TEAM USA 2011 World Titles

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

US Competitors, Are you planning to attend the 2011 World Titles in Phillip Island?

Yes, I've already entered
30%
Yes, I will be entering soon
6%
Hopeful, I want to go but will be a last minute decision
6%
No, I will not be attending
58%

Total votes: 33

frencho
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by frencho »

Please guys post who won!!!! everybody in Puerto rico is rooting for Albert!!!!
Always wake up Smiling... That way life starts to line up a little better and a lot more fun...
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

Another interesting note:

Albert bested Chayne in both the Open Semi-Final and then again in the Final,
but Chayne won the championship in the age level Senior division over Albert.

Quite a competitive rivalry brewing there...
waka

Post by waka »

Congrats Albert, 2011 ISA Kneeboard Champ!!
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
frencho

Post by frencho »

Al fin Albert!!!!! Al Fin!!!!!!!!!!!
Always wake up Smiling... That way life starts to line up a little better and a lot more fun...
randiego

Post by randiego »

I'll write more later, but we had a fun week - the surf and conditions were disapoointing but not much to be done about that.
Bob battled Steve Artis for most of his heat but sealed the deal with a solid late wave.
John Mel won his heat with a buzzer beater that put him .05 in front!
I feel for the guys that are leaving before the surf improves, but jenny and I are off to NSW, and Bob and Carole will be headed that way too.

Huge congrats to Albert! He had a huge smile and gave a classy speech.
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Anthony B
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Anthony B »

Congratulations Albert,well done mate.Good results for the Parkes team :)
MWROBERTSON

Winning

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Albert, A big congrats to you! I have been watching you ripping and improving from a far. You are the King of competitive Kneeboarding now. 8)

Also a congrats to all the competitors and age division finalists. Job well done! It sounded like the conditions were tough.

I hope all had a great time and a special thanks was given to all the organizers and staff that pulled the event off. Tons of work I'm sure.

Until next time eh?
jamie

Post by jamie »

Wow!
Just home from phillip island, pretty amazing 10 days away.
The highlight for many was catching up with old friends and making new ones, massive shout out to guys and girls who travelled from afar.

Waves were of variable quality, good generally on the high tides, ok on the incoming mid tides, difficult on low tide and gave guys with rip bank experience a huge advantage.

Recap on how things went down from my perspective, the judging was remarkably similar to Santa Cruz, where open surfers in particular were required to put there boards on rail and above the lip on the outside sections of waves to score big, surfers who played it safe or were perceived to have held back on excellent waves were not rewarded and no doubt many were perplexed by the results. I went down by 0.05 and 0.1 of a point in two separate heats and missed out on semis accordingly.
Completion of manoeuvres was another area where the judges were ruthless, if you did not surf cleanly out of a turn or hit you were not rewarded.

Albert was clinical in his approach, he went big almost all the time, he came unstuck a few times but kept at it and never gave up. his comp results in 08 and 09 where he had a succession of 4th place final results, are a testimony to this win - all or nothing, go home with no regret.
Congrats!

The other three finalists were all consistently the best each day of the event and deserved to be in the final.

It was a marathon event, with day1 and day 2 running for 10hrs each, lessons will be learnt with regard to size of the draw and entry requirements.
Jamie
stevea

Team USA 2011 World Titles

Post by stevea »

Fantastic result young Albert your vertical attack all contest will i hope inspire the future of kneeboard surfing ,Chayno was so close to taking away Alberts moment, during the whole event it was Chayno pushing Albert to his limits or was it Albert pulling Chayne to new boundaries ,as i imagine they have been doing in their free surfing sessions since Albert moved to the Gong
Thats not to say that Kyle or Parksy werent in the equation .Kyles surfing all contest was focused on stretching the criteria for the judges and other competitors his big air floaters and hooks under the lip were pulling gasps from his peers all event
Parksy if he is not the amongst the best over 50s surfers in the world in any surfing discipline then give it all away ,how he competes at the open level is amazing and is no slur on the younger crew he is freakish
The whole week was a great adventure for me i was stoked to put faces to the names from the KSUSA site meet up with old friends make some newbies share a few tales and a couple of beers and generally feel the stoke of what it is to be a kneelo from so many perspectives
jamie

Post by jamie »

see surfing australia story from there website

Penguin Parade by night, ISA Kneeboard Surfing World Title deciding venue by day.

Friday, 25 March 2011
(Phillip Island, Vic – Tuesday 22nd March 2011). An increase in swell has forced a venue change for the 2011 ISA Kneeboard World Surfing games.

Contest director Adrian Sorati made the wise decision to move the event from wild and out of control swell Woolamai beach to the protected right hand reef break known to locals as the “The Crack”.

Interestingly, the beach is also home to the Penguin Parade, Australia’s most popular wildlife attraction and home to the world’s largest colony of the Little Penguin.

Every night at sunset, thousands of Little Penguins come ashore and march across the beach to their homes; small burrows that litter the coastal dune system.

