2014 KSUSA Kneeboard Surfing Titles

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Will you be attending the 2014 KSUSA Titles in Huntington?

Poll ended at Wed May 21, 2014 8:09 am

Yes, I will be competing.
40%
Yes, as a spectator.
26%
Maybe
14%
No, I can't make it.
19%

Total votes: 42

fishfinger
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Killer donation for contest

Post by fishfinger »

Coastal charters and Kneelo nation donated a fishing trip this year with Capt. Benny...http://youtu.be/P6Slg6RQiXw
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

I hope everyone has a great time at the contest, and that the surf cooperates with nice, contestable conditions. This is the first KSUSA contest I think I will have missed since its inception, but my attendance is required for some major work-related events. Thanks to the Planning Team for all their hard work!

I'll be thinking of you guys and logging into Surfline to watch on the cams as often as possible!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

We'll miss you Scott! Hope all goes very well at work.

Joe Coyne, Matt Cunningham and I went to Nicaragua this summer and stayed with SurfToursNicaragua who are sponsoring the Titles. A one week stay will be auctioned off Saturday night.

http://www.surftoursnicaragua.com/

We went between swells because we were booked months in advance and just missed it. Two days after we departed it was pumping! Mike Sears stayed here in March and scored. Overall we had fun surf with offshore winds all day, everyday. Surf was up to HH+ on the biggest day. There is a great deck that overlooks Miramar, a L-hand reef/point that barrels. Three other breaks are walking distance. Hospitality and food were great and we did a couple of side trips which made for a great trip.

Freightrains is a 5 minute boat ride from the house and is one of the premier waves in Central America when there's swell. It's basically a sand bottom, rivermouth L-hander and they told us it can race for up to 500 yards when conditions come together!

So many places to travel to, including other spots in Nicaragua, but we all would like to return to SurfToursNicaragua.

-Brad 8)
joe

Post by joe »

Results
Juniors: 1 Evan Odom 2 Hunter Johnson 3 Jock McHugh
Women 1 Kathy Yturralde 2 Cynthia Wornham 3 Kiana Tennant.
AA 1. Fred Rodriguez 2. Matt Cunningham 3. Paul Devoy 4. John Mel
AAA 1 Brad Colwell 2 Mike Butler 3 Chris Linn 4 roger Hughes.
Team. NorCal
Open 1. Jack Beresford 2. Bill Lerner 3. Pat Evans 4. Ed Quinn
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Another great year with good surfing. All the winners had some great waves. Saw EQ get a pretty amazing right and watching Jack B on that new board was pretty cool.
Thanks to Joe and Amanda and all the others for putting on a great contest and thanks to all the sponsors. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
fishfinger

Some contest pics

Post by fishfinger »

Thanx to everyone it was a great time... Joe and Amanda you guys kick ass...here are some pics from contest...https://www.facebook.com/HBSURFSCENE
Chris Buscemi

Gracias

Post by Chris Buscemi »

Thanks Joe and Amanda and everyone for making the Titles such a great time. The Buscemi Family had a blast. It was great seeing everyone, catching up with friends, and meeting new ones. Lots of great surfing by everyone and congratulations to all of the winners.

See you guys in the water. Got my fingers crossed for a great winter.

Chris
If I say its safe to surf this beach Captain, then its safe to surf this beach. I mean I'm not afraid to surf this place, I'll surf this whole f@cking place!
stonefish

Post by stonefish »

great time at the contest! always an honor to ride with these guys! Stonefish Skegs will be there next year for more fun!
joe

Post by joe »

What an awesome weekend. Beautiful summer like weather, warm water, and almost no wind. After an early forecast of 1-2 ft, we treated to surprisingly good glassy surf, peaking with head high sets during the final heats.

It was great to see lots of competitors, friends, and family enjoying the beautiful conditions. These events are more about reconnecting with friends and sharing the stoke than the competition.

But make no mistake, the competition was fierce. It seems that everyone has upped there game and the raised the level of competition. This year we saw some of the best contest surfing ever at a KSUSA event with closest heats during the semifinals and final heats.

Thanks to all of our generous sponsors for making this event possible.

No matter how you measure it, this year's event was an overwhelming success.
Scott

Post by Scott »

For someone like me who could not attend, I would love to see the participants and placement in the semi-finals for all the divisions.

Also, is anyone planning to release any video from the event?

Finally, who won some of the boards, the big trip to Nicaragua, etc?

Inquiring minds want to know...
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Joe, that was a nice recap!!

If you sponsored this year's KSUSA Kneeboard Titles and Festival...Thank you so much! Your support helps to keep kneeboard surfing alive and thriving in 2014. So many people were stoked to able to walk away with something, in addition to having had a great time in the heats and at the evening gathering.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Thank you Amanda and Joe Taylor for all that you both did to help this event come off as a big success. It was great to work with you and the rest of the team 8)
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Congratulations to Jack Beresford on winning your 5th KSUSA Open Title :!: :D Your surfing in that semi-final was incredible and you just beat out an On Fire Bill Lerner in the Final. It was cool to be standing on the beach waiting for your heat to end and ours to start, and to see Bill get that perfect 10, and you nearly matching it on the next wave, surfing right towards us.

Big shout out to Bill Lerner for solid inspired surfing, Patrick Evans for consistent performances throughout, and to Ed Quinn for committed surfing.

Congratulations to Fred on the AA win. The applause was loudest when this result was announced 8) . Also to Kathy and Evan for their Titles.
Amanda Taylor

Post by Amanda Taylor »

It was a great weekend indeed, from the weather, to the waves, the commraderie to the competition. We couldn't have asked for anything more.
Congratulations to all those who took home trophies. Some heats were super close.
Congratulations to all those who took home something from the auction and raffle. We had some great items from our generous sponsors, both new and those who have been with KSUSA since the first comp.
Thank you to Don Harris, Joe Coyne, Brad Colwell, Ed Dimick, Robb Masser and Jack Beresford for your time on the calls in the preparation for this event.
JT and I are super stoked to have pulled this off without a hitch. Today was another busy day for us. Give me a few days to unpack, unload and debrief and I will put together a list of those who took home the live auction and some of the other items.
Congrats again!
joe

Post by joe »

Scott,

We'll have complete results from all heats posted soon.

There were lots of photographers on the beach. Not sure about video. Hopefully there will be plenty of content to share soon.

The evening events were great. Mike Neal went home with a beautiful Freeline. Ed Dimick won the bid for the new Parkes. Casey was high bidder for the SD kneeboard. Bob Gove was took the Surf Tours Nicaragua surf trip. Lots of others went home with awesome raffle and auction items from our generous sponsors.

Scott wrote:For someone like me who could not attend, I would love to see the participants and placement in the semi-finals for all the divisions.

Also, is anyone planning to release any video from the event?

Finally, who won some of the boards, the big trip to Nicaragua, etc?

Inquiring minds want to know...