2011 KSUSA Kneeboard Surfing Titles

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

stonefish
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

plenty good vibe bra

Post by stonefish »

This contest was so much fun! It was a honor to ride with all the guys .....i'm still amazed at the way the ocean favors us with stupendous surf!
Thanks to the efforts of everyone involved and congratulations to the recipients of the two Pairs of Stonefish Skegs won at the raffle!

The resolution now is to get more tube time in at Blacks! lets keep the good vibes rolling!
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

About 30 pics by Bob Gove just posted in the Album section dedicated to the contest. Compare these pics to the ones from, say, the 2005 contest in Santa Cruz and see how the level of surfing has improved!
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

The weather was all good, sun and wind conditions........ The waves were fun.......... Seeing old friends and meeting new friends was loads of fun.................
stevea

2011 KSUSA kneeboard surfing titles

Post by stevea »

Congratulation to all on what looked like an epic event professional in every aspect,seems to me theres a bunch of serious contenders for the Philip Island event hope to see as many as possible there for what could turn out to be the biggest international gathering of kneeboard surfers ever assembled
Enjoyed the video and pics so far looking forward to more
At the same time the KSUSA event was on there, down here in OZ the finals of the World Junior Pro was on while the surfing was dynamic there seemed to me a total lack of atmosphere like you were watching someone work rather than having fun
The major insight i did get was landing the big move was a must but we all know that dont we ,everything is nothing till you land it
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

S T O K E D !!
Wow, been busy since the contest but want to thank Jack for an excellent recap. So well stated with appropriate thanks all around 8)

I'd like to thank BT and all of our tremendous sponsors. Incredible work and generous support. The KSUSA Team who worked non-stop to make sure this year's event was better in everyway (it was!). Joe and his supporters for the awesome trophies, and Amanda for the planning and logistics support that helped everything to reallly flow so well. Randy for another excellent lead on RaffleMania and Joe Coyne for gear support. Ed for updating heat results and the schedule post surf while everyone else is relaxing, and Robb for creativity, patience, and CanDo!
And a special shout out to BigFred and his family :D 8)

Thanks to the kneeboard community for filling up the heats, coming out to watch with friends and family, and participating in the raffle and auction.

And thanks to Chris Beresford for finally entering and putting on a great show (just like at Blacks), and Chris Buscemi as well (just like at Blacks), and to Tom and Jack for being Tom and Jack. Congratulations to all of you. 8) .
Amanda Taylor

Post by Amanda Taylor »

Joe and I are competely stoked with all the fun and hanging with all the kneelos and their families. We are grateful for the friendships we've made along the way. The contest would be nothing without all of you. We can't wait to help out with the next event, perhaps I'll come out from behind the lens and join the fun in the water at the next one. We need more girls, ya know!! Any wives, girlfriends, or daughers... care to join me next year?
Oh yeah, I've posted 30 picts in the 2011 KSUSA contest album, and am working on a longer slide show/DVD available in a few weeks. Keep your eyes peeled.
A huge thanks to everyone involved with this contest. Remember, volunteerism keeps KSUSA alive and well.
Jack Beresford

photos

Post by Jack Beresford »

Great shots Amanda! Crystal clear and wonderful color!
Jack Beresford

news release

Post by Jack Beresford »

Don Harris, Kneeboard Surfing USA
Tel: 415-250-6400, dharris@ksusa.org

Huntington Beach Delivers for Kneeboard Surfing USA Titles

San Diego’s Jack Beresford Breaks Personal “Huntington Jinx” to Win U.S. Kneeboard Title in Flawless Conditions

Huntington Beach, CA (January 24, 2011) – Maybe there’s a reason it’s called “Surf City USA.” Top kneeboard surfing competitors enjoyed a head-high swell and summer-like weather Jan. 14 and 15 at Huntington Beach for the Kneeboard Surfing USA Titles and Festival.

San Diego’s Jack Beresford, past winner of several U.S. Titles, broke his own “Huntington jinx,” winning for the first time at surfing’s most-famous pier. The Open Division winner bested what many consider the toughest field ever assembled for a Kneeboard Surfing U.S. Titles – including several former U.S. champions. Beresford has now won three of the seven U.S. Titles events held since the Kneeboard Surfing USA was founded in 2003.

