CRONULLA PRO

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

scoop
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by scoop »

.....and then Baden surfed magnificently to take out the final from Kyle with Patty Bright 3rd and Keg Gettes 4th....meaning Baden has now won 2 from 3 in our local circuit....He was so committed and was a well deserved win......to all the Baden bagers....you obviously dont watch closely his style and commitment when i counts..although the final was fairly close...from what I saw today was an honest choice of winner...
can I say it was also great to see Gavin oleman come down and say Hi to some of his old mates and even put in some time and do some lenthy judging throughout the day...well done matee
and a huge well done to all the age group winners and John for putting on another greast event....see you all at P I

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
john -

Post by john - »

did things go wrong again!!!! does that mean Cronulla also needs a lip smacker!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P :P :P :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:
merely labled
scoop

Post by scoop »

dorje
believe me baden pulled off THE biggest lip smack on a 10 ft boomer out the back and made it....huge air to the bottom....I dont know what all the comotion is about....Baden sufed rings round everybody...no question

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
jamie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jamie »

and the MYTH grows larger thanks to another ill informed, self appointed judge of good style. :shock: :shock:
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

from an uninvolved seppo's viewpoint it would seem there is some controversy every time Baden wins. there was quite a bit of grumbling when he the world title and now more?
trouble in paradise? viewpoints asunder downunder?
what type of board does mr. Smith ride? this has'nt been much discussed but i know i would be interested in what our current world champ rides. i guess he does'nt like computers so anyone in the know like to share specs on his boards.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
albert

Post by albert »

SMOKIN ROCK wrote:from an uninvolved seppo's viewpoint it would seem there is some controversy every time Baden wins.
From an involved seppo's viewpoint I can tell you there is some controversy. However anyone that you talk to about this will tell you that Mr. Smith is one of the best competitors I have ever seen (if not the best in my experience). Which helps in any comp.

As far as his boards I cant tell you a whole lot... except that they range greatly 6' to 7'2", around 23" wide, pintail quads with a very unique setup for the fins, camber and angles are all kinds of different from what most people would consider normal.

Someone on this should be able to give you more info on this.

Thanks
Albert
splashy

Post by splashy »

Baden, generally speaking, rides double flyer rounded pin-tail four fins with the fins set out a really acute angle (sort of like a hydro-foil affect). He also tends to ride longer boards - closer to 6 foot - for just about any session. I think his smallest board that he rides a lot is 5'8" or 5'10" - the same as Kyle Bryant.

Why all the discussion on Baden? Who knows? I started surfing on the Oz circuit more than 20 years ago and it was there at that time as well. I think it is just general bitchiness and politics because the guy doesn't kiss anyone's arse - but on top of that he is nice to EVERYONE - including (and most especially) those who are most bitchy.

And let's get it straight - the guy rips and has guts. Plus you could say he has been THE long-term dominant force in kneeboarding for the last 20 years non-stop. There is NO-ONE else who has performed at a top level for that long continuously. Guys have come and gone over shorter periods - but NONE for more than 20 years (he was there when I started at age 13 22 years ago). You chould check the contest results for just about EVERY major Oz contest in that time and there would be very few where he would be out of the top 8, and at least two-thirds he would be in the top 4. He is also a staunch supporter of the sport. He promotes it in his local region and really encourages and supports young kneeboarders into the sport. If you can't get to a comp and you live on the way or near to his place, he'll pick you up and take you there. He rips freesurfing - I saw him and his twin brother doing upside re-entries into the tube at the end of cutbacks surfing The Haven back in 1986-87 (or thereabouts) - plus he KNOWS how to work contests (obviously). He's always happy to share his theories of strategies and what the judges are scoring, and he'll even do it in the water during a heat and encourage you. Kneeboarding is his life!!!!!
The fact that his personality is really full on, he tells it as he sees it to your face - whether you agree or not - probably rubs some insecure people the wrong way.
You may not like him, but you gotta respect him. And it sure is pretty sad that almost continuously on this site there are open and (cowardly)backhand digs at him. Sure you may not like his style or his boards or whatever, but why not openly say so? Question his style, question his boards, but don't bag the guy.
And if you don't like that he is world champ - then get out there and beat him - I dare you to try!!!!! Put it publicly on the line like he and every other kneeboarder who competes does. Be open to be judged by your fellow peers, and from that learn and improve and get better - both in your boards and your surfing.
...and if you don't like contests, then rip where ever you surf, or go in the expression sessions.
But above all, let's at least respect one another. Sure we may not agree with each other, but bottom line is we all kneeboard and as far as I am concerned it is greatest bond between us all.
One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name - so stay tubed!
john -

Post by john - »

SENOR ROCK, Howzit?

