NSSA Southern California Kneeboard Contest Circuit 2012!!!

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

tahiti_nui
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tahiti_nui »

Great coverage & photos Mike: glad to have pro-quality reporting for those who couldn't attend.

Nice to see Evan and Ed do well, both are ardent evangelists for the sport and are so competitive.

Kinda flying under the radar is Paul's consistency in contest situations, and my wild card for the 2013 Titles - Chris Bermudez. He doesn't get the big press but heat after heat his surfing speaks for itself. Just a few of the right set waves and he'll be in the Open Final in January.

Great job to all who participated. Now on to Dec. 8th

FYI: for us more "longtime seasoned" riders, Body Glove has unveiled a new wetsuit line called LEGENDS Check it out.
eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by eqKneelo »

Fun day as usual... Not the best waves (as usual) but still great to hang on the beach with everyone. It was cold and raining everywhere in California, but sunny and warm in San Diego.

Congrats to Tom for somehow finding rideable waves in the final.

Congrats to Evan as well. Surfed a smart heat and did a great job with the conditions.

See you guys on the 8th
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Wooooooo the last of the NSSA regular season kneeboard contests is this Saturday, Dec. 8th.
C.P.Odom gave me directions to the contest sight.

The contest is at the south end of the Belmont Park parking lot:

4. Merge onto I-5 S.
5. Take the Sea World Drive exit, EXIT 21, toward Tecolote Road. 0.3 mi
6. Turn right onto Sea World Dr. 1.6 mi
7. Merge onto W Mission Bay Dr toward Mission Beach/Ingraham St. 1.8 mi
8. Turn left onto Mission Blvd. 0.0 mi
9. 3190 MISSION BLVD is on the left.

Giant Dipper Roller Coaster At Belmont Park Edit
3190 Mission Blvd, San Diego, CA 92109 - (858) 488-1549
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Looks like there will be some surf for this contest. Not sure of location, but either it's going to be at least 2-3, or 3-4ft. :wink:
http://www.surfline.com/surf-spots-brea ... diego_2953
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Kneeboard semi-final starts at 10am. Final is at 2:20pm
http://www.nssa.org/newsmanager/templat ... 1&zoneid=7

Going into the final contest, good luck you guys!
Close rankings between Evan Odom, Eric Peterson and Chris Bermudez.

Standings as of now.
2012/13 NSSA Season - Southwest Explorer Kneeboard
http://www.nssa.org/conferenceratings.asp?event=360

Rocky Point/Black Rock
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

If you're interested you can go to Surfline and check the Mission Beach surfcam for a look at the surf.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!
Brad
randiego

Post by randiego »

David surfed there this morning and said it was OH and fun. You guys will have waves, and the wind forecast is pretty good too.... :D
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Tom Linn wins the overall NSSA kneeboard season championship. Sean Noone wins the last regular season contest at Mission Beach, San Diego.

Having never placed below second place in a kneeboard final, Tom Linn has clinched the 2012 NSSA open season kneeboard points race Saturday Dec. 8, 2012 with his second place in the last contest of the open season, as Sean Noone took todays victory.
"I'm happy with my showing, two firsts and three second places overall," Linn said.
"It's just fun hanging out with the compadres," he added.
Tom will get an award from the NSSA for being the open season kneeboard champion. "Bring on the swag," Linn said.
In a surprise move Sean "the Bru" Noone won todays contest in weak three foot waves during the afternoon final.
Noone also won the first contest of the season, the first NSSA kneeboard contest in over 25 years.
"I kinda knew after winning the first contest and losing the second I had to put my head down," Noone said. "Each contest I made a big mistake, so I tried to not repeat that. We're getting old, so it takes three or four mistakes to get it right," Noone said. Noone, the biggest kneeboarder in the contest, surfed some juicy inside waves during the final that got him moving and pulling off some nice turns and closeout off-the-lips.
"I have five points to a contest," Noone said. "1. Build a house, catch a wave quickly. 2. Do turns. 3. Get a backup wave. 4. Stay close to the top seeds. 5. Combine it all and apply some pressure."
Noone's strategy paid off today.
The day started in three to four foot face mushy waves. The first semi-final heat included Tom Linn, Eric Peterson and Chris Bermudez. Tom Linn won with some solid rides combined with turns, cutbacks and off-the-lips. Eric Peterson received second place with some of the heaviest off-the-lips of the contest, but the rides were shorter compared to Linn's. Chris Bermudez rounded out the heat with some nice cutbacks.
The second semi-final had a little less quality waves than the first. Ed Quinn dominated the heat with the biggest floater of the contest on a nice right.
"The waves were ridable, I saw that right, got some speed and laid into that one. Too bad it wasn't in the final," Quinn said. "Hopefully surfing all these heats, I'll be in good shape for the KSUSA contest," Quinn added.
Evan Odom and Sean Noone advanced into the final leaving Tom Fish the lone guy out.
Tom Fish has been a steady competitor all season and will qualify for the West Coast championships in May 2013.
The final heat was in the afternoon with some wind on a fading wind swell.
Sean Noone won, with Tom Linn second, Evan Odom third, Eric Peterson fourth, Ed Quinn fifth and Chris Bermudez sixth.
Overall season ranking for 2012:
1st. Tom Linn
2nd. Sean Noone
3rd. Evan Odom
Stand by for further rankings.

It was a great season you guys. NSSA people are stoked and I heard people cheering from the beach in todays contest and in other contests for your rides.
See you guys in January for the KSUSA National Championships and in May for the NSSA West Coast Championships.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
Scott

Post by Scott »

Congrats to Tom Linn and all the guys! Fun reading all your narratives on these contests, Mike--that was a great service you provided us!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Congrats to Tom Linn for a great season. Great consistency at every event.

I especially wanna thank The Spaniard, Mike FERNDAWG! Fernandez.

None of this would have happened if it were not for him. His tireless work to keep everyone informed and shoot the events was just too cool.

Thanks Brother. 8)

Looks like we'll take a break, surf the KSUSA TITLES, then be back in the NSSA in May for the WEST COAST CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Cheers boys. That was fun.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Thanks you guys, your too kind. It was a pleasure, I had fun and I studied my competitors for the KSUSA contest. All I have to do is perform huge moves, catch big waves, get long rides and I should have it all wrapped up. :twisted: :wink:

Rocky Point/Black Rock
fishfinger

Post by fishfinger »

Thanx mike it was a blast...hopefully next year your in
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Thanks Tom.
I would like to thank all the competitors who participated to make this first season successful. It's great seeing fellow kneelos from different areas of CA. more often than usual.
I would also like to thank Joe Coyne and the KSUSA for the prominent spot they gave the series on the front page.
A lot of people are seeing kneeboarding in different areas of CA. Believe it or not I still had a guy come up to me and ask if I stood up with those fins on. I thought I left that behind on the east coast. :lol: He said it looked like fun. I kinda filled him in. Maybe he will start kneboarding, or come by to visit us in January. :wink:

Rocky Point/Black Rock
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

What a great NSSA season, hopefully the first of many.
This was a wonderful experience for Evan and it is due to all the hard effort of Mike Fernandez, thanks Mike!
Never leave well enough alone.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Thanks C.P. :wink:

Thanks to the NSSA for welcoming kneeboarding back into the fold.

Season rankings according to my calculations. Top 11 of 17 contestants.
1. Tom Linn
2. Sean Noone
3. Evan Odom
4. Eric Peterson
5. Chris Bermudez
6. Tom Fish
7. Ed Quinn
8. Paul Devoy
9. Chris Linn
10. Leonard Miller
11. Eric Osland
Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky Point/Black Rock