“Huntington Beach is the Yankee Stadium of surfing venues,” said Beresford. “After 30 years of competing there, it’s great to have exorcised some of those ghosts at the pier.”

As reward, top finishers at Huntington Beach receive highly coveted ranking on the U.S. Team traveling to the 2011 ISA World Kneeboard Championships being held in Philip Island, Australia this March. They also split a cash prize of $1,000 – a first for a U.S. championship event.

“Kneeboard Surfing is not only alive and well – but thriving,” said Don Harris, KSUSA President. “The level of competition this year exceeded anything seen for a U.S. championship.”

Other Open Division finalists included Huntington Beach’s Tom Backer who finished second, San Diego’s Chris Buscemi, who finished third and San Diego’s Chris Beresford – Jack’s brother – who finished fourth.

Kneeboarders from Black’s Beach in San Diego went home with titles in three events: including Beresford in the Open Division, Bob Gove in the AAA Division and Brad Colwell in the AA Division. San Diego’s Shaun Murphy, currently a student at Humboldt State, repeated as Junior Division champion.

Huntington Beach Kneeboarders calling themselves “Team Mojado” saved some face by edging out the “Black’s Kneelos” in a highly entertaining team event.

Following the finals, competitors gathered at Sandy’s Beach Grill for a festive awards celebration. For many, the event marks a once-a-year opportunity to renew friendships – some going back as many as 30 to 40 years.

Kneeboard Surfing USA is dedicated to promoting the sport of Kneeboard Surfing through competitions, kneelo gatherings and other activities. For more information about Kneeboard Surfing USA, visit: www.ksusa.org.

Sponsors of the Kneeboard Surfing U.S. Championships include: Aleeda Wetsuits, AquaTech Waterjet Cutting, Balestar Designs, Blast Hawaii, Bolsa Clothing, Bouy Weather, Brand ID, COVE PADS, DaKine, Da Fin, Danny Robertson, Duke’s/Sandy’s Beach Grill, Electric Visual, Flashpoint Surfing, Fred and Sons Metals, Freeline Design, Froghouse, Huntington Beach Lifeguards, Joel Mayer Pro Surf Photography, Larry Block Products, LuxurySurf.com, Maxim Capital Advisors, Ocean & Earth, Parkes Australia, Primo Beer, S.S. Metal Fabricators, Sandy’s Beach Grill, Shoelkopf, Skull Candy, Stonefish Skegs Surfline, Surftech, Tide Has Turned, Trunq, Viper Surfing Fins, Waterman Applied Science, and Xcel Wetsuits.

CONTEST RESULTS:
Open Division: 1. Jack Beresford, 2. Tom Backer, 3. Chris Buscemi, 4. Chris Beresford
AAA: 1. Bob Gove, 2. Jeff Jensen, 3. Shaun Murphy, 4. Scott Kinyoun
AA: 1. Brad Colwell, 2. Randy Reed, 3. Leonard Miller, 4. Scott Wessling
Junior: 1. Shaun Murphy, 2. Sebastian Perez, 3. Chris Linn, 4. Shayne Dimick, 5. Evan Odom
Team Event: 1. Team Mojado, 2. Black's Kneelos, 3. Kneelo Cove I, 4. AKC, 5. Kneelo Cove II
Jack Beresford

news coverage

Post by Jack Beresford »

Some news coverage starting to come in:

Waterhound.com includes photos of my bro (his waves were better anyway):
http://www.waterhound.com/jack-beresfor ... mpion.html

Surfline (no photos) :(

Surfertoday.com decided my picture from last year was better

http://www.surfertoday.com/surfing/4873 ... g-champion

Surfsupalert begins story with "Surprisingly, the contest was held in head-high waves." OK?

http://www.surfsupalert.com/2011/01/25/ ... rt-139947/
RDnSC
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Wow!

Post by RDnSC »

Just want to say thanks to everyone involved. That was my first kneelo contest, and I just can't believe how friendly and helpful everyone was. That was A LOT of fun :!:
RDnSC
tahiti_nui

Post by tahiti_nui »

a blast from the past,
previously unseen footage surfaces.

Watch The Tailer
tahiti_nui

Post by tahiti_nui »

A recent scan of an old hard drive revealed previously unpublished video,
so now after a quick edit, you can take a trip down memory lane.

Day One Highlights