ASP Contests 2011

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

sf_firestarter
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Budweiser Pro = Ripcurl Search

Post by sf_firestarter »

Any of you guys remember the old Budweiser Pro that was held at Ocean Beach, San Francisco for many years? All I remember is the surf seemed to be unusually flat for every contest and we took home many a giant banner. They canceled it after the last year of 1-2 foot mushburgers. I think OB was telling them to just go away.

So what's OB going to have in store for the Ripcurl? I'm conflicted, shitty surf means all those guys don't come back contest or not but good surf could be something great to see...hmmm
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

SF was the old contest during the same time of the year?
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

From the archives...

This is the last contest I remember at OBSF: Nov '99

Roughly same location, roughly same time of year... probably a smaller window for the contest.

[fullalbumimg]28699[/fullalbumimg]
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

As posted at erBB:

(Queue in Flight of the Valkyries scene in Apocalypse Now)

Source: http://surftweeters.com/ap-rip-curl-sea ... francisco/

After the GGNRA recently denied Rip Curl's request for approval of Jet-Ski assist for the upcoming ASP World Tour event scheduled for November 1st in San Francisco's Ocean Beach, contest organizers were left with some doubt as to whether the event could go on.

GGNRA officials were initially optimistic about providing approval, however ultimately it was determined that concerns for setting a precedent for future events trumped the contest's desire to ease access for the ASP competitors.

Enter Bear Grylls.

"I'm totally stoked to be working with the ASP to find a solution to this problem -- I've always been a huge fan of surfing." said Grylls. He continued, "We're going to heli the boys out over the rows of whitewater in the event that a solid swell arrives for the contest, and I'll be providing pre-contest training and instruction on how to drop safely from the chopper and into the water. Who knows -- maybe someone will
pull off an air drop right into a wave!"

Not everyone is happy with this development.

"It's bullshit. They want to make it like some kind of reality TV show crap. That's not surfing. They're ruining the sport," said former ASP contender Bobby Martinez. Martinez was recently suspended from the tour after delivering a profanity-laden tirade against the ASP after winning his heat in the recent Quiksilver Pro event in New York.

Others were more receptive.

"I dunno, I guess it'll be interesting. I never got a chance to jump from a heli on Baywatch, so this will be a new challenge for me," commented 10-time ASP champion Kelly Slater, who is on track for an unprecedented 11th world title after defeating Owen Wright at the Hurley Pro at Lower Trestles.

Contest organizers are confident they're bringing an innovative and necessary evolution to professional surfing. "Sure, it's never been done, but we can't have 90 minute heats and still get a contest done in a swell window. Purists will argue, but things change -- and we're excited to be involved in the development and evolution of professional surfing," said Rip Curl contest organizer Dave Prodan.

The Rip Curl Search event is scheduled to start November 1 in San Francisco.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Looking at swell forcast this will be something to watch :twisted:
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
KenM

Post by KenM »

With jet skis ruled out the ASP has secured a Zodiac to shuttle competitors around once they make it outside. :roll: :lol:
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by SFKneelo »

Just got back from surfing & watching R1 heats 10-12... warm, sunny and folks are out in force.

There was a jetski out back, but not tow assists that I saw. These guys were ripping, and handling the paddle just fine.

It's quite a show, and weather couldn't have been better. The waves? Yes, could have been... but the surfing was stellar.
KenM

Post by KenM »

Heard on the radio that Dusty Payne exited his heat early after spotting the landlord.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by SFKneelo »

Just saw the story on Channel 2 news... and I'm in the crowd pan wearing a KSUSA T... :lol:
jamie

Post by jamie »

Hey Bob,
I remember surfing out VFW's with you and Don 10 years back. It was way bigger than today and no else on the beach, pretty sure guys were surfing Mavericks and I was wondering WTF was i doing out OB, especially on a 5'10 four fin. The wave i caught in was so big that when it reformed close to sure i air dropped about 6 foot to the bottom. My big wave was half the size of the ones you and Don caught. Pretty sure i told the missus that arvo I thought you guys were crazy!
Jamie
Scott

Post by Scott »

Fun to watch the way the pros attacked just a pretty good (but not great) day at Ocean Beach. I saw more made tubes by those guys in just a few hours at OB than I have seen in total in many years of occasionally surfing there. If there is a barrel to be had, they know just how fast to surf to set it up and they just don't miss it. A whole different level of surfing, IMO...
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
The Creediler
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by The Creediler »

Watched the contest all morning! So nice to see good conditions. I was on the beach with all the SF locals and it was dredging on the sand bar. A lot harder than it looked on line. Kelly, obviously shined as did Jordy and Hobgood got the sickest pit of the day!
randiego

Post by randiego »

I've been looking for you characters on the cam when they pan the crowd 8)

Amazing weather! People are wearing shorts on the beach... it sure didn't look like that back in May when were up there.... :lol: :lol:
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Ke11y Slater makes it #11. 8) Amazing conditions all day for OB.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction