Ridiculous video of finless surfing by Derek Hynd

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

waka
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by waka »

try this www.harddartz.com

Dont know if they have made a kneeboard model yet, but Wiss was keen to make one.
Below are a few pics from last year down here on the southcoast.

[albumimg]26219[/albumimg]

[albumimg]26218[/albumimg]

[albumimg]26217[/albumimg]

[albumimg]26215[/albumimg]

[albumimg]26216[/albumimg]

[albumimg]26214[/albumimg]
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

I welcome Derek Hynd to the Rail Grabbers Club.
Surf Hard Live Slow
tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tomway »

[albumimg]26216[/albumimg]

Thing of beauty whether it works or not.
Imagine shaping that :!:
Imagine glassing and sanding that :?: :!: :?:
Last edited by tomway on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomway

Post by tomway »

Don't know what any of this means but it's an entertaining read all the same:
http://www.harddartz.com/Harddartz/About%20Us.html

The boards clearly speak for themselves. And the surfers.

Thanks for sharing Waka.
waka

Post by waka »

The 'Wizz' is certainly out there, great bloke with some fantastic opinions and ideas....a very fliud mind indeed.
Was speaking to Russ last Saturday morning at wrecky, he is picking up a new 'dart' this week, and my cuz over at Marg's WA is getting a handle on them now, they make kite boards, bodyboards etc.....but the tow in stuff is insane, the one from the clip at Shipsterns i have pics of as well, solid timber, they put a real little trail fin in it!
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
MJ

Post by MJ »

Hmmm, here is finless.

RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Er ... I see one of the three founders of Harddartz is Roy Lentz, of Dee Why Point fame, mate of PC etc etc etc.

Kneeboarders interested in finless surfing look no furtherer!

As usual, where there's innovation there's a man kneeling.
stevea

ridiculous video of surfing finless board by derek hynd

Post by stevea »

Wow i m flabbergasted just had all my fin theories thrown out the door ,while i have the utmost respect for Derek as a surfer and writer .Icant help but be reminded of the Midget Farrelly designed slideslipper of the early 70s ,it did introduce the low soft rail but had little other impact so i guess something positive might come from the experimentation going on .Bit early to call it innovation
As for the guy on the block of foam sort of put the wild contours of the hardartz into perspective and gave the glassers and sanders out there an argument to back up their f*** off i,m not touching that
But who really knows something positive may emerge its just that im too young to care and too old to change still id be keen to justice to the hype
fruitbat

Post by fruitbat »

Reminds me of a Duranbah comp 1977 I think. Ian cameron from Noosa Heads broke his fin off {single fin days}. He went on to win his heat.Great surfing -great control.Steve do you remember that one? :D
By the way this was 4-6 ft Kirra no easy feat.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

What I found most instructive regarding Derek's surfing was the way the rail drove the bottom turns. His technique is similar to our kneeboarding technique when turning off the bottom. It proves out what I have always said is that kneelos turn off the rail not the fins (unlike surfers).

I also loved the strange lines he took. This style of board could work well for us kneelos to play around with. Maybe I'll get one!
kiwikripple
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by kiwikripple »

Sf firestarter wrote -
the new SUP...i'de rather ride a piece of plywood
I can picture it now...

I'm paddling out, - SUP, sitting 80 yard's out starts paddling, 60 yard's closer he finally catches the wave, 'skipper' promptly falls off the stern of his vessel, his ship plowing shoreward toward me, his mid-life crisis 'Laird' inspired bulk no match for the forward momentum of his unmanned tug, his three thousand pound breaking strain leash stretching out to it's full thirty feet to no effect!
Do I duck dive and risk a keel hauling or do I dive sideways and hope the bow wave pushes me to safety :shock:

I'm paddling out, - ' Alaia boi' takes off but fails to set his edge grain. He and his beloved piece of driftwood oh so cosmically go over the falls in front of me. 'A boi' is struggling to break the surface, his soggy 'Machado' dreadlocks now acting like some kelpbed around his face.I see his lease-less plank rocketing towards me in the white wash like some 7ft long, 8ply
machete! 'Alaia boi' throws me a shaka as I duck dive and wait for the lobotomy :evil:

I'm paddling out - After hammering a bottom turn and completing 26, 360 degree spins across the entire break 'Fin-less guy promptly throws up over himself and falls off right in front of me, both corn chowder and board about to rain down upon me! I duck dive and his board slides painlessly and fin-lessly down my back just as his leash hauls it to a stand still. I pop up, brush the corn off,hi five him and carry on out 8)

Take your pick :wink:

Shaun[/url]
frog

Post by frog »

Unreal surfing! I recall seeing a kneeboard in the old surf mag. Back in the early or mid '70. These guys were side slipping on the face of the waves. I know there a couple of pictures showing a finless kneeboard. I wish I could remember which mag. Old age!!
Anyways, It look fun to ride as a kneeboard. I agree with Tom we do turn on our rail more than our fins. I like to try one!
Bob Gove
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

ridiculous video of

Post by Bob Gove »

kiwikripple-for someone with only 7 posts under your belt, I think you have a great future on this site! A great would you rather scenario-can't decide if I want to be puked on or not, but the other 2 possibilities sound more damaging. I just liked the unique approach Derek had to surfing. I was watching some of the contest in Hawaii this weekend, and there was so much repetition of the same slash off the top and cutback into the soup approach that it was boring to watch. Mind you, it wasn't down the line 4' overhead Jeffery's Bay, but still, I think if someone without fins got out there and did what Derek can do, it would sure mix things up, make people take notice and be a lot more entertaining. Just my take.
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

A friend of mine fom Taos, NM Mike Schecter has surfed a modified bonzer without a fin for years down in mainland Mex and still does now in midddle Baja all winter. He freaks people out with the 360 in the tube stuff. He is 65 years old now and windsurfs big waves mostly. He's crazy.
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi