2011 KSUSA Kneeboard Surfing Titles

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Jack Beresford »

Just got back from a killer day at the beach with 70 of my favorite kneelos! As expected, the small swell made it a real challenge. Sets were in the waist to chest high range with some long slow rights and a few punchier lefts. The good news was the wind was almost nonexistent most of the day so it was very clean and a few of the guys were having no problems with the small surf. Call them the "Killer Bs:" Barry, Backer, Billy, Buscemi, Butler and my brother - who ended his 6-year contest hiatus and didn't seem to skip a beat. Quite a few others who were making the best of it including the lone Australian, Nov Jr. EQ also was enjoying himself and did a great job on the mike in between his heats (what a showman). Both Robertson brothers were surfing well and could give us Beresfords a challenge in the "brothers division." Sam Coyne and Shaun Murphy also picked up right where they left off and seem poised to give some of us old men a run for the money (or hardware). Once again KSUSA lucked into mid-summer weather in January with highs in the mid-70s and more than a few bikinis on the beach - don't tell our wives! Hopefully the swell fills in overnight and we can start the quarter-finals with a bang at 7 a.m. Also, if you're in the area, don't miss the fun at Sandy's tonight starting about 7:30 p.m. Some incredible looking boards will be raffled. And be sure to buy some of those guys mentioned above a beer or two or three (those of age of course) - I need every advantage I can get tomorrow!!!

The real question for Saturday is: will Kneelo Cove even show up for the team event???

Jack
Last edited by Jack Beresford on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

An accurate assessment, Jack.
Are you still stinging from last years loss in the Team Event?
We'll be there :twisted: :!:
maxb

Post by maxb »

Wayne,I think you nailed it there. I believe Jack wants revenge :twisted:
Watch what you wish for Jack :evil:
The Cove Crew is everywhere :twisted:
kbing newport
fishfinger
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by fishfinger »

thanx to everyone who put this event together had a great time....
220countyline
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

live from H/B 220

Post by 220countyline »

22O AKA JAMES,,ORG BORN IN SCOTLAND,uk ,raised first here in dogtown,, now living in simi right on county-line ware i own a bodyshop , just a old school punker dood,am enjoying this site and my new romanosky knee board which i bought here
geo

randiego report via Facebook

Post by geo »

Randy Morris
USA Kneeboard Titles Open Final coming up! San Diego is well represented with the Beresford brothers, Capt Chris Buscemi and HBs Tom Backer. Surf is chest-head high with light offshore wind!
220countyline

220 grate day out

Post by 220countyline »

today was unreal ,,i mean that was nutty the bhoys realy put on a grate show and hats off to everybody that put the event ...just wathing 4 the party to start ,i also was so lucky to buy max parkes board from him right after the comp.big thanks to everybody 220..
22O AKA JAMES,,ORG BORN IN SCOTLAND,uk ,raised first here in dogtown,, now living in simi right on county-line ware i own a bodyshop , just a old school punker dood,am enjoying this site and my new romanosky knee board which i bought here
220countyline

H/B

Post by 220countyline »

tahiti_nui

Post by tahiti_nui »

hey Zeke,
we missed ya
here's some of todays action,
we'll get more soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTlSf6v00iY
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

tahiti.. Thansk for the post.. Looks like everyone was having fun. Wish I cxould have been there... I see that next yr, O`side will have to put a team together..Great surfing guys& gals!!!
Jack Beresford

post contest wrap-up

Post by Jack Beresford »

Post Contest Impressions:

Walking through the outdoor shopping mall that is Main Street HB, there’s a large window poster in one of the super size surf shops that reads: “The best thing about surfing is what it feels like when you’re surfed out.” A cheesy line, but exactly how a bunch of kneelos feel waking up today.
It was a crazy, exhausting two-day run (longer for those who of us who arrived early). I’m tired, sunburnt and my eyes are blood red and it feels great. Once again, HB delivered the goods. Solid waves, incredible weather and a killer stoke in the water and on the beach.

Super Saturday
Finals day arrived with the predicted bump in the swell which provided shoulder-to-head-high waves with both lefts and rights working off the south-side sandbar. The quarter-finals and semis saw some of the most intense surfing of the contest. Chris Beresford picked up right where he left off with a shock-and-awe approach that left everyone else surfing for second place. Chris Buscemi got some of the best waves of the contest and did huge turns – earning his way into the final by beating top seeds like Barry and Nov Jr. Mark Robertson surfed his brains out and was only stopped from making the final by a desperate hail mary by Tom Backer. Last year's champ, Bill Lerner, surfed with style and flair but also came up just short in a super-competitive semi with both Chris Bs. Meanwhile, Juniors like Shaun Murphy were putting on a display that had the large crowd on the pier cheering and Rockin Fig and EQ screaming on the mike.

