Ridiculous video of finless surfing by Derek Hynd

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Bob Gove
Local (More than 25 post)

Ridiculous video of finless surfing by Derek Hynd

Post by Bob Gove »

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2010/0 ... f-surfing/ I would really like to try out a board like this. [albumimg]26170[/albumimg]
Last edited by Bob Gove on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kbk66

Post by kbk66 »

that looks pretty fun
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by K-man »

If I remember correctly munoz had a proto finless board back in the 80's??It peaked quite a bit of interest in the underground segment of surfing,Naturally...the idea died an inglorious death.... :lol: Good to see it has made a comeback.
kiwikripple
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by kiwikripple »

This looks truly awesome :!: I always feel that the there is somehow a disconnect between the wave and a lot of todays moves ie Airs etc, not that i have the ability to do any of them :oops: :lol: It's like the wave and the manuoeuvre have no relationship with one another :?: This on the other hand is like he's dialed in to the waves movement never breaking from it's surface just riding it's energy- ahh crap I think I'm having a greenough moment :!: :!
Anyway one of those bottom turns you'd swear he was kneeboarding, I think someone with skill should try this as I see this thing very KB friendly :lol:
Thanks Bob for posting.
DYdamo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DYdamo »

I dunno boy's................
It would take someone who surf's on thier rail 100% of the time...........
definately not many of them around anymore........
Derek's surfing has always been sh!t-hot to me but as you can see after every bottom turn he spins and spins and spins and ..............
I know I'd just get dizzy and fall off anyway.........But each to thier own.. 8)
KenM

Re: post

Post by KenM »

K-man wrote:If I remember correctly munoz had a proto finless board back in the 80's??It peaked quite a bit of interest in the underground segment of surfing,Naturally...the idea died an inglorious death.... :lol: Good to see it has made a comeback.
K-man, which Munoz, Albert or Mickey? :lol:
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by jdkneelo »

Makes the you get all you,re drive from your fins stories sound silly. I seriously hope this doesn,t catch on like the SUP thing , it could get mighty dangerous.
griz

Post by griz »

I find this incredibly inspiring and refreshing to see someone taking different lines incorporated with a unique style pulling this in parts of the wave generally reserved for rail and fin work. How many vids have you watched and tyre of the same text book manuvers repeated add nausium . Not that I have any desire to pursue this line of attack but to me it is a great big deep breath of fresh air pulled off by one of the biggest nutbags I've had the personel privilage of witnessing .
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Yep Griz, inspiring and refreshing for sure.

JD, you're onto something. Drive has to come first of all from the wave. Fins can direct and even amplify it, but without a wave, there can be no surfing.

Now might be a good time to reflect on the development of the modern surfboard. When Duke Kahanamoku brought surfing to California in 1912 and Australia in 1914, the boards he made and rode had no fins. The fin concept was added much later in order to overcome sideslipping. Its success in this regard led to radical changes in board design and surfing styles. That the addition of the fin to the surfboard was perhaps too successful an innovation is an idea being examined lately by a few, but it is by no means a new idea. There is a small crew of paipo riders scattered around the world who never really took to the idea at all. The current Surfers Journal should make interesting reading for those looking for a connection between what Derek Hynd is doing now and what was happening elsewhere 50 odd years ago.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Chris Taloa
sf_firestarter

Post by sf_firestarter »

Really, do you have to ride a finless board looking like you are taking a dump? There are guys riding bodybaords standing up and they make real turns without fins.

Also, how much shaping can you put in the bottom before it qualifies as fins?

the new SUP...i'de rather ride a piece of plywood.
K-man

Post by K-man »

The man's been around awhile,payed his dues.Pretty damned good pro surfer,and a pretty damned good journalist.(some might disagree)Anyways...His call,yeah?All that slidey shite looks like fun to me...Don't see it replacing finned boards though.Besides,it gave us all something to yack about.... :lol:C'mon admit it!Most of us would jump at the chance to ride thar bugger...built as a kneeboard though.

Don't be a smartass kenny. :lol: Albert was probably just a pup about that time!

cheers
KenM

Post by KenM »

K-man wrote:Don't be a smartass kenny. :lol:
K-man you know there's not much chance of that. Back on topic, I recall an article in Surfer Mag, mid 70's that had some pics of a finless kneeboard with a slot in the bottom called the Auga board or something like that that was being ridden in the south bay and Maui. Had a pic of a guy riding one sideways in the tube. So the concept has been applied to kneeboards. Anyone remember those things? Anyone? Bueller?
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by tomway »

KenM wrote: mid 70's that had some pics of a finless kneeboard with a slot in the bottom called the Auga board or something like that that was being ridden in the south bay and Maui
Never heard or seen this but sounds interesting. The 'slot' sounds like something which is taking off at the moment.

The real advances in finless board design are using induction ports, not contours.

If you go to swaylocks.com and search for posts by Herb Spitzer in the US or an Oz guy called surffoils there's some pretty mind blowing stuff going on.

These guys reckon their boards feel EXACTLY like finned boards... but without fins. :shock:

Imagine how useful that could be! No worries about kelp. No worries about losing a fin to the reef at low tide racetrack or bingin... or to over zealous luggage handlers.

The oz guy is even experimenting with a kind of fin-system that you could potentially swap out depending on conditions.

Then again, a port in your board will never look as beautiful as a hand foiled fin by the likes of mitchell rae, gephart or liddle. Sometimes I think well foiled fin fins are sexier than boards :lol:
Bill F

Post by Bill F »

I remember the guys riding those.They worked good. I think they had molded plastic ones