2017 World Titles-Team USA

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

2017 World Titles-Team USA

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey everyone,

The ISA Kneeboard Surfing World Titles are coming up September 30 through October 8, 2017. Main venue is Somo Beach in Cantabria, Spain.

Here is the link to the official website with info on registration:
http://wkc2017.com/en/#features

You need to sign up, get a registration number that is used when you transfer your entry fee via bank transfer (info on website).

The Worlds only happen every two years and flights are reasonable. Now's the time to get on it if you can make it.

Let us know if you're going :!: 8)
~Brad
Fossil Man
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Re: 2017 World Titles-Team USA

Post by Fossil Man »

Slightly off topic but couldn't find spot for "new topic" entries, didn't make March Oceanside contest, but was hoping to score a t-shirt or hoodie with that great contest logo , was there, is there any available

Mahalos, Robert
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hi Robert,

Sorry, but we sold out this year. It was a popular design for sure! Hope all's well,
Brad
fincut
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by fincut »

I'm not a contender but still dig kneeboarding and won't make it out of round 1, but got a few questions I can't figure out.

Is there an AAA bracket etc.?

What type of wave is Somo similiar to? I'm first impression is small Oceanside? I just can't find any video.

Has anyone hit up San Sebastian, Biarritz, etc. and and of you guys planning to do some exploring after the contest?

Is it possible to rent a car in Bilbao and drop it off in Bordeaux for a flight home? Or just back track to Bilbao is best?

Sorta serious about making the trip and exploring. Plus its good incentive to get into shape.

Thanks. Bob W.
joe

Post by joe »

The World Titles usually have qualifying rounds for the less experienced surfers in the Open. Higher ranked competitors from each country are usually seeded directly into the later rounds. You will also have a chance to surf in your age division. It's a good time even if you're not a serious competitor.

The venue, Somo Beach, is a beach break on the North Coast of Spain. I don't know much about the beach, but the region can get epic surf that time of year.

It's beautiful country and I highly recommend taking some time to explore the surf, the food, and the culture.

You can probably get a car rental from one of the big companies with drop off in another location. You will likely pay a significantly higher price for this.

There are some great rates on flights and the exchange rate is good. This is a good time for a trip to Spain. Let us know if you're going to join us as part of Team USA.

Joe
knee-rider

Post by knee-rider »

Hi Folks this is your friendly American expatriate that some of y'all met this past February at the US worlds qualifying rounds in Oceanside
Joe I am still expecting you to give my "ars" a call once you get to Florence-- i might even have a place for you and your wife to stay for free

I just came back from 5 days surfing SOMO with former 2013 world champion Ruben Gutierrez-- one on one lessons what an experience. I just found out that I was doing so many things wrong that I cant count them all. A true learning experience

What type wave is SOMO?? Somo gets fantastic wave action from September through October and onwards into winter-- this is NOT the Atlantic this is the Cantabrian sea
The Cantabrian sea faces North West and gets all those North Atlantic Huricane spinning out from Canada back towards Europe....and winter storm DEEP FETCH swells Especially the Irish sea storms

The closest airport is actually Santander well serviced from Madrid International main airport-- its just literally a 35 minute short flight from Madrid (small LearJet style planes boards could be a problem) or if you prefer a three and a half hour car ride from Madrid in a beautiful mountain setting that gives way to very green hills

Somo is located North across the river mouth from Santander -- a 25 minute boat ride from down town to town center, or a 40 minute car ride across the bay. Somo is a very small village that fills to the brim in summer time from all European surfers that are trying to get summer swell. Somo is the birthplace of Spanish surfing and Fiochi -- yes Jesus a very good kneelo (see him on legless TV)-- his father claims to be the first Spanish surfer ever. Check this out folks. http://tiempo.fiochi.com/indice.php#

The beach we are talking about is at least 1 and a 1/2 miles long, and the contest should be taking place right in front of the Surf Club house-- nice and fancy one might I say- never seen this set up in the USA-- other web cam sight to click on and see what's up-------http://www.somocam.com/. CONSIDER 9 time zones ahead of California so if you see darkness try again during our daylight hours

When I was there the waves ranged from almost flat to overhead. Overhead kicks some royal "ars" and it actually turned out a bit too much for my 59yrs of age and way out of shape from surfing Mediterranean "Whale Farts" -- There are various breaks along the mile and a half stretch but they are all sand bottoms NO rocks and or reefs- JUST SAND BARS- There are two Islands in front of the river mouth and Somo bay that shade out bigger swell for the beginners. If and when there is wind it eventually tends to die out by afternoon -- this area of Spain is far more exposed then Biarritz and far less populated by surfers

For all of your travelers wanting to move on to Biarritz you are facing a 3/4 hour car ride through the Basque area with dozens of uncrowded surf breaks to explore. For all you "spiritual/religious" surfers the world renown Camino de Santiago de Compostela actually takes you through this area

Surprisingly enough there are quite a few kneelos between Somo and the French Biarritz and Hossegor area. If you need cheap accomodations check out the. OSTERIA de Somo hotel facility in the main street of Somo -- plenty more surf houses and apartments at very reasonable prices

Water temperatures require at 3/2 mm wetsuit

These is my contribution -- if you are not tired of reading and want to know more let the knee rider know
it's all about the ride
joe

Post by joe »

Thanks for the report Dave. Somo sounds great. Really looking forward to it. Are you going to make it to the World Titles? If not, we'll look you up in Italy.

Joe
knee-rider

Post by knee-rider »

Hi Joe I cant guarantee to be there as a spectator for the world event because of conflicting work schedules but you never know
We have an Italian good friend of mine that signed up to participate at the worlds finals repping for Italy
Federico is a stand up surfer and a professional instructor for SUP, and stand up surfing but no kneelo experience so I am trying to give him as much advice as possible. He wants me to hop in his van and drive the 24 hours with him from Italy--so you never know

You got my contact numbers Joe so when you are here and if Thomas Patrick-- my shaper has moved out of the house in Firenze I will let you guys in there if I am not traveling around the country and or overseas for business
See y'all soon
Dave
it's all about the ride
joe

Post by joe »

Image World Titles is just a few weeks away. The list of competitors has been posted on the World Titles web site. 14 countries will be represented. Eight members of Team USA will be competing in the Open and five different age divisions. Looking forward to a good time in Spain with kneeboard friends from around the globe.

http://wkc2017.com/en/liste-officielle- ... -isa-2017/