AUSSIE TITLES LEADUP (REGIONALS)

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

kneelo_44
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by kneelo_44 »

dorje

The strange thing it was Sophia (kripchik) who convinced me back into the club scene so too speak. The last time I was in a club was the Mid to late 80's Southside Kneelo's out of SYD. It was great not just for the comps but the people and the tricks that you picked up. When she went to join the Mornington Peninsula board riders club. They said they didn't have a kneelo section or comp but she could still join (work that out). That way she could still meet other girls they said?? Sophia wanted to meet and surf with other kneelo's not just me. So we joined KSA and don't regret it and we are disappointed that we can't make Coffs. We would like something to out of VIC in the way of a club or comp at least. We pay for it but get nothing back in return. We will be at the Island this year and Bendelong next year. Sophia has found being a member KSA to very rewarding the help and encouragement offered by Red, Baden and the guys from SYD was fantastic. Also the Brown family from Phillip Island. She now knows other females that are kneelo's. She now understands how good it is to be a kneelo, one of the chosen few. I don't understand why Morn Pen Board riders don't have a kneelo section it just don't add up. I know that they're VIC surf etc but that also help to give us voice in the state. I know the Island has a kneelo section, but that isn't practical for us.
John
I would rather be slotted
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Nothing will evolve from surfing australia, local boardriders (with exception to Phillip Island) or any other body involved with surfing. The only way kneeboarding clubs, Associations or this site for instance come about is from hard dedication from kneelos, like john clingan, scoop, Kenny Stapo, wayne jennings, don harris etc. Think about the standup population and the amount of people invloved and it still boils down to a select few to make things happen.
I know our local kneelo club would not be around, if it was not for the souly committed guys who keep it running. There is about 10 standup clubs in our area, none of them have kneelo's or boogie boards or goatboats or longboards either, in there clubs. They do there own thing, as we should. So please dont look to others to create your fun, make it happen yourself, create your own club. The hard thing about what all these guys do for kneeboarding, is that it is a thankless job, alot of personal time and effort goes into organising and running clubs, associations etc. that nobody generally sees or wants to know about.

As for the regionals, well as far I i am concerned they are a myth. Those guys are not interested in having a kneelo section, to them its a waste of effort-especially if only 2 guys turn up, again and again and again.

I would say put your heart behind KSA, forget about Surfing Australia and if you would like a kneeboard club in your area. make it happen. be a ground breaker, innovator or leader for kneelos. god knows we need em.
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
scoop
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by scoop »

well said steen

The only reason we are affilliated with Surfing Australia is the cheap insurance cover they offer... (though sometimes when a claim is made we find out the truth)...private insurance is 4 times S A premiums so we use them to keep costs down
I spose it boils down that the total number of kneelos that are SA members would only be 100 maybe 150 max though im sure there would be 2000 (here in australia) doing their thing out there at their local beach every so often ...never wanting to do any more...maybe not knowing KSA and local clubs are out there
John...if enough guys..or girlz (kneelos) for that matter in the one area went to a club and joined... they would have to accomodate you
and with the regionals...if you turn up they have to let you enter...aspecially when you are a member of surfing australia....
It is the lead up to the national champions (as you guys know...im no stand out surfer...but as Iron Mike and I were the only kneelos ...we go through to the state titles....what I need to do is to gather info early (which is hard) and get it out to you others so as you have time to organise yourselves and enter...the more that turn up to these events ...the more we are welcomed (at our prizegiving...we were thanked for puting in the effort and turning up) so im sure the same thing would happen in your area....the regionals are usually always in May
I believe if some better quality kneelos had turned up and ridden to their talent ...more standups would see and appreciate the standard we do have

I'll keep you posted as it comes to hand
see you in Coffs

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
john -

Post by john - »

kneelo-44 said

[The strange thing it was Sophia (kripchik) who convinced me back into the club scene so too speak.quote]

John - id like to repeat a previous statement about good ideas and women (chicks :wink: ) but steenos is probably watching:wink:

dorje
merely labled
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

:lol: :wink: :)

dad
coach
godfather
DK

Post by DK »

I agree totally with what Steen has said about organising clubs and comps ect for ourselves. The only thing i would add to the regional debate is- Im sure we could get 16-20 guys(at least) to a Sydney regional event, but as i mentioned before the structure and the flow of information out of surfing nsw makes it difficult. Trying to encourage people to enter events that you have virtually no notice of is near impossible.
(I must add here johnny Clingan as soon as he knew go the word around)
Theres a challenge for the Sydney Club for next year- make the regionals work for us.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

The insurance thing is a biggie. But I think your KB club(s) could get coverage from SA (or another nonprofit organization) without having to join.

