KSUSA 2012 Kneeboard Surfing Titles and Kneeboard Festival

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

results

Post by Jack Beresford »

Another incredible event! Unofficial results for the Open Division:

1. Chris Beresford
2. Tom Backer
3. Ed Quinn
4. Pat Evans

Full results, analysis and other tall tales to come!

Jack
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Congrats to all the finalists and to our new, and deservingly so champ, CHRIS BERESFORD 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

What an amazing come back for TOM BACKER, it's a F'ing Miracle :!:
Brought a tear to my eyes. Good on ya my friend :D :D :D
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Congrats to them all. Tough when you want them all to win.
Never leave well enough alone.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Like Wayno said, it really is a miracle. Tom with a broken neck, Chris with his neck injury, and Robb Salfen surfed great after injuring his back, and neck saving a family from a loose kite boarding kite a few months ago. Inspiring you guys :!:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
joe

Post by joe »

Contest Results:

Open:
1- Chris Beresford
2- Tom Backer
3- Ed Quinn
4- Pat Evans

AAA:
1- Mike Fernandez
2- Randy Reed
3- Brad Colwell
4- Alberto Colucci

AA:
1- Paul Devoy
2- Giovanni Benitez
3- Don Harris
4- Scott Kinyoun

Juniors:
1- Evan Odom
2- Shayne Dimick
3- Chris Linn

Women:
1- Cathy Yturralde
2- Cynthia Wornham
3- Jan Fadden

Team:
1- International
2- Kneelo Cove
3- NorCal
4- Blacks
5- OC
6- Juniors
7- Mojado
Amanda Taylor
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Amanda Taylor »

I just want to say how lucky I am to be part of such a wonderful community.
This contest was awesome... yes, it had some hick-up, burps, and scrapes. As I see it... a work in progress.
Overall, the stoke that surrounds the event is out of this world.
Major thanks to:
Don Harris, who had the foresight many moons ago to form KSUSA, his undying support and commitment to kneeboarding and our community as a whole.
Joe Coyne, for his endless updating of the site, posting, modifying, and keeping track of things.
Jack Beresford for creating the press releases, coordinating the press efforts, and endless support for the competition
Brad C for his support, suggestions, merchandise set up, high level of surfing.
Ed Dimick for bringing me in on my first few calls,
Robb Masser for standing out on the beach for hours, filming, editing, documenting the event, and doing ALL the art work for the shirts, posters, hoodies, etc.
John Mel for his contributions as a sponsor and competator; you are a World Champ in many ways, not just for your surfing
Tom Linn for all his insight and assistance with KSUSA and its goals
Mark Robertson for his help in getting me up to speed as the new Treasurer, and sharing his knowledge and stoke for the sport, and thank him immensly for seeing and having the faith in me that I could do the job.
and finally....
Big Tony... hey BIGS, smalls here... your connections are amazing, your desire to create something awesome is duely noted, your love for being a waterman is unsurpased by few, the banter, the fun, and the outcome... a mere thank you does not seem to be enough.

To the contestants, sponsors, supporters, and anyone else that I have forgotten to mention... I participate in KSUSA because I love seeing the stoke of those involved... to help support the love for the sport of kneeboarding, to share your passion both in and out of the water, to continue to foster the waterman/woman spirit.

Lastly, to my husband, JT... day in and day out, you are there, supporting me in all the craziness of the contest, your own hours of tireless preparation (I know you didn't ride as well in your heats as you usually do because of the crazy hours you put in with me), helping me where ever it is needed, and being part of this wonderful ride.

Mucho mahalo to all.

Hey guys, I know it's wordy, but I am a girl... what can I say.

Amanda/Singe
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Okay, where are all the photos? C'mon we that couldn't make it want to see the evening shenanigans and know who won the swag!! :D
Last edited by alfredo zavala on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

From reading your post Amanda, I'd say Kneeboard surfing has a major plus in they're ranks with the treasurer .... well posted.

Cheers Wolruss
joe

Post by joe »

alfredo zavala wrote:Okay, where are all the photos? C'mon we that couldn't make it want to see the evening shenanigans and know who won the swag!! :D
Alfredo,
There is a photo album dedicated to this years contest. Lots of photos already there, and I know there are lots more yet to b posted.