Today the spectators who filled the beach grandstands at the Penguin Parade saw Christophers (Taranaki, New Zealand) crowned ISA Kneeboard Surfing Pro Junior Champion.

Christophers’ two scoring rides in the Pro Junior division final were a 6 and a 7.5 (out of a possible 10).

Despite having won ISA Kneeboard Surfing World Titles in the Cadet, Junior and Pro Junior divisions previously, Christophers was more than pleased to be taking home the title today.

“This title is really special to me, I have never been to Phillip Island and am really enjoying my time here.”

“We have had a wide variety of waves, big and small, messy and clean”.

“The waves here at the Penguin Parade are tough, there are still a few fun ones out there though. I don’t think I will ever forget winning here today”.

Finishing second to Christophers was Matt Novakov (AUS, 7.7) with Sam Coyne (USA, 5.25) in third and Kelvin Weir (NZ, 4.45).

Chayne Simpson (AUS) continued his dominance in the Open Men’s division, his 16.05 point two wave total (out of a possible 20) seeing him take out his quarter-final.

With Simpson taking a commanding lead, second was a tight battle between his fellow Australians Greg Geddes and Jamie McHugh.

In the dying stages of their quarter-final McHugh chasing a score of 5.35 came agonizingly close to progressing to the semi finals, locking in a 5.25 on the siren.

The event will conclude tomorrow at a location to be decided. With ten World Titles to be decided spectators are looking forward to some exciting Kneeboard surfing action.
Jamie
jamie

Post by jamie »

another story same source

Wild weather challenges the worlds best Kneeboard surfers at Woolamai Beach.

Friday, 25 March 2011
(Phillip Island, Vic – Tuesday 22nd March 2011). In intense cold front has battered the ISA Kneeboard Surfing World Titles at Phillip Island.

The opening heats of day 5 got underway in almost picturesque conditions before event director Adrian Sorati was forced to postpone the event for several hours as gale force westerly winds and persistent rain assaulted the event.

“We knew there was a front coming, but no one could have predicted it to be this wild” said Sorati.

“We have a really restricted window to run this massive event, we have had to go on hold to allow our judges to relocate out of the weather into the Woolamai Surf Life Saving Club ”

The wild weather failed to dampen performance levels, with Hamish Christophers (NZ) locking in two of the highest two wave totals of the day.

In his Open round of 48 heat, Christophers locked in the days single highest score of a 9.0 (out of a possible 10) to easily win his way through to the round of 24.

Not content with his Open heat win, Christophers secured a 14.95 two wave total (out of a possible 20) to comfortably win his Pro Junior division heat.

In a true testament to the challenging conditions, the first Open women’s semi final was a very unusual affair.

A total of fourty waves were ridden, with an incredible twenty-eight of those registering a score below two points (out of a possible 10).

To make the judges tasks even more difficult, an interference was awarded against Shane Metcalf (AUS) who was deemed to have hindered the scoring potential of one of her competitors waves.

At the end of the frantic 20 minute heat, Jordan Cooksley (NZ) took the victory with a two wave total of 8.75 (out of a possible 20). Placing second behind Cooksley was Cynthia Wornham (7.25, USA), with third going to Rebecca Heemi (7.00, NZ) and Metcalf in fouth with 4.25 points.
Jamie
feralmick

Post by feralmick »

In Nowra and slowly heading to Qld where Noosa is 3-4ft and offshore all week.
Great 2 weeks for me, even though i came close to last.
Unbelievable surfing in tough conditions, AND A WELL DESERVED WIN TO
ALBERT.
One of my highlights on finals day was watching the cadets. Pleanty of high scores and effort from the 4 competitors. Impressive win by Tom Novakov but just as impressive was the KIWI TEAM who formed a guard of honour along the boardwalk to cheer Tom, while their competitor Kurt Geiseler was a very impressive 2nd.
To anyone who i promised to send photos, i havn`t forgotten--will be home on the weekend possibly, then it will take time to sort through 2,000 pics.
red

Post by red »

Sunday evening. Express Point. 6-8' and a little onshore. 3 kneeboarders (Pete Maclure, Gav Lewis, Red), big ledges and free falls and exhilarating rides. Monday and Tuesday and the Island is pumping. Did we have the world's one week too early? Maybe. But it was a great comp and the victors deserve their reps for handling everything from 1' beachies to 4' reefs and big washing machine onshore.

Nice to see you guys again and meet new friends. Saving pennies for Tahiti next time.
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

Red hello , so where did you come , maybe it was just me but when i looked i could not see the placings of our age division ?

Regards
Terence
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Red, your a bad man, i deliberately didn't check the surf as i drove off the island on sunday morning heading for the airport. To know that it was going off and i couldn't surf was bad enough, but i landed at cooly and was met with howling on shores and pissing down rain. Then on top of that i think feral mick gave me his lurgy so now i'm coughing and sneezing and feeling like shite.

A pox on you all :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!