10 Years of KSUSA Kneeboard Surfing Contests

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by southpeakbrad »

Late Fall 2003 I paddled right up to Jack, looked him in the eye and asked "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME ABOUT THE CONTEST!!!" I had just read the article the San Diego Union-Tribune ran in the sports page about the first KSUSA US Titles and Kneeboard Festival in Santa Cruz at Pleasure Point won by Jack. It also featured a pic of him. I had NO idea what KSUSA was and could not believe that the US Titles had just happened 8)

Late Fall 2004 I was there :D and had the best time ever. I met so many new friends and continued to reconnect with old OC friends from 20 years prior. The surf was good, the weather was great, and I surfed 7 heats! Bob Schiff and I went back and forth in a very close heat (my 7th) that he eventually edged me out in. Bob went on to the Open Final and I watched, and wondered. I won 4 of those heats on a little 5'5" twin-fin fish that has since been abandoned for new boards that have reenergized my stoke for kneeboarding.

I haven't missed a US or World Titles since and look forward to the adventure and challenge that each event offers up. This year's Titles at Huntington has interest for several reasons: The 10th anniversary of KSUSA Titles, the recent NSSA Kneeboard Circuit which just wrapped up, and the upcoming World Titles in Tahiti. Also, there are always new surfers who show up for the first time so it's good to meet them.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Huntington. It's time for some sizeable surf for a change! :twisted: 8)
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

All I can say is the KSUSA organization brings together old friends and new ones and the smoothly run national championship contest has the best swag in all of kneeboarding and dare I say, most of surfing :!:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Jack Beresford

Brad

Post by Jack Beresford »

Sorry Brad, back then I thought you were WAY TOO COOL for contests! I guess I was wrong. Let's work on getting Yamo to join us at one of these!

Jack
joe

Post by joe »

In 2010, the KSUSA US Kneeboard Titles returned to Huntington Beach. Bill Lerner claimed his first KSUSA US Open Championship.

[fullalbumimg]31581[/fullalbumimg]

This event marked the beginning of a new era in KSUSA competition, with the event fully organized and run by KSUSA under the expert guidance of Big Tony. Big Tony has done more to make these events a success than anyone could imagine.

Official Press Release:

Kneeboarders Score Classic Conditions for KSUSA Titles at Huntington Beach

Published:February 3, 2010

Bill Lerner is back. Lerner won the U.S. Championship in near perfect conditions today at Huntington Beach Pier - a place where he dominated Kneeboard competitions nearly three decades ago.

The 48-year old Cardiff by the Sea resident, still the only U.S. Kneeboarder to win a world open division title, used his experience and smooth-but-radical style to best a field of 64 competitors at the Kneeboard Surfing USA Championships. Lerner's victory was his first in a major competition since the early 1980s.

Best known for his fearless approach to big, hollow conditions, Lerner found the overhead peaks to his liking throughout the event. The Black's Beach local took advantage of a building west swell and found several barrels on his way to victory. San Diego's Jack Beresford finished second. Huntington Beach local Mike Butler, a crowd favorite, finished third, and Bob Gove, also of San Diego, finished fourth.

Shaun Murphy of San Diego scored perfect 10s on the wave of the contest and coasted to victory in the junior final. Murphy also placed highly in the open division, placing equal seventh. Sebastian Perez finished second, Sam Coyne finished third and Taylor Chapette finished fourth.

Cynthia Wornham of Malibu won the women's final. A Kneeboarder for more than 30 years, it was her first-ever contest. She promised to defend her title next year in Santa Cruz. Rounding out the women's final was Elise Odom, Marlowe Espalin and Laura Rodriguez.

The event concluded with a one-hour team competition highlighted by a team of HB Kneeboarders who donned Mexican wrestling masks. After the fun was done it was group of Orange County-area kneelos who won bragging rights for another year. The winning team, dubbed "Kneelo Cove Crew," included Ed Dimick (team captain), Max Bollinger, Greg Shewman, Wayne Kopit and Mark Robertson.

The event marks the sixth KSUSA Titles - all held in California. KSUSA also hosted a highly successful World Titles in 2007 at Steamer Lane. The KSUSA Titles will return to Santa Cruz Jan. 13-15, 2011 for the 2011 KSUSA Championships - an important lead-up to the 2011 ISA World Kneeboard Surfing Titles in Phillip Island, Australia.

