final issues are resolved. Please put 11/19-21 on your calendar for an even bigger and better Santa Cruz Kneelo Fest. Hopefully we can get more international competitors like last year's PR crew.
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

I agree with EQ my vote is for Pleasure Point; the venue and vibe was great. The only problem was lack of swell. During the last contest I checked out Steamers it was not even 'rideable' at the high tide.
PAUL CROWLEY
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

2004 Kneelo festival

Post by PAUL CROWLEY »

Hi Tom just saw your post, and noticed that you are working on this years contest. The way the last one went with the vibe & attitude etc. I vote for pleasure point 100%. The lighthouse can get pretty vibish, plus we've got John Mel and the Mans brothers support at Pleasure Point. Thats my two cents. PC
southpeakbrad

Exibition Heat at Nationals?

Post by southpeakbrad »

Since people are posting old photos of guys ripping from the olden days, would there be any interest in a "Retro Exhibition Heat" or something like that at Nationals? ... or any time to fit one in?? No age restriction but all riders must ride a board at least 25 or ___? years old. That is if you still have an old stick. I've got an old Carl Hayward fish from 1981 in great condition still, but haven't ridden it since 1988 or so...
red

Post by red »

Tom

I see you have tenative dates for 3rd week in November

This is the PI Classic weekend - one of the most venerated Aussie contests and gatherings.

Would be nice to be able to remeet my new US friends (after Tahiti and Hawaii) at the Santa Cruz contest (bit presumptious, I know)

I'm sure some of your guys may be in a position to travel Down Under in November 2005, but not want to choose between events

:?:
Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Craig »

Tom, respectfuly my vote would for early December. I'm in EU on business the last two weeks of November every year. I would hate to miss this event. Purely selfish I know.

Still a Grom!
kneemor

Southern Cali

Post by kneemor »

Any thoughts about having it in Socal?
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

We talked a lot about SoCal vs NorCal...

A lot of the decision revolved around getting the best possible venue, which broke down to liklihood of surf and conditions over an extended period of time, quality of surf, availability of resources (site, contest equip, skilled judges, places to stay, etc,) and costs. Last year, aligning with the USSF (thanks to Tom Linn) really paid off.

I would suggest moving it to Lowers IN A HEARTBEAT... but, alas, that
isn't going to happen.

Anyhow, it's always an open topic and any ideas are appreciated.
Don
Admin

Re: Southern Cali

Post by Don »

kneemor wrote:Any thoughts about having it in Socal?
The decision to hold this in Nor Cal is simply based on the number of events already in So Cal. ( Numerous Gatherings, July USSF US Champs at O'side, Bob Welch's Surfer Bowl in January, etc.).

People were very stoked last year to have it in Santa Cruz and nearly (if not all) wanted it back in SC this year.

Lowers???? $10K per day and you can only get by lottery as they only allow 3 comps there.

Pleasure Point is a very user friendly environment for both surfers and spectators, affordable and when it's "on" it's a good contest wave.

There are other breaks that could probably be better, but hey, this is only our second US Champs and I know we can improve on an already great event.

My .02
Don Harris
Ler

Contest

Post by Ler »

I really think the contest should be in Norcal, always! It's a great way to start the winter.
stemple

Post by stemple »

Don,

By your post, can it be assumed that the venue will be pleasure point again and Steamers is out of the running?
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Ths Point is 5-6 foot right now but a bit crossed up swell wise. Saw one KBer (with a red deck) out at Sewer Peak. Heard last night had great bowling sections at a solid 6'.
kbing since plywood days
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Plus, if its at Pleasure Point again, we can do a much better job of entertaining the troops. - Dan
kbing since plywood days
PAUL CROWLEY

Kneeboarding Sewer Peak

Post by PAUL CROWLEY »

I would love to have this at Sewer Peak, Its an unreal KB wave that barrels at the take off and the shoulder bends and wraps right into you for huge re-entries. On good days (frequent) Its a multiple tube ride wave -Two or Three barrels on one wave is not uncommon. However the point is a great contest wave, and anything over head high is unreal. A true California Point break. Either spot its gonna be a blast- and I think we'll have even more Kneelos this year! See you all at PP. PC

Keep it on the East Side!!