We were blessed once again with glassy, perfect conditions before noon for the open final with me, Tom, Chris and Chris eager to get to work. The heat started with a bang: a couple of nicely shaped sets in the first ten minutes – Tom scoring first with one of those mysto lefts next to the pier. After the flurry, I was surprised to hear Fig’s warning that there was an eight-wave limit and I only had three waves left! Fortunately, contest director Ed Dimick made a quick call to extend the wave limit and the action resumed. To be honest, I really didn’t see much of the other guys’ waves – it’s pretty tough at a beach-break - but I could hear the big cheers from the beach (“Oh great, another monster hit for Backer”).

In the end, I think we were all glad my brother decided to leave his flippers on the beach – he just missed a couple of waves that might have made a big difference in the final result. In terms of me, Tom and Capt. Chris…it was incredibly close with each of us not making one or two waves that might have been the difference – especially Chris’ sweet tube at the buzzer. The judges gave me the nod, but I would have been stoked to see any of the other three guys crowned champ – they were each deserving. One of my favorite moments of the contest will be sitting outside with Tom and as a sweet set wave rolled in, shouting “Hey Tom, wanna split it?” Tom yelled “Sure!” so I went left and never had to look back. What a class guy and champion who will represent us well in P.I.

The other finals saw some really inspired surfing: Shaun “Air” Murphy was a standout in the junior final. Old Man Gove who took out the AAA Final pulling his handles and cranking some of the hardest turns of the contest (imagine what he’ll surf like in his 70s?). Brad Colwell mixed some big turns with his smooth-as-glass style and cruised to victory in the AA Final. The team event was a blast (even if Team “Mojado” paid off the judges with tequila). Plenty of other highlights – too many to mention here but you’ll see the pictures and video for weeks to come.

Kudos
Lots of people to thank, and I’ll probably forget a few people but here’s a short list: Big Tony definitely gets the MVP Award. When we lost our dates in Santa Cruz, Tony stepped in and took the thing over. He was convinced we should have a kneeboard-only event and it would be better than anything before. He brought in Dante, move us to Sandy’s and scored a boatload of sponsors – what an effort (be sure to support our sponsors year-round)! Next up is Fred Rodriguez. I don’t know where KSUSA would be without Fred, Carlen and the “First Family of Kneeboarding.” Someone once said Big Fred has the biggest heart around – I can’t agree more. This bud’s for you EQ, Rockin Fig and Mike Butler for keeping it loose on the microphone throughout the event. Damn entertaining and funny as hell. Kudos to Joe and Amanda Taylor for the incredible hand-made plaques that each of the finalists received – true artwork! And a big shaka to the rest of the KSUSA organizing committee who’ve been working for months to pull this off. While the rest of us are kicking back at the bar after a long day at the contest, those guys are hustling around setting up the raffle, merchandise sales, next-day’s heats and a boatload of other issues to keep everyone smiling (and the contest in the black). Final props to the entire Kneelo Cove crew who welcomed us with open arms. Blacks may have way better waves, but the community you guys have created up there is truly awesome. Thanks bros!

Perspective
This was our 8th KSUSA Titles. But it will be memorable (and even historic) for a lot of reasons. The level of surfing and caliber of competition was off the charts. By far the HARDEST CONTEST EVER. I think every KSUSA titles champ was in attendance except Gavin. We had some of the best waves for the open final – perhaps with the exception of the last event at Steamer (but I missed that one so who cares). What an incredible set-up: did you catch the massive banner of Bill Lerner? Heck, we had bleechers and board racks! First class, baby! It was the first kneeboard-only titles – meaning we didn’t have to piggyback with a footsurfer event. And thanks to Fred & Sons it was the first titles to have a cash prize for the open finalists (cha-ching)!

Thanks again everyone and good luck TEAM USA in Phillip Island! Bring back some world titles!
Last edited by Jack Beresford on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

I want to post my favorite memory (aside from a Dad's impression of his son's performance) and that is:

Shayne Dimick's complete domination of the Junior Repechage to charge into the finals. Shayne was possessed and defeated Juniors several years his senior. Shayne then carried this high into the finals and surfed with confidence and style.

Congratulations Shayne!
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Well said Jack! I had fun seeing the old, and new faces again. Man it's fun taking over the SS Bowl on a great day! :lol: :wink:
Thanks to everyone who made it happen, especially my friends; Big Fred, and Mike Butler. Sure I have the full Bolsa sponsorship, (all the stickers I want), but Mike is to be commended for donating a lot of stuff. I hope his course follows Bob Hurley's. 8) :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
KenM

Post by KenM »

Mike, you mean you want him to sell Bolsa to Nike? :lol:
Captain Kneemo fan club

photos from the contest

Post by captainsoncho »

go to captainsoncho.com