Sponsors of the Kneeboard Surfing U.S. Championships include: Aleeda Wetsuits, Balestar Kneeboards, Blast Hawaii, Bolsa Clothing, Brand ID, Duke's, Cove Pads, Electric Visual, Flashpoint Surfing, Freeline Design, Frog House, Gordon Biersch, Joel Mayer Surf Photography, LuxurySurf.com, Maxim Capital Advisors Inc., Ocean & Earth, Parkes Australia, Primo Beer, Skull Candy Headphones, Stay Covered, Smith Optics, Steen Barnes Photography, Surfline, Surftech, Stonefish Skegs, Tide Has Turned, Trunq S.U.B., and Viper Swim Fins.

Established in 2003, Kneeboard Surfing USA is dedicated to promoting the sport of Kneeboard Surfing through competitions, kneelo gatherings and other activities. Visit us online at www.ksusa.org

Final Results:

Open Division: 1. Bill Lerner, 2. Jack Beresford, 3. Mike Butler, 4. Bob Gove
AAA: 1. Greg Shewman, 2. Tom Linn, 3. Randy Reed, 4. Don Harris
AA: 1. Ed Quinn, 2. Randy Stockstill, 3. Mike Fernandez, 4. Randy Morris
Junior: 1. Shaun Murphy, 2. Sebastian Perez, 3. Sam Coyne, 4. Taylor Chapatte
Junior-Super Groms: 1. Evan Odom, 2. Elise Odom, 3. Shayne Dimick
Women: 1. Cynthia Wornham, 2. Elise Odom, 3. Malowe Espalin, 4. Laura Rodriguez
Team: 1. Orange County "Kneelo Cove," 2. Juniors, 3. San Diego "BMC," 4. NorCal, 5. International, 6. Huntington Beach "Team Mojado"
joe

Post by joe »

In 2011, Jack Beresford regained the Open Championship in Huntington Beach. Jack and his brother Chris battled Tom Backer and Chris Buscemi in an exciting Open final.

Shaun Murphy took the win in his final season in the Junior division, had a strong showing in the Open division, and placed third in the AAA division.

Press Release:

Jack Beresford is the 2011 US Kneeboard Surfing Champion

Tuesday, 25 January 2011

[fullalbumimg]31631[/fullalbumimg]

Surprisingly, the 2011 Kneeboard Surfing USA Titles were surfed in head-high swell. From knee to head, the best discipline performers showed this is a challenging sport.

The contest was held in Huntington Beach and Jack Beresford, from San Diego, stormed the Open Division. "Huntington Beach is the Yankee Stadium of surfing venues," said Beresford. "After 30 years of competing there, it's great to have exorcised some of those ghosts at the pier."

The top finishers of the 2011 Kneeboard Surfing USA Titles will head to the 2011 ISA World Kneeboard Championships, being held in Philip Island, Australia. in March.

"Kneeboard Surfing is not only alive and well, but thriving," said Don Harris, KSUSA President. "The level of competition this year exceeded anything seen for a U.S. championship."

Tom Backer secured second place, Chris Buscemi was third and Chris Beresford placed in fourth. Kneeboarders from Black's Beach in San Diego went home with titles in three events: including Beresford in the Open Division, Bob Gove in the AAA Division and Brad Colwell in the AA Division. San Diego's Shaun Murphy, currently a student at Humboldt State, repeated as Junior Division champion.

Huntington Beach Kneeboarders calling themselves "Team Mojado" saved some face by edging out the "Black's Kneelos" in a highly entertaining team event.

CONTEST RESULTS:

Open Division:
1. Jack Beresford, 2. Tom Backer, 3. Chris Buscemi, 4. Chris Beresford

AAA:
1. Bob Gove, 2. Jeff Jensen, 3. Shaun Murphy, 4. Scott Kinyoun

AA:
1. Brad Colwell, 2. Randy Reed, 3. Leonard Miller, 4. Scott Wessling

Junior:
1. Shaun Murphy, 2. Sebastian Perez, 3. Chris Linn, 4. Shayne Dimick, 5. Evan Odom

Team Event:
1. Team Mojado, 2. Black's Kneelos, 3. Kneelo Cove I, 4. AKC, 5. Kneelo Cove II
joe

Post by joe »

In 2012, the KSUSA US Titles returned to Huntington Beach. The contest was completely filled before the deadline, and everyone showed up. Once again, we were blessed with great weather and good surf.

Chris Beresford earned the 2012 Open Championship. Chris is expected to defend his titles next month.

[fullalbumimg]31583[/fullalbumimg]

Press Release:

Chris Beresford Wins U.S. Kneeboard Championships at Huntington Beach Pier

“Broken Neck Boys” finish one-two just months after serious injuries

Huntington Beach, CA (Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012) – Chris Beresford of San Diego dominated the Open Divison final today at the Kneeboard Surfing USA Championships at Huntington Beach. Beresford attacked the head-high waves on the south side of the pier with an impressive display of stylish full-rail surfing and big moves.

Local favorite and 2008 champion Tom Backer surfed flawlessly throughout the event and finished second.

Beresford’s and Backer’s one-two finish was heavy with irony and redemption: both suffered broken necks while surfing last spring. The accidents, which occurred weeks apart, shocked the U.S. kneeboard community. Amazingly, both recovered and were in top form this weekend.

Rounding out the Open Division was third-place finisher Ed Quinn of El Segundo and Pat Evans of Huntington Beach who finished fourth. Both long-time competitors, it was Quinn’s and Evan’s best finishes to date in Kneeboard Surfing USA championships, which drew 80 competitors and an international field.

Evan Odom of Vista won a hard-fought title in the Junior Division. Shayne Dimick of Orange and Chris Linn of Laguna Niguel both showed flashes of brilliance – finishing second and third respectively - but it wasn’t enough to top the much-improved Odom, who earned his first U.S. title.

Kathy Yturralde of Huntington Beach also won her first U.S. title in the Women’s Division. Yturralde edged out defending champ Cynthia Wornham of Los Angeles and Santa Barbara’s Jan Fadden in a highly entertaining final which saw some great down-the-line surfing by the ladies.

Huntington Beach kneeboarders Paul Devoy and Mike Fernandez earned some of the loudest cheers on their way to winning the AA and AAA divisions.

The event concluded with the Sandy’s Cup Challenge – a one-hour heat pitting teams of four in a tag-team format. Jose Maldonado of Puerto Rico, Ed Quinn of the U.S., and Alberto Colucci and Giovani Benitez of Venezuela powered the “International Team” to a win and bragging rights. Team “Kneelo Cove” from Huntington Beach finished second and will have to wait until next year to recapture the perpetual trophy – which is displayed at Sandy’s Beach Grill.

Established in 2003, Kneeboard Surfing USA is dedicated to promoting the sport of Kneeboard Surfing through competitions, kneelo gatherings and other activities. For more information visit www.ksusa.org.

RESULTS

Open: 1- Chris Beresford, 2- Tom Backer, 3- Ed Quinn, 4- Pat Evans
AAA: 1- Mike Fernandez, 2- Randy Reed, 3- Brad Colwell, 4- Alberto Colucci
AA: 1- Paul Devoy, 2- Giovanni Benitez , 3- Don Harris, 4- Scott Kinyoun
Juniors: 1- Evan Odom, 2- Shayne Dimick, 3- Chris Linn
Women: 1- Cathy Yturralde, 2- Cynthia Wornham, 3- Jan Fadden
Team: 1- International, 2- Kneelo Cove, 3- NorCal, 4- Blacks, 5- OC, 6- Juniors, 7- Mojado

Sponsors of the Kneeboard Surfing U.S. Championships include: Aleeda Wetsuits, Aqua Tech Waterjet, Balestar Designs, Blast Surf Designs, Block Surf, Bolsa Clothing, Brand Id, ClearWater Glassing, Dean Cleary, Cove Deck Padz, Dafin, DaKine, Electric, Eric Shoelkopf, FCS, Flashpoint Surfing, Freeline Design, The Froghouse Surf Shop, Futures Fins, Joel Mayer Photography, Kneelo Nation, Legless TV, Marko Foam Blanks, McConnell Surfboards, Parkes Australia, Primo Beer, Pure Glass, Romanowsky Kneeboards, Riviera Longboards, Scott Winer Photography, Sector 9, Surfline, Skullcandy, SS Metal Fabricators, Sandy’s Beach Grill, Stone Fish Skegs, Tavarua Island Resort, Trunq, Vartanian Surfboards, Viper Surfing Fins, Volcom, Watermans Applied Science Sun Care and Xcel Wetsuits.

