The World Circuit

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

red
Legend (Contribution King!)

The World Circuit

Post by red »

No I'm not talking ASP. This arises from a post I just made to Tom Linn about the Santa Cruz event and PI Classic being on the same weekend.

This forum should be a good place to centralise a list of gatherings/contests, then anyone who is planning travel can consider making it to another event on the "world circuit". Or, if they're like me, get their work trips to coincide with surf.

Let's see, as I recall the circuit looked like this last year (I'm missing a heap, especially gatherings and club events, so people in the know will need to fill in the rest - but it's already impressive):

KSUSA Oceanside (US) April '03
Opuneke Classic (NZ) August '03
British Kneeboard (UK) 11th October '03
Santa Cruz (US) Mid Nov '03
PI Classic (Aus) 3rd Week in Nov '03
Bendelong (Aus) 7 Feb '04
Jalama Gathering
The Classic (NZ) Easter '04
Oceanside (US) 22 May' 04
Coffs Harbour (Aus) 22 May '04
World's (Tahiti) end June '04

And next's year's schedule from viewtopic.php?t=527

etc. etc.

Who said a world tour was a pipe dream?
viewtopic.php?t=230

Put prize $$'s to the above and a contestant could accumulate enough for, say a taxi ride to the airport (or even 2!) - but an priceless collection of friendships and memories!

Hey, this is starting to sound like "Alice's Restuarant"!
They gonna think it's a movement!
you may know somebody in a similar
situation, or you may be in a similar situation, and if your in a
situation like that there's only one thing you can do and that's walk into
the shrink wherever you are ,just walk in say "Shrink, You can get
anything you want, at Alice's restaurant.". And walk out. You know, if
one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and
they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony,
they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them.
And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in
singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an
organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said
fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and
walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement.
http://www.arlo.net/lyrics/alices.shtml
Ler

WORLD TOUR

Post by Ler »

Hi Red, That was me that said was a pipe dream, but when I first started the discussion, I really thought it would be neat to have the world best kneeboarders during some sort of tour and whoever had the most points, after a few contest who be world champ. I think what is going on is so cool. I went from not kneeboarding at all, to getting back in the water, once a month for the gatherings. I still would love to some of the guys compete over a years time, maybe 3 locations, then decide a champ.

Hey Red, Do you remember that we surfed together in mid 80's in Huntington Beach, I hardly remember, I was pretty faded those years. Pierre Tostee stayed at my house. We had a competion of some sorts.

Mike
DK
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by DK »

Dont forget in october we are planning a Pro-am for sydney.
Scoop and john will probablybe turning their attention to that after coffs- but it will probably be at Cronulla.
I reckon its a great idea to get all the comps and gathering down on a calendar- it shows just how far things have come along in the last couple of years.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

A world tour = corporate money.

Corporate money = number of people that the corporate sponsors can reach with their commercial message.

A world KB tour would have to be marketed carefully and with a huge amount of skill to find the corporate support taht would be needed. It can be done but would actually cost a lot of money to do it correctly.

But, then where would you be. We all know that Team USA would take everything, hands down............lol

-Dan
kbing since plywood days
Ler

WORLD TOUR

Post by Ler »

Have three events. One in the U.S., one in Aus., and one in Hawaii. Maybe piggy back with some other contests, a kneeboard division, just like the Santa Cruz event, but on a pro level. Overall rating leader wins the world champanship. Riders competeing, either get some sponship or pay there own way. I know there are some bro's that could pull it off.
Jack Beresford

on tour

Post by Jack Beresford »

My first instinct is to laugh at the idea of a World Tour - but then who would ever have imagined just a few years ago what's happening now?!

Instead of the ASP/pro surfing tour model, I see it more like the PGA where you've got a bunch of contests of varying levels of organization but four or five "majors" a year. Perhaps a major in the US, New Zealand/Tahiti, the UK and one or two in Oz. Give points for opens in each of these and crown yourself a World Champ! With a little marketing savy you could get yourself a few sponsors and do some fun things like a tour video and Web site. This would just add prestige to the events and attract more international competitors.

I'd still love to see a specialty event at Tavarua or G-land!
Jack Beresford
Ler

WORLD TOUR

Post by Ler »

That's want you guys need. Some good idea's. Jack, you about the smartest people I know. You and Don Should write up sponsor me letters and send them everywhere. Someone will bite, from R.C. Cola, Pipeline Leaches, Hurley, Volcom, Quicksilvers, to Dunkin Donuts. How about a grant from the goverment. Even thoughI don't vote,that don't mean, someone who does couldn't get a grant. Somebody out there would help you guys for sure.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

..or a speciality event at Puerto Escondido.

In today's IT world, high tech web sites and the such could be used to our advantage.
kbing since plywood days
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Nice analogy Jack.... makes a lot of sense.

Bud said he could arrange a GLAND contest EASILY.. he knows all the camp guys from back in the day, but he thought everyone was scared. 8)
EQ
Scott

Post by Scott »

Hey, Jack, how come you only suggest contest sites where you have to go left? What about us guys who can only surf the other direction?

Ler, I'd really like to see you get a sponsorship from Dunkin' Donuts! Then you'd have to enter every heat on one of their special black, round DD boards (I think they're called "inner tubes"--perfect for your on-demand 360's) :)
stemple

Post by stemple »

I would be into a Gland contest or gathering. I never been, it would nice to go with folks that know it well. Scared, can it be any worse then standing on the reef at backyards watching a 12 footer stacking up in front you and realizing you were about to get your ass handed to you. Been there done that. I see it as a life goal to be worked by every famous wave in the world.
ivandill

Something is cooking in Puerto Rico

Post by ivandill »

Something is cooking in Puerto Rico. But we have to see how it fit in an ever expanding contest calendar.Will keep imform in advance.Help by experiece people apreciated.More of it after Tahiti.
VANCHEE
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Last year I spoke withthe West Coast ASP representative and - guess what- he's a kneeboarder (now I just have to find his business card....)! He grew up in Huntingtin Beach and has a house in Puerto Escondido.

One thing he has always wanted to do is hold an ASP Specialty Event in Puerto - for KBing! We may not have to reinvent the wheel here. By mostly using contests that are already up and running, there is a possibility of pulling this off.

But I still think there would be a ton of work to do on the public relations end of this. Developing an image that is marketable to corporate sponsors would take some pretty slick moves. But it can be done; just takes time and money.
kbing since plywood days
albert

Post by albert »

Upon reading this thread I have to stress one point that will probably be very important in a discussion like this. The fact is that in Australia, I have heard that Pro Circuit events have $1000 Aussie for first place (and thats been it for a very long time). In order to compete with something like that the very best would have to see it as a monetarily feasible trip, hence the prize money should be well above the cost of the trip.

Of course this isnt always necesary, but if you want to attract the big fish, you have to have some big bait.

This having been said, I just got my butt thoroughly kicked in coffs this weekend, made it to the quarters and got beat down by Baden and David Parkes. During that heat, had the wave of the day come right to me, got a little excited, tried to do a huge turn, tuck under the lip as I was coming out of it, and didnt come out of it. Had to think about that a lot on the 8 hour drive home.

Thanks
ALbert
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Stemple- Backyards is a whole hell of a lot closer to medical attention, as I found out last year when I dislocated my knee at Speedies.

Albert- I think it's safe to say your best days are behind you.
EQ