NSSA Southern California Kneeboard Contest Circuit 2012!!!

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

tahiti_nui
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tahiti_nui »

Here are some video highlights from the Championship event.

watch it now

please excuse the shakiness, we're trying out some different equipment
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

thanks for all that editing effort! Nice to see what everyone was trying to do with these sloppy and mostly underpowered waves.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
ericP
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by ericP »

Nice job on the video. Hopefully better waves and conditions for Nationals. Thanks to everyone involved in these contest. Its been a lot of fun.
fishfinger

Post by fishfinger »

so eric (spud) peterson is the point's leader with one more event to go....its getting interesting...so who's entering the nationals
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Evan is entered.
Is there a new points total?
Never leave well enough alone.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Kind of hoping there is only a final. Evan has a big basketball tournament those same days and something will have to give and it will likely be the contest unless he can just do a late in the day final.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Looks like there is one 25 minute NSSA National Kneeboard Championship Finals heat Friday June 28 at 1:10pm at the HB Pier.
http://www.nssa.org/newsmanager/templat ... 1&zoneid=7
Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

25mins! Nice.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Curtis I think the points race ended on the last open season contest. Tom Linn won a nice full length lined and hooded parka for being the points champion. He won the parka during the regional championships, but he wasn't there to get it. I have it along with Sean's and EQ's trophies for that contest. :D
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

Rocky Point/Black Rock
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Nationals are almost here. Not sure if Evan will make it. He made the Varisty basketball team this summer and they have a big tournament that weekend. We have our fingers crossed that he will get released for the contest.
tahiti_nui

Post by tahiti_nui »

Sure hope the kid can show up, he always keeps the energy level high.

Sol is showing 3-4ft on a rising tide, and HOT weather.

surf and sun boys,
time to bring your 'A' game
after all this is for the 'NSSA National Championship"
ain't been one of those kneelo champs in a long long long time.
Last edited by tahiti_nui on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

While I'm not in the comp I will be there to hang with boys and check out the sights. We can discuss next season then as well. Should be a fun day.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Looks like the kid can make it after all.
tahiti_nui

Post by tahiti_nui »

After watching the replay video from Surfline.com's HB Pier Southside cam for Thursday for the same time as Fridays heat I gotta go with KSPN Sports Centers assessment of Friday's heat.

“...with conditions of a smaller swell, slow rolling faces and few set waves, the 25 minute kneeboard final will bode well for anyone getting one solid ride and an admirable follow up wave. The longer inside rides could give the advantage to Lenard who is at home closer to shore on the inside break the rising tide will bring.

The bigger guys, Sean and Ed are going to have to wait it out for any pier bowls and hope the walls stand up long enough next to the pier to pull a few turns, otherwise they suffer the faith they had during the regular fall events with small surf. The younger Evan may have a stamina advantage over his older contestants, but without fins he may need to power stroke his way through the slow rollers to get the speed needed to pull off any prolific point moves.

Always in the shadow of bigger names, Chris is poised to place himself on the podium with a combination of board selection, frame size, basic scoring moves and wave selection, and no one can rule out Eric's Cinderella year. Joining the circuit at the second stop and his consistent placement, knack of local wave selection, and unorthodox sideways riding style may be just the combo to land him one of those beautiful pieces of “Big Iron” at the end of the heat.

Seeing that the kneeboarding community in the U.S. hasn't had a National Champion in over 25 years, these 25 minutes will mark a rebirth of sorts for this energetic surfing subculture, and hope this starts a renaissance of sorts for it's expose to a greater surfing audience.”
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Ok, if it's like it was today and it should be a little bigger Friday according to Surfline, there is a knarly current from the south during low tide, lets up a little on the high tide, so watch going left.
Today was 3-5ft. south, tomorrow is suppose to be 4-5ft. south. It was six foot faces on the sets.
High tide is around 3pm, so the heat is at 1pm, should be kinda high, mellow out the current.
See you tomorrow.
Good luck dudes!
tahiti_nui wrote: Seeing that the kneeboarding community in the U.S. hasn't had a National Champion in over 25 years, these 25 minutes will mark a rebirth of sorts for this energetic surfing subculture, and hope this starts a renaissance of sorts for it's expose to a greater surfing audience.”
PS, I think the KSUSA also has a National Champion every year unless I am missing something, now we will just have two from different associations.
Should make for some good shite talking and for the announcers during the KSUSA contest.

Rocky Point/Black Rock