Kiama comp November 10 & 11th

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

wolruss
Legend (Contribution King!)

Kiama comp November 10 & 11th

Post by wolruss »

Sorry guys, I haven't managed to get any details to you yet, I'm extremely sun burnt .... insert feel sorry for me .... The comp was wonn by Kyle Bryant who surfed brilliantly throughout the meet, 2nd place was Simon Farrer who was as usual a standout, 3rd was Chayne Simpson & 4th Matty Novokov. These guys made the ugly conitions on the Saturday at Surf beach Kiama non existent with their classy &
smooth World class surfing. There were other standouts but consistency is the name of the game with such a World class field. As I said the Saturday the comp was held at Surf beach Kiama - the best of a bad bunch of locations, it was pouring rain & raging southerly winds chopping the large chunks of ocean that the surf Gods were throwing at us getting through the first two rounds of the opens & setting us up for the remainder to be hled at mid Gerringong (Werri) beach.
Sunday provided for us what we missed out on Saturday sunshine & great wave in the 4 to 5 foot mark. Again some standout surfing from most of the competitors with the excellent conditions on offer. Surfing Australia's involvement with the circuit this year has taken the whole game up several notches in the professionalism in all areas of running a comp from the gaining of sponsorship, the logistic
s in the setting up of the comp-the location selection, the notification of to competitors etc, the judging, the whole thing is such a positive boost to the Australian Kneeboard circuit, you sort of expected to see Kelly Slater come walking 'round the corner with a kneeboard under his arm. Fella's I'm trying to write this as I'm sitting here at work with all the disturbances attributed to work duties so I'm sorry if this is not more detailed or as informative as you would've liked but at the moment it's pretty much all I can contribute at the moment.
And from Smurf of the Waka's the following:
Subject: KIAMA COMP 2012.
I would like to thank all the WAKAS that put there lives on hold for two days on the weekend to help with the setting up, and taking down of the contest site at Kiama. The crew manned the BBQ, supplying the judges food, and a little on the side for others . Tom was the mainstay of the weekend, filling in wherever needed. He was helped along by Dave, Russell, Troy, Rudes
and Mick.

On the judging side, we were again represented by Mal and Brian, who sat on the panel with the other NSW accredited judges for the two days.

The WAKAS were well represented in the surfing action throughout the comp, with some excellent surfing all round...Albert was a standout, finishing 5th, after just being pipped by the eventual winner in the semis (Kyle Bryant).
Floody was on his 100 special, and surfed into the semis also, taking 7th overall.
Tom made the Amateur B division, and unfortunately for him, was relegated to the paddle zone, for the first 15 mins, then couldnt get onto anything in the last 5 mins.
Chad Collis, made it into the Cadets final, and put in a great effort to finish in 4th place.
And without a doubt, the standout of the event was the effort made by Smurf, to make an impossible late take off.... Only to find out that as you get older, you really do sometimes get sillier.. and Satch said he got a 20 shot sequence to prove it......may have to purchase any proof of it, and destroy the copies.

Other South Coast surfers to excell were, Simon Farrar 2nd in the Opens. Chayne Simpson 3rd Opens.. Both these surfers were the ones to beat, thru the whole 2 days, but could not get a wave that had any walls in the final. Mark Mcleod was surfing well and won the Amateur A division with ease.
Thanks again for making the comp a well run and organised event, and the whole club should be proud of our part this year.

Legless.tv has some excellent photos up on the website, taken by Steen. Check them out, as they have lots of stories on what makes our sport so great.

Surfing NSW did a stellar job , with the electronic scoring, the judging panel, ground crew, and overall professionalism. Thanks to Luke, Will, Terry, Mort, Wayne Pack, for there commitment to Kneeboarding. Surfing NSW has a full wrap up of the event and results, so check them out too.
enzobgonzo
Local (More than 25 post)

Video up on youtube.

Post by enzobgonzo »

Australian Kneeboard titles 3rd round video is now ( getting there) up on youtube.
http://youtu.be/cgy-vqgHx30

cheers :D
enzobgonzo

Post by enzobgonzo »

Here is the a version of the Australian 3rd round now up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO_DyQBr ... e=youtu.be

cheers :)
Scott

Post by Scott »

Thanks for the indepth video of the event. Really challenging to see what the guys did with some of that windswell. Maybe one section would show for just a moment, but hitting it well seemed to make all the difference between advancing or not...
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
stevea
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Kiama comp nov 11 and 12th

Post by stevea »

Really well done Enzo totally professional presentation ,i bet the groms will be stoked to see themselves on the same vid as the big boys .
The open surfing was great with Kyle and Simon looking determined not to make the future easy for Chayno and Matt and Tom
Congratulation to everyone involved looked like a great event .
enzobgonzo

Post by enzobgonzo »

Thanks steve, I'm glad you have enjoyed the clip. I tried to get as must of the grom footage I could into the clips. I hope they do get a kick out.

cheers