Is throwing big spray good surfing ?

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by K-man »

[quote="red"]I don't suppose many of you have tried peeing over your heads?

Hmmmmm.Gotta admit thats a new one on me red.Probably requires afew drinkies to loosen up the gear.Definately a guy thing-Must be an aussie thing-YA RECON :lol:

cheers
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Actually, I knew a woman once...oh, never mind since this is a family rated forum...
OOK
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by OOK »

Back on the thread
from my observations over the years and i have done a lot of judging even judged the PI classic final which included the best kneeboard surfing I have ever seen in the mid 90s 95 ? with Farrer, Coleman, Parkes and Bould at a solid 5 foot dunnyblock right hander it was really close between Farrer & Coleman I have never seen such go for broke risky beyond vertical surfing anyway I digress... what I was meaning is that from my obs some guys seem to throw spray in one instant with a huge splurge (jamming turns all the pressure in one hit) and others throw much more even spray through the whole turn showing really good even carving control on the rail. I used a ski comparison as in a past life I was an examiner and we used to look for even spray coming off the side of the ski or snow board evenly the whole turn which dictates carving where as spray coming off at once and down hill meant a more skidded turn which is not as pure.
I know some guys on this site are looking for the pure turn perhaps spray analysis can lead us to this holy grail (no we dont need to examine road kill or take urine samples ) might even be fun :D cheers DG
albert

Post by albert »

I realize this topic has been pretty much exhausted. But I felt like I had no other choice on this one...

BAMM!!! I truly cant deny this is a fu#@ing great turn. This picture would have never had the impression it has on me if simon didnt absolutely blow the back out of this thing...

... and if you look closely you can tell that at the time the picture was taken simon wasnt putting as much force into the turn as he was at the start of it... cant wait to see this turn on film..
hart

over?

Post by hart »

Hey Albert..

this topic is far from exhausted.coz I'm not either

:D

while U use such salient examples..

it is a 3 foot wave yet what a gouge..!!

ouch

:)
ross

Post by ross »

by far the best shot of a kneeboarder i've ever seen.full stop.
MEAT
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by MEAT »

I remember one conversation I had with Simon whilst free surfing with him. He did this almighty power thrusted turn (one which would have snapped a mere mortals back).When he paddled back out, I said to him: How in the f****n hell did you do that. He said, " Simple,generate enough speed, you can do anything....it's that simple". Um, well I'm still trying to generate that sort of speed and it aint that simple.But, still trying. Ooooh! the back.
Question: Is it that simple?
john -

Post by john - »

A. as long as you dont fall off

:arrow: 8)

im a bit over talking about the qualities of the board to help out though :roll:

dorje
merely labled
Jack Beresford

sick

Post by Jack Beresford »

Sick turn - really makes you want to go surfing!

Thanks for posting Albert - who shot the photo? They deserve some credit too!
Jack Beresford
albert

Post by albert »

i think either don or morgan shot that one.

as far as speed... I hear its simple... havent figured out the simple part yet... I know its hard though to generate that much speed.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Great Shot!
In this case the big spray is the result of good surfing, no doubt. Simon's just flying with so much speed and hit that cutback perfectly, with full committment, and we get to enjoy the result 8)
I'd like a copy of this on my wall at home!