Does anyone know why there will be no kneeboard surfer there

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

stevea
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Does anyone know why there will be no kneeboard surfer there

Post by stevea »

THE Worlds Masters Surfing Titles will be held in El Salvadore 2011 ,I was thinking this would be a perfect event for a kneeboard division ,it is an ISA sanctioned event the same as the recent WT event in PI ,a close friend of mine will be a judge at the event he cant believe how far kneeboard surfing has slipped from the surfing collective since he first began his career as a judge
What is the reason ,some of his most memorable moments as a judge were at events where kneeboard surfers were a part of the whole ,he remembers Parkes ,Nov, Simon, Kyle as some of the best surfers he has seen ,they rank along side their shortboard peers by those who know
Kneeboard surfing needs to once again become a part of the whole not apart from it ,otherwise we are destined to dwell in a hole of our own making
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Steve, now that Stapo is an official, maybe things will change. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
albert

Post by albert »

Even though I am not officially involved in any capacity I think I can shed some light to this situation.

In 2002 the ISA began to enact an initiative to separate the worlds into smaller, more manageable events. The result was most noticeable in the separation between the ISA Junior worlds (teams consisting of four under 18s boys, four under 16s boys, two under 18 girls, and two under 16 girls I think) and ISA Open worlds (teams consisting of four open mens, two longboarders, and two open womens). This made these events able to be run in under a week, double beached for only some of the time. In contrast to the previous events where three podiums were surfed nonstop for over 7 days.

Running world titles for other divisions, such as womens bodyboard, mens bodyboard, and kneeboards were delegated to the sport's respective international (and ISA affiliated) governing body.

This move has allowed for the development of other types of events such as the Masters world titles (an event not considered feasible prior to 2002 by the ISA).

I should stress, however, that in kneeboard world titles there are a whole spread of age divisions, including Masters, which are not seen in most other surfing world events. I do believe that the team spirit has been abandoned in most of these events, Steve. In that point I do agree with you.
red

Re: Does anyone know why there will be no kneeboard surfer t

Post by red »

stevea wrote:he cant believe how far kneeboard surfing has slipped from the surfing collective
I don't remember kneeboarding ever being more than a side-show at large surf events.

With dozens of the worlds top kneeriders competing heat after heat for the title, the current system is working well to provide a credible champion. With no age groups in future World's, maybe more could (will?) be done to formalise the country (team) aspect of the event

If we want to be in the surfing collective mix, then we should be fighting to compete head to head with standups (just like women and juniors can).
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Seems like the ISA is giving fair coverage to the kneeboarding worlds on their website. I am happy with the way things are. I like hanging with a bunch of kneeboarders at a big contest, and having all the age groups. It gives people another opportunity to have some fun if they get bumped from the main event.
Personally I wouldn't travel to some part of the world to compete against a hand full of guys my age during (later in the day blown conditions) at a regular footy contest, (sideshow.)
I also wouldn't travel half way around the world to surf in a main event with guys 30 years my junior. At least with an age group event added I have a chance at something, or so I think. :wink:
I would wager that people under 20, and over 35 generally would be thinking the same way.
If the age groups get cut, then the contest would be much smaller I think, and less money would be raised to run an event.
Sure the world champion would be decided much quicker, but at what cost to the sport?
I'm happy the way things are. Just my two cents. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
stevea

does anyone know why there will be no kneeboard surfer there

Post by stevea »

Albert thanks for shedding the light ,i now realise the logistics alone of including kneeboarders make it impossible
Mike i am absolutely for the kneeboard worlds as they are ,and enjoyed the company of an international line up yes the coverage was good ,my post was clumsy im not blaming miss bintang but she was there
Miss Bintang had the judge and i talking about the days when kneeboard surfers featured in schoolboy ,regional ,state and national events as well as at selective pro events ,the thought of surfing in front of the best shortboarders of the time for me was a totally positive experience
Red cant agree about the the sideshow perception that was never my experience,yes i think the current system works well it will be a pity if the age groups are not at future worlds but i guess thats progress
badknees1

Kneeboard divisions

Post by badknees1 »

I am probably wrong but weren't the kneeboard heats usually at the end of the stand up heats. DId the kneelos get the leftover wave crumbs? And also the mags used to have kneeboarding featured in some of the issues, but the mags now are mostly ads anyway, selling so much stuff I don't even read them any more, its hurts my brain. I like our gatherings and contests and the scrimmages too. The comraderie and competition is great even the scrimmages are fun...and alot of kneelos are real characters and world class people as well, and you know...it's a cool sport...unique....everybody stand up surfs and alot of people body board and SUP is hyper popular but very few kneeboard. So when you see another kneelo there is an automatic connection there that is not so apparent with other surfers. So maybe doing our own thing is a good thing. What I do wish for is more younger folks getting in the kneelo realm...wait...they can paddle faster and catch those waves I am flapping for..... hmmm maybe not.