The old Western Surfing Association District in Santa Cruz, California used to sign a waiver and use the Boy Scouts of America, Monterey Bay Area District's insurance for an event. You might want to explore similar avenues.

Or do what our Santa Cruz Body Surfing Associaiton does: sneak in, hold the contest and high tail it back to a party!

Good luck.

-Dan
kbing since plywood days
Techno

Club Affiliations

Post by Techno »

I'm a QLD Firefighter - and compete monthly with other Firefighters (Known as Fire & Surf Boardriders) mainly as a social event.
We have a membership of around 25 (I'm the only Kripple and surf against the short boarders).
We have a President - Secretary - Treasurer etc and hold a meeting each month after each comp' and AGM's also.
Lately there has been discussion about affiliation with Surfing Australia, to try and get under their insurance cover for comp's - but have been told that this will bump our yearly membership from $30 to close to $200 per member - to cover the Affiliation of Fire & Surf Boardriders with Surfing Australia, not sure of the exact figures - but not far off ???

So I can see where Steen is comming from when he says to get up and do things for ourselves - we (Kneelo's) will die of old age waiting for support from Surfing Australia/QLD.

The problem is the $$$ - Fire & Surf Boardriders even approached Queensland Fire And Rescue to maybe sponsor our club - so that we could also compete interstate, as Firefighters and represent who we work for - but this has so far proved fruitless.

What we have to be aware of is the litigation side of the argument - one loose board on an open beach - injured beachgoer - see you in court - bye bye bank balance ???

We can't afford not to affiliate - and can't afford to affiliate ???

If not for the efforts of the said few - nothing would be done re: Australian Kneeboarding.
We all need to pick up the banner - let people know we are a growing force - yes we've always been the "Sub-species" - but look around - we don't cop as much flack as Goat Boats or Esky Lids - hell, I've even received some respect at club level from stand-ups that had no idea what kneeboarding was all about - they had no idea how many Kneelo's there really are in Australia ???

The support I have had from guys in my club about the Coffs Harbour comp' has been great - they never knew there was an Australian Kneeboard Pro-Am Circut.

It will be a slow process - but all good things take time !!!
We need to support the comp's that get put together and maybe try and put together other comp's in other states ???
(Bring back the D-Bar comp')

Tony "TECHNO"
HAVE SPARE KIDNEY - WILL TRAVEL FOR SURF !!!
red

Post by red »

Techno,
You pipped what I was going to say.

I want to surf against standups. If I have to be a member of Surf Australia then I want some benefits apart from the dodgy insurance thing. I want the benefit of competing (and being professionally judged) in more than one heat to hone my competition skills (I only get to surf one real contest a year - the PI Classic). Stuff the kneeboard heats - put me in against the standos. I'll even take my flippers off if they feel insecure.

I used to compete in mixed contests in SA and it was a great bridge builder - with a lot more respect both ways.

Steen - good on you for standing up and showing surfers that wave knowledge, positioning and surf skills are transferable. Kevin Fischer has won both the PI Boardriders KS division and Masters standup a few times.

Why can't the KS clubs/loose affiliations, etc. group together for an insurance deal? I see some of the litigation is coming out of the system since it became illegal to claim solely on pain and suffering, and we should see that reflected in the premiums. There are probably a few hundred competitive kneelos in Australia, so we should be able to swing something deal wise. Sounds like an issue to debate over a few beers at Coffs.
red

Post by red »

Dorje, John

There are more kneelos than you think in VIC. From the last PI Classic I have a list of about 15 with tel #'s, and have made the odd contact with them, but have been slack about arranging a gathering. Limited surf hours, you see. I live in Melbourne and only get to surf weekends, so I'm up at 4.30am to be in the water by first light at 6.45am, surf 3-5 hours then home.

