USSF Oceanside June 26th...

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Will you be entering the USSF Oceanside, CA Kneeboard Comp June 26th?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 36

eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by eqKneelo »

Jack- It'll be good to see you off... hope you can make it.

And yes, the Freezin' Ricans and I drank a lot more Rum than salt-water. Good Times, though.
EQ
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Good Luck you guys; couldn't manage the work schedule. Ed check your P M :) Wayne Kopit
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

TEAM USA T-shirts will be available at the USSF Contest this Saturday! See Tom Linn. Plan ahead to pick one up :D !
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

The EQ is the new US champ. Busting up the competion with down the line surfing, powerful lip bashes and hugh floating re-entries, EQ was dominant presence throughout the competition. Barry the Bull Rider was a very close second scoring the wave of the day during the final. Bill Lerner also scored excellent waves and ripped every heat he entered. Final results are as follows:

1st Ed Quinn
2nd Barry Baker
3rd Bill Lerner
4th Tom Linn

The US Champs were great fun. 12 kneelos from KSUSA competed and impressed the crowd as a whole. I talked to a handful of stand-up surfers who said how impressed they were with the how hot the entire group was. Paul West and the USSF were very gracious in providing us with prime water time and preferred treatment.

Waves were 2-5' faces with the odd six footer coming out of the south. Shape was very contestable with some waves forming long down the line lefts. Smooth in the morning, a bit lumpy for the 1:30 PM final. Most everybody hung out and surfed all day. Brews and Mexican were had at Anita's after the comp.
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Nice results Ed and crew! What was everybody riding?

Red Stripe tonight...Brown stripe tomorrow morning :wink:
Scott

Boards In The USSF Contest

Post by Scott »

Eric, if I recall right, the boards used in the final were as follows:
Ed Quinn; Blast Tri-Fin
Barry Baker; No label twin fin (hey, Barry, who shaped that great board?)
Bill Learner; Blast Round Pin Quad
Tom Linn; Shoelkoph (sp?) Quad

So what's obviously the best board?...whichever one you ride the best!
barry

oside board

Post by barry »

Scott glad you made it home . cheers to you for driving all the way down from up north to be a part of this 8) Eric Schoelkopf has made most of boards for the last 18 years. He can be reached at (760)505-4769 if any of you are interested. Had a great time with everyone in Oceanside Thanks to all for showing up and having a good time.
Barry
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

check out site180.com for photos of the comp. Cool photos of the following guys:

Will Kelly
south peak brad
Greg Shewman
Ed Quinn
Barry the bull rider
bill Lerner
Ler
Sprocky
Ler

Contest

Post by Ler »

Great showing for this contest. The U.S.S.F took really good care of the kneelo's again, but even more this year, by having all the heats in one day. Very cool. Thanks. Good to see everybody.

Ler
Jafo
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jafo »

Congrats, EQ!

Sounds like everyone put on a strong showing. Who needs Jack around, anyway?

Nice to get some shots on that 180 web site, too. From a quick review, it seems the photographer shot more kneelo pics than any other division!

Hey Barry, do you ever get blinded from your hair whipping around into your face during your re-entries? :P I have to admit, the flying locks help convey your speed in some of the still pictures!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Back from camping at Cardiff now. Had a great time at the USSFs (I'm sandbaggin for SantaCruz...) Even though I didn't make it out of my heat, at least I lost to the eventual Champ!! Way to go EQ :D The final started off with a real bang for Ed and in my opinion he won it all in the 1st 7 minutes or so of the 20 min final with several powerful waves. Great job Barry, Bill, and Tom.
Was great to meet Scott and his wife Pam, as well as TooFast.
southpeakbrad

USSF US Championship Photos

Post by southpeakbrad »

I posted some photos of the USSF US Champs in the Photo Gallery in the folder used for the KSUSA Champs last November (it was the best spot...)
Check back over the next few days as I will be posting some "fair quality" photos of the Finals. Fair quality only refers to my camera and photog skills; they'll still give you an idea of how great everyone in the Finals surfed!
I hope the Worlds can be held in the USA next time, we'll put on a great show :D
Scott

Way to go, Brad!

Post by Scott »

Brad, thanks for posting the pics! Gives everyone a little idea of the setup down there. Dang beachbreaks! All you SoCal guys tore'em up.

It was great to meet you--see you at Pleasure Point.

I also have video edited and just sent off to Don Harris to improve upon. Should be posted in the near future somewhere on KSUSA.
barry

The Hair

Post by barry »

Hey Jafo, the only time I have been 'Blinded' by The Hair is once while getting spit out of a large tube at RJ's The pressure from the wave spitting blew my hair forward around my face and it whipped my eyeballs sooo hard I was blinded for a moment. Stung pretty bad for a few moments but getting a huge pit, it was worth it. Always Stoked to get a Good Barrel
Barry
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

OK some photos of the Finals are up in the gallery. Tom would never say so but he spent a bunch of time in the hook during the finals.... a Fish Hook! Several of the other competitors had trouble with the fishline and the upcoast current during the contest as well. Made paddling out quite interesting.