2013 Kneeboard Surfing USA Titles and Festival - Huntington

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

alfredo zavala
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by alfredo zavala »

Today up above Pt. Conception the swell is just starting to show. . . 3-5' with some 6' sneaking through with Super strong offshores -Really good! Was just 2-3' @ day break. I will say that the long period nature of the swell is making even 4' waves just so much better. Hopefully you'll start to see this tomorrow or even tonight. Thanks for the link.
Caveman
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Caveman »

Been watching it on Surfline we got all 3 cameras up and keep checking for waves up north too!

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/hb- ... nia_58218/

Caveman been watching from home waiting for the EPIC waves!!
hahaha!!

and wishing for commentary .. maybe Skype??

Karri .. Cavemama :lol: :lol:
Jack Beresford

Day 1 Report

Post by Jack Beresford »

Day 1 of the KSUSA Titles was another great day to be a Kneeboarder! The contest was blessed with epic conditions and waist to chest surf that built throughout the day. Glassy conditions prevailed with air temps in the 70s and water temp in the mid-50 range. We ran at two areas and most heats had enough waves to give everyone a fair chance with long lefts and rights in both areas.

Standouts in the Open included Pat Evans who worked his twin fins around with ease and made every big hit. Ed Quinn also showed he means business and had several high scores in his heats. Sam Coyne danced around on the little waves and threw snaps at every opportunity. Bill Lerner caught a gazillion waves and worked them all to the beach. My brother Chris put on another dominating performance in his heats getting terrific speed on every wave. He flowed through roundhouse cutbacks, busted the tail lose and made it look pretty easy.

The contest will resume Sunday morning at 9 a.m. with the Open Quarters. Joining those above will be Brad Colwell, Chris Linn, Scott Wessling, Jason Foster, Robb Salfen, Joey Goodman, Wayne Kopit, Tom Linn, Greg Shewman, Tony B (who I'm told is a standup but who was killing it with a backhand style on the rights), myself and Bob Schiff. Bob is taking my brother's place in the quarters - since Chris has to work Sunday (bummer for him, good for the rest of us).

If all goes as planned we'll arrive at the pier tomorrow to find the swell at its peak - just in time for quarters, semis and finals. In addition to the Open, we've got AA, AAA, Juniors, Women and the team event (if any of us have enough strength). So there should be plenty of action and another big crowd on the beach and watching from the pier. I can't wait to see what the Juniors and Women do in their heats. It will be another long day but the weather should be perfect and plenty of fun waves to be had. Hope you can join us or at least check things from the cams.

Jack
jamie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jamie »

Cheers Jack.
Wish i was there, maybe next year.
Cool to get an update at the end of day 1.
Look forward to hearing about day 2.
Jamie
KEL

Post by KEL »

I had a GREAT time yesterday.......THANKS to everyone involved
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Open Results:
1. Jack Beresford
2. Bill Lerner
3. Sam Coyne
4. Patrick Evans
Congrats!!!
Bruzer
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Bruzer »

How cool is it that John Mel is riding great waves in a springie and Peter wins the Mavs Invitational?
badknees1

thank you

Post by badknees1 »

Thank you very mucho to Joe, Amanda, big Tony and the others who put this event on this weekend and every year.
Amanda Taylor

Official Results

Post by Amanda Taylor »

This was an amazing contest. Thank you to all who competed, supported and attended out 10th Anniversary US Titles.

Congratulations to all the winners.

Official results:

Open
1st- Jack Beresford
2nd- Bill Lerner
3rd- Sam Coyne
4th- Pat Evans

AAA
1st- Mark Robertson
2nd- Mike Fernandez
3rd- Sean Noone
4th- Don Harris

AA
1st- Steve Randall
2nd- Eric Peterson
3rd- Randy Morris
4th- Casey Patelski

Women's
1st- Kathy Yturralde
2nd- Cynthia Wornham
3rd- Jan Fadden
4th - Linda Reuter

Junior's
1st - Chris Linn
2nd- Tony Bartovich
3rd- Shayne Dimick
4th- Kai Jennsen
5th- Evan Odom

Team Event
1st- Black's Crew
2nd- Nor Cal/Central Cal
3rd- Kneelo Cove
4th- Salt Creek
5th- Junior's Team
6th- Team Mohado
tahiti_nui

Post by tahiti_nui »

Open Final

minus most of the lulls of course,
but not the play by play.
MWROBERTSON

KSUSA

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Yes, a big hats off to all who put in tons of hard work and effort on this 10th anniversary contest. Joe, Amanda and Big T, such a great job at the contest site. It all went off like clockwork under beautiful skies with fun waves. There was fun and solid commentary form Fig and Butler up in the judges stand.

The awards were so creative and well done. The swag bags were unreal!

I won the coolest skateboard. The artwork was subline.

Everyone was surfing so well but congrats to Sam Coyne and Chris Linn. The juniors have steadily improved and now rip at highly competitive levels.

Well done all, raise a glass and celebrate the 10th aniversary contest was awesome. 8)
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Well said, MR!
That was a fantastic event. Mother Nature provided us with unreal weather, clean contestable surf, and the judging was not only professional, but accurate.

Those who surfed through and made the finals in all divisions deserved it.
Congrats to all the winners.

A BIG THANK YOU to "Big T" for all the behind the scene strings you pulled to make all the events first class. You will be missed my brother.

Thanks to Joe and Amanda Taylor who put in tireless hours pulling this off.
Ed Dimmick, Joe Coyne, Jack "the Ripper" Beresford, and all the others for donating your time.

In spite of my deep down negativity towards contest surfing.....I ALWAYS have a great time surfing with everyone. It's all about the camaraderie, seeing and meeting new friends.

Long may this event live!
WayneK :D
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

What a great weekend. Perfect weather, fun waves , hanging with the bros on the beach all day. Doesn't get any better than that. Also, I loved the "beach presence" of the judges stand, bleachers, various tents. Add a couple hundred spectators and competitiors on the beach. Result is a very substantial beach presence. We have to thank Big Tony for that vision. Also thanks to Amanda for keeping the committee on track and focused, to Joe Coyne for our awesome website, and Ed Demick for doing the heavy lifting on the heat sheets.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Well said everyone! This event is so fun and this one was especially a great time. Nice waves coming in without a current and glassy conditions all day while surfing the south side all to ourselves. 20 minute heats with water starts, it just makes for more action and it just doesn't get any more fun.
Beautiful warm weather with bathing suits all over the beach in January. Having drinks and little bags of trailmix on the beach are details that are greatly appreciated.
Thank you to all who make this event possible. Thanks to everyone who comes to the event for the camaraderie in and out of the water.
I was already getting bummed it was ending after my last heat.
Ler of Bolsa and Rockin Fig were a magnificent duo on the microphones during the contest. Big Tony's stories and handling of the auction duties are priceless.
Thank you to all the sponsors for the best boards and swag in surfing!
Thanks to Don Harris for his great vision. :!:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Jack Beresford

comp

Post by Jack Beresford »

A few kneelo shots mixed in here on OC Register website:

http://www.orangecounty.com/articles/fo ... water.html