Click here for 2012 US Titles Album

More photos at the OC Register ...
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/surf ... html?pic=1
Last edited by joe on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxb

Post by maxb »

All I have to say is,"all who had a hand in this contest and what went on behind the scenes,you should all pat yourselves on the back. Awesome job,all of you.I didn't spend alot of time there ,but it was great while I was there.
Thanks to all of you. Max
kbing newport
tahiti_nui

Post by tahiti_nui »

open final should be up in a few on YouTube @

http://youtu.be/PWN8XXLM7hE

it's the full 30 minutes, with Fig/Butler narrative.

highlight reels from both days are in post
should go live in the next few days...
Jack Beresford

contest recap

Post by Jack Beresford »

It's been 24 hours now since the final results were announced and several new US Champions crowned. Sandy's was really buzzing last night - and it wasn't just the Primo beer flowing freely (although for several it was).

Once again, the Kneelo community has come together, surfed a few waves, shared a few stories and moved on. Like so many years before the weather and waves seemed to come together just for our event. God must be a Kneeboarder!

Actually, it was clean and fun for a day-and-a-half. By Saturday afternoon, the swell waned and the onshores finally caught up with us - but it was hard to complain much with summer-in-January (again).

Highlights for me of course start with my brother Chris winning his first KSUSA title. Until last year's contest, he'd been mostly under the radar for a long time. But if you've had a chance to catch his act down at Blacks you know his surfing is world-class. So it was super cool to see him finally get his moment - and even better with most of the family there to see it. A couple months ago, his son Ian (10) called me on the phone to tell me very matter-of-factly that he had decided he wanted to become a Kneeboarder. How stoked he must have been to see his Dad taking out the US Title!

I actually would have been stoked for any of the finalists - all were deserving after surfing a great contest. Pat and EQ were on fire most of the event - taking down the past two champs (Billy and me) in an epic semi-final. And what more can be said about Tom Backer, to perform at the level he did just months after such a devastating injury? The guy just goes out and rips no matter what. And you won't find a nicer person and a better ambassador for Kneeboarding.

Props to Scott Wessling who powered his way into the semis - his best KSUSA result to date! Imagine if it had been big? Rob Salfen also overcame major injury and looks as good as ever. These two had the unfortunate luck to run into the Backer and Beresford - the broken neck boys!

Kudos to Evan Odom on his win in the junior final! He definitely gets "most improved." Now stop growing! The world needs more Kneeboarders, not basketball players!

The ladies put on a very entertaining display in tough, wind-blown conditions. Congrats to Cathy Yturralde, our new women's champ! She had some great, long rides that had folks on the beach cheering!

Also cool to see Paul Devoy and Mike Fernandez get wins in AA and AAA. These guys have been part of the crew for decades and the Kneelo Cove crew was very stoked for them (as we all were). I hear Devo just got engaged and this was his lovely fiance's first contest - better hold onto her she's your lucky charm!

Chris Buscemi didn't finish the way he wanted to but he also worked hard to overcome a pretty major injury and is surfing insane. Same for Bob Gove who overcame a bias by the judges against competitors with handles! Gove gets big props for dropping $1500 for the Tavarua trip - like he really needs another surf trip! And you just know he's going to score.

Awesome job by EQ, Jose and the Venezuelans who took out the Sandy's Team Challenge. Another disappointing year for the Blacks crew - but at least Kneelo Cove didn't win (and we get to come home and surf a real wave)!

Too many folks to thank but a special shout-out to Big Tony and Joe and Amanda Taylor who really were the brains and braun of the entire operation (I'll let you figure out which was which)!

Can't wait for next year!

Jack
Scott

Post by Scott »

Wow, Jack, that's a pretty amazing summary. Thanks. And thanks to all the hard work of the KSUSA "Central Committee" for a very fun event!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Jack Beresford

scott

Post by Jack Beresford »

On behalf of the committee "thanks right back at you!" Probably worth saying opinions expressed by Jack do not represent... :wink:
Bob Gove
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

2012 kneeboard titles and festival

Post by Bob Gove »

The Orange County register has a slide show with some pretty good photos http://www.orangecounty.com/sections/ar ... &db=orange