Post by joe »

In March of 2003, Don Harris launched the KSUSA Forum, an interactive web site to promote kneeboard surfing and kneeboard competition in the US. By the end of that month it was already an International forum with members from UK and Australia. As we enter our 10th year, over 2000 members have contributed almost 60,000 posts and over 30,000 photos. Don's vision for KSUSA and kneeboard surfing has been an overwhelming success.

In November 2003, KSUSA hosted the first US Kneeboard Surfing Titles and Festival in Santa Cruz. 2013 marks the tenth year of KSUSA and the tenth KSUSA hosted kneeboard surfing contest.

January 18-19 2013 KSUSA will host the 10th anniversary celebration and US Kneeboard Surfing Titles. Come out and help us celebrate this major milestone.

If you have competed in a KSUSA event, you have to be there to surf and celebrate the history that you helped create.
If you have ever won a KSUSA event, you must be there.
If you are a kneeboarder, you should be there.
If you are a sponsor of any kneeboard surfing event, you should be there.
If you are new to kneeboarding, this is the place to be.

Whether you compete or not, everyone is invited to help us celebrate 10 years of KSUSA history.
Last edited by joe on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe

Post by joe »

Share your stories of past contests and how KSUSA has influenced you.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

I guess that after 10 years you can look back and try to say which year had the best waves. In January 2007 for the Worlds it was absolutely pumping, with great weather, in the days before we started. Well overhead, offshore, clean and consistent. Problem was that as the 6 day contest started the swell finally started to drop so...

that then makes 2009 as the best waves we've had. We had a very westerly, long-period swell arrive at Steamer Lane with perfect weather. As the initial heats started we had to go to 30min heats because it was just starting to fill in and inconsistent. I can't remember if we went for 3 days or if later on day 1 it started to fire but I do remember seeing Bob Gove have a good afternoon run. He kept alive in the Open with 2 good heats where he got some long groomed walls that he surfed really well. Middle Peak was working on day 2 for some lefts but the rights were still the go. Gavin surfed perfectly and backed up his Worlds Title with the win.

Needless to say, we all miss the Lane. Santa Cruz is always a great place to visit 8)
joe

Post by joe »

Women have been competing in KSUSA events since the beginning, although there have not always been enough entries to have a separate division. Darcy Murphine competed with the guys in the first KSUSA competition in 2003 and earned a 3rd place in the AA division. Darcy competed in several KSUSA events and represented the US in the World Titles in Tahiti where she brought home a 3rd in the Women's division.

[fullalbumimg]31671[/fullalbumimg]
Darcy Murphine KSUSA Women's Division Pioneer

Last year we saw the most competitive women's division contest ever. Kathy Yturralde, Cynthia Wornham, and Jan Fadden put on a good show as they fought hard for the women's division title. Kathy Yturralde edged out KSUSA veteran and World Titles finalist Cynthia Wornham for the win. We expect another competitive event this year.

If you know any women kneeboarders, encourage them to enter.

[fullalbumimg]31677[/fullalbumimg]
Kathy Yturralde 2012 Women's Division Champ
joe

Post by joe »

The Junior Division has been a place where the stoke for kneeboard surfing has burned the brightest over the past ten years of KSUSA contest. The groms were stoked to compete and the older generations cheered them on.

Sam Coyne was the first grommet to show up to compete at a KSUSA contest in 2004, with no one to compete against. The following year the Junior Division stole the show. The kids showed no fear as the charged Steamer Lane for the first time. Sam was joined by Shaun Murphy, Taylor Chapette, Joel Young, Chris Linn, Sebastian "Seabass" Perez (I may have missed some).

Over the following years the Junior Division was a competitive rivalry between the San Diego groms and the BBK crew lead by Chris Linn.

Most of these kids have aged out of the Junior Division and some are now threatening to make themselves know in the Open Division.

Last year Evan Odom claim the Junior Division Championship with his continuously improving surfing. This year Evan will defend his Junior title against Chris Linn who will be making is final run for the trophy before aging out.