NSSA Southern California Kneeboard Contest Circuit 2013/14!

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

fishfinger
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by fishfinger »

ya brad...so smooth
tahiti_nui

Post by tahiti_nui »

Well that was fun, except for the surf of course.
The fella's made the best of a small afternoon, thought i post this now, with the Spaniard off on assignment, i'll try my best for a full wrap up soon.
Congrads! to all who ventured out, and was great to see Ken and crew from Seattle.

HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT

1ST''''

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

YA" BROTHER BRAD.....!
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""
OceanTrends17
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by OceanTrends17 »

tahiti_nui wrote:Well that was fun, except for the surf of course.
The fella's made the best of a small afternoon, thought i post this now, with the Spaniard off on assignment, i'll try my best for a full wrap up soon.
Congrads! to all who ventured out, and was great to see Ken and crew from Seattle.

Thank you guys, for the very warm welcoming. It was great meeting everyone. Sorry I rushed off- I was in a panic to locate my missing (and subsequently located) cell phone. I look forward to seeing you all at Salt Creek next month.
BillL

Post by BillL »

Atta boy Brad!!!
mutiny
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by mutiny »

congrats to brad!!making the small surf look rippable!!
Bermudez and Peterson also linking some to the shore
tom fish was 1/2 point from from making the final :shock:
im sure the next comp will see fish amongst the finalists
fun to hang out with everyone
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

I thought for sure Tom had made his first final, he surfed quite well in his heat.
Never leave well enough alone.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

I thought for sure Tom had made his first final, he surfed quite well in his heat.
fishfinger

Post by fishfinger »

hey i got a 5th last year first contest sshb...but then fell apart for the rest of season...this is a new season and i will be doing a real turn sometime this year :lol: :lol: :lol:
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Stoked to see everyone yesterday :D So cool that despite the small surf so many went out to get wet in the morning.

Pretty amazing that early Sept when we should have south swells another contest was held in the small stuff. Cool to meet Ken and Matt from Seattle. Great camaraderie with my fellow competitors 8)

Hopefully at Salt Creek it will be pumping :twisted: 8)
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

It was great to have Brad there representing the Black's Crew. Brad is always so smooth and solid.
tahiti_nui

Post by tahiti_nui »

With a week of temperatures pushing 100 degrees (37c) inland, heading to the coast was a welcome relief. Met Brad in the parking lot, with 3 hours till the first heat we walked down to the “Cove” for some inspiration, and fun. Warm air, warm water, a bunch of kneelos and wide variety of watercraft made up for the lack of surf. Bigger outside sets were ether ridden by Casey or the pods of local dolphins cruising the coast.

The contest was two 15 minute heats, top three advancing to a 20 minute final.

The first heat started as a set arrived, Eric, Brad and Tom Fish all grabbed waves. Then things slowed, Brad had the longest ride by working the wave into shore. Eric picked off the biggest wave of the heat while Evan and the others scrounged for what few waves were available. With the judges cards close, Tom was just edged out.

In the second heat location strategy was key. Paul worked the south-end corner rights to his advantage while Sean stuck to the small stuff in the middle, Leonard chose closer to the pier and Chris advanced with a wave in the last few seconds.

By the time the Final was held the tide was retreating and the small swell had all but evaporated, leaving everyone to scramble for the few sets that rolled in. Paul set up on the south-end but those rights never arrived. Sean elected to try the pier bowl and manged to get a few smaller waves but not that strong left he had in other contests. Evan got his quota but never found one with any real juice. Eric only grabbed a few left shoulders, but nothing with any size or long shoulders where his style scores big. Chris worked the middle but never got more than a “C” ticket wave. Brad took advantage of his size and paddling skills to nab a few tiny nuggets on the inside combining rail to rail moves and that was enough to put him on top.

Looking ahead to next month, let's hope that the 'Creek' will have some surf so we can show'em what these boys can do, nobody wants to compete in a half meter league.
tahiti_nui

Post by tahiti_nui »

Here's a look at what you missed at the first event...

STOP ONE RECAP VIDEO

Next contest is in two weeks at the Creek,
You still have time to register and join in.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Great editing and Voice Over.

You're getting really good at this. :D
tahiti_nui

Post by tahiti_nui »

Thanks Ed, coming from the National Champion that means a lot.
As much as it would be cool for you to do the voice-overs,
I'd rather see you out there competing. You, Linn, Casey, Tom B, and even Mike on that new "Tuck". Watch Out!

This is a great bunch of guys, however there are so many more who could join and make this really something special. And just watch out if we get some real surf, everyone else will line the beach to watch the kneelo heats.

Two weeks people, come on out!
Support these guys, spend the morning with us.
Let's show the surfers our community.