NSSA Contests in NorCal Now Open To Kneeboarders!

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

OceanTrends17
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by OceanTrends17 »

http://www.nssa.org/conferenceratings.asp?event=413

There are 3 of us already registered, and I imagine more have not be posted online yet (Scott, you being one of those) due to NSSA lag. Should be fun!
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

Everything appears set for the first NSSA Northwest Conference contest to include kneeboarding, commencing this Sunday, December 7, at Steamer Lane.

There will be two kneeboard semi-finals (each 20 minutes long) are back to back, beginning at 12:15pm. Then the 20-minute final at 3:00pm with the draining tide.

Right now the weather forecast is for cloudy skies. Surfline does forecast 10 knot south winds, and about a 5 ft, 12 second west swell.

First semi-final: Randy Reed, Mike Neal and Scott Wessling

Second semi-final: Roger Hughes, Ken Cherryhomes and Don Harris
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

Good luck you guys! hope you score some fun ones!
Scott

Post by Scott »

We enjoyed the first of three NSSA Northwest Conference contests today (Sunday). It was great to see kneeboarding in a contest again at Steamer Lane, as the last contest there was in 2009. The surf was a somewhat fading west swell in smooth conditions, with waves generally in 3 – 5’ range.

The first Semi-Final saw Randy Reed and Mike Neal advance to the finals. The second Semi-Final advanced Don Harris and Roger Hughes. During the 20 minute final the tide was draining out and it was trickier to find wrapping waves than in the first heats. Roger Hughes stayed the busiest of the four competitors, and his high scoring wave was a 7.3 filled with some strong turns. Randy Reed had the second highest wave, a 6.5, based primarily on a big vertical hit that he wrestled into a smooth landing. All surfing pics below are from the Final--sorry for the low resolution.

The Final results:
First – Roger Hughes
Second – Randy Reed
Third – Mike Neal
Fourth – Don Harris

Special props to Ken Cherryholmes for flying down from Washington to be part of the day, and for John Mel hanging out on the cliff to add moral support.

Next contest: March 15th at The Hook.

Finalists from left to right: Roger Hughes, Randy Reed, Don Harris, Mike Neal
[fullalbumimg]33920[/fullalbumimg]

Mike Neal
[fullalbumimg]33918[/fullalbumimg]

Roger Hughes
[fullalbumimg]33917[/fullalbumimg]

Randy Reed
[fullalbumimg]33919[/fullalbumimg]
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

4 man heats? That awesome.
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Thanks Scott for getting this organized. It was great to hang out with the everyone and a very special treat to surf the morning session "the reef" up the coast.

Get ready... lot's of surf coming our way in the next few weeks!

Cheers to all.
Don Harris
Scott

Post by Scott »

The final kneeboarding contest in the Northwestern Conference (Santa Cruz area) was today at Pleasure Point. What a great way to finish the three-event season, with 4-6 ft. Pleasure Point on a very solid south swell! There were lots of beautiful waves on a sunny day with very light winds, often offshore. They were the best contest waves I've been in since the 2009 World Contest in New Zealand (although there have been some amazing lefts occasionally at the Huntington KSUSA contests in the last few years, but going LEFT just doesn't count for me the same--I've grown up on right hand point and reef breaks.

But someone has grown up with even more sessions in those right handed points and reefs: Roger Hughes. Roger was THE force over the season, winning all three events, including today. Combining strong surfing and excellent balance, combined with uncanny wave knowledge, Roger got the best waves of every event, including an absolute 6' jewel today that fired all the way down the point in the finals. Randy Reed had another second place finish, which he did for two of the three contests, and pushed Roger the most.

And all there were was a final heat today, since we only had five surfers. No semis, which was too bad as it would have been a blast to surf twice today instead of once. But we made the best of our single session. A special treat was having legendary ripper Jamie McHugh bobbing in the line up with us as a non-contestant (there were PLENTY of those, unfortunately), cheering us on. Jamie made sure he first got a few gems of his own at Sewer Peak--breaking even better--in the hour previous.

Kurt Fellow shot some video of the finals, so maybe he'll have something for us posted soon.

Final results:
1st Roger Hughes
2nd Randy Reed
3rd Scott Wessling
4th Mike Neal
5th Don Harris
Kurt
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

kneeboarding contest in the Northwestern Conference

Post by Kurt »

Yes Kurt Fellow was there with silly little camcorder in hand....Looked like all the boys had a pretty good time as the wave were much better than last round...
I've been side lined with this left ear ...Pain pressure can't hear a thing...good waves and driving me nuts!!!.....
But hey gave me some time to put a little video of the event together today...
.....So Congratulations to all that entered and competed I think your all winners for getting out there and punching out for the win....and Congratulations to Roger Hughes for the Win!!!

https://youtu.be/AcFqfKNlkK8

Kurt Burakowski
Surf More Stress Less
The Creediler

Post by The Creediler »

Thanks for the footage Kurt! Looks good!
Kurt

Video

Post by Kurt »

Your Welcome,

.....they don't just throw them self's together...there is a little lick and stick involved .....but I do enjoy making them and learn new things every time.....Sure do miss my GoPro.....
I was killing my self with Cher - Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves....I so feel like that some times when I'm out getting yelled at for getting dropped in on...because I'm to deep or the new one....you have filppers and that's a propulsion systems and you freaking cheating....it never stops....

But my Mom was a Boggie Boarder and my Father a Surfer....So what I'm I to do.....

...But I did crack myself up with that classic oldie song from yesteryear....
Surf More Stress Less