Possibly we can get a 3-way regional thing going, with PI, Peninsula and West Coast. Dorje - I know there are a bunch of you that way - just don't know anyone's contacts.

29th, 30th May gathering? Early tide's are a bit crap, but I still favour the early start if we can find a bank that works on the outgoing (beer stays cold, too).
Make time and date (as they say on the dunny walls)

PS Good on you Sophie. Go Aussie go Oi Oi oi
DK

Post by DK »

Regarding insurance for clubs. If you affiliate with your state branch you must take out either their insurance or have one of equal cover.
It costs Sydney Kneelo Club over $700.00per year to do this and you must also be an incorporated association.
Thats part of my frustration with surfing nsw Sydney Kneelo Club is affiliated with them just like Nth Narrabeen or Gairie boardriders or whoever and still you feel like you are banging your head against the wall getting info. from them.
In 2003 in took me 6 months and about 30 different phone calls to get a copy of our insurance policy.
But if you dont do this then you risk the club and potentially its individual board members being held responsible for any injury to a member of the public.
red

Post by red »

Regarding insurance for clubs. If you affiliate with your state branch you must take out either their insurance or have one of equal cover.
Yeah, but if we (as state-based incorporated clubs) affiliate with KSA and KSA has national cover?
At least the money stays in the family that way
john -

Post by john - »

Red

where do you surf on those dawn attacks - i lived in spotswood for a while which made the trip to 13th or Bells pretty easy - 6am go - in the water before 7.30

anyway

now living in quite fine style in Barwon Heads (nice digs) good undercover outdoor bbq and shed thus quite able to accomadate a few lads (byo) after a surf for fry up breaky

so 13th works on a north handles abit of east but not much west. If the swell is cooking and the west is in - point impossible outer or inners depending

sundays am is best as i take the kid swimming at 10.30 on sat - but still
will have 7am to 8.30- 9 session if can on a Saturday - im generally limited to 2 hour sessions as the kids are young and the wife is wild :twisted: :wink: .......wildly beautiful is what i mean to say

so if its a west coast trip lets contact via the "gatherings" and see what can be managed

dorje
merely labled
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

To insure at national level alone as kneeboarders is not a viable option financially, the trick is to insure the clubs through Surfing Australia, nail that policy, so your covered. Then do your own thing.

I am the vice president for 3 years now of Wollongong Area Boardriders Association a stand up club, where I have grown up, mind you its the only time I stand up and compete-even if I am in a heat and a dirty barrel rears it head up i will kneeboard it.lol. Anyway it also costs us 700 ozzie dollars to insure the club and its members, which I consider nothing if you want stay protected. Our club fees are $40 for open and $30 for juniors. We also raise money through the year with the local pubs, clubs, board manufacturers doing raffles and all sorts of things. Our newest money raising venture, which one of the young guys is organising is a boys weekend. Minibus, dancing girls, and alchohol. he has done all the figures and at $50 a head for everything. we come out of a day with $1000. mind you we get the bus donated, the beer donated and the girls-- well we have to pay them, but thats ok. We have Golf Days to raise money, Single Fin Comp Days .....the list goes on. there are many ways to make things work. I dont feel an insurance cost of 700$ through surfing Australia is much to pay for feeling safe. I know they are a pain to deal with (Surfing Australia) but when its all done and organised, its alot easier than trying to organise your own insurance. No one says you have to operate as they say. so sign up and do your own thing.

:D

dad
coach
godfather
DK

Post by DK »

Steen, Theres no question insurance is the right and legal thing to do and for the peace of mind it gives the club members its worth it- I dont want to sound like im winging and your right there are all kinds of ways to raise money for clubs, I suppose I was just sharing some of our (the SKC) frustration in dealing with them. But no more complaining from me -we just need to get on with things- at the end of the day those of us who love the sport and the clubs we are members of do it because we wouldnt have it any other way.
I like that boys weekend thing- I bet stapo could organise something along those lines.