Heres what i THINK i know from a distance

Baden rides a quad that is shaped by a standup shaper. Someone mentioned one of his boards at the worlds was sort of tear shaped - perhaps as poetry to some of the bull -

hart for memory has likened his equipment and style to Parkesy

Farrer has seen fit (and we are told that farrer does not just film anyone) to include a high degree of footage of Baden in his video

My wife who knows nothing about sufing a such, but does have a general eye for things that look good (she married me didnt she :D :wink: ) on watching the vid liked Baden's style - a very unbiased if non technical view from her.

people are still unhappy with judges and not just when Baden surfs so perhaps he just bears the brunt.....but as i said once before ive got an australian surf mag from the early 80's that details problems with judging back then so hey whats new!
everything can improve however, including judging

and for me....to repeat...if farrer likes Baden's surfing and gives him at least equal time to Gigs on tape, then who are we to complain

- Farrer, Gigs and Baden on the one screen - theres a world champ trend here one would think

dorje

Hey Jamie - you wouldnt want to flesh that statment out a bit :?
merely labled
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

thanks for the info everyone. i really like what splashy said about Baden. especially the part about being upfront with your criticisms.
i don't do contests but theres no way the guy can remain at the top if he sucks.
he's OUR world champ so if you can't respect him at least don't disrespect him here on KSUSA with subtle and not so subtle digs.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
Xmas

Post by Xmas »

Splashy - Well said. Couldn't agree more. This thread and the SKC site seems to be turning into a Baden Smith bagathon. Get over it people.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

I think this thread may have gone of course, I dont know of anyone on the circuit that disrespects Baden, and like splashy (craig ashdown) I have been surfing with Baden for as long as I can remember. Parkesy is the only other person I would put in Badens competitive league. I dont feel the comments made are directed towards Baden, he surfs to the judging criteria perfectly. I feel the point is the judging criteria and its consistency not the fact that Baden wins. I mean the judges seem to change there mind of how to score heat to heat, and it effects people. Classic example of big outside moves should always beat inside grovels, yet at Cronulla we saw guys doing big outside hits on 6 to 7 foot bombs being beaten by some one else doing 3 or 4 wiggles on a reform sitting half way out. That is the problem, consistency in every heat....and it requires a head judge to oversee what is happening and to semi direct on how to judge correctly. Baden may not have the prettiest style in the world, but gees the man is a machine, so leave him out of these discussions.

Its judging thats the problem.
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
john -

Post by john - »

Steenos wrote:........... Baden may not have the prettiest style in the world, but gees the man is a machine, so leave him out of these discussions.

Its judging thats the problem.
it terms of communication via a forum, style of communication is the problem - I think it has become clear that judging criteria is not sitting well with the skills of our best surfers on a consistant level -

- however, when communicating this problem the first thing to do is congradulate the winner for surfing to the understanding of the criteria and then discuss changes - its the diplomatic thing to do

Allyager's title to a thread not long after the worlds smaked of "bag the winners style" even if it was not intended - its the way we think kids!

Steen, even saying the man's style is not pretty is still conjecture, mere opinion. I like his style! So where does that leave the truth of the matter. There is none, only opinions.

Anyway

World champs are there to be talked about....like royalty, actors, pop stars the lot. Baden Smith has caused some serious thought and discussion as a world champ should

Perhaps someone who knows him should interview him and submit it to this site - we dont get regular media if any and a world champ should be interviewed - cant think of to many in other sports that arent interviewed - other sports just get better media coverage

Baden may not like computers but it sounds like he likes to talk - we just need a reporter of sorts

dorje
merely labled
alleyagher
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

we love him fanclub

Post by alleyagher »

i must have missed that 10footer that came though that the king got......................is splashy the presso of the we love the king fan club? maybe someone should write a book on him,maybe just comments from his many fans!!!!!!!!!im sure theres other beggers out there bogging rails and carefully workin there way to the beach :lol:
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

The question is do we want kneeboarding to progress or to be an old mans sport, i would love to see it be a youngs mans sport with a great heritage. If this is the case, then changes need to be made to suit the youth of today, and like it or not, style is a major issue for the lack of growth in our sport. Thats why professional surfing has style included in its judging reportoire, if Kelly Slater or Andy Irons surfed exactly the way they do now, but doing the poo stance, do you think their careers would be as successful? I dont. Professional surfing saw the need to make surfing as attractive as possible, this is how they did it. Kneeboarding needs to grow with todays youth-not abandon them, at the moment we are abandoning them. Judging is the most critical thing in surfing and should be looked at on a yearly basis and move with the times. Judging criteria in kneeboarding has not changed in 30 years. Its coming to make or break time. You be the judge.............. :?:
Steen, even saying the man's style is not pretty is still conjecture, mere opinion. I like his style! So where does that leave the truth of the matter.
I can appreciate Badens surfing style for what it is and in my opinion it is not the cleanest to watch, but as I said before-its not about Baden, leave him out of it.

And I also am allowed to have an opinion.

I didn't see any 10 foot sets either
Last edited by Steeno on Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
red

Post by red »

Tony, Klingo and the boys

HUGE THANKS for the effort you put in in getting the event together and all the time you spent working your butt off on the beach, getting your eyes scorched staring into the ocean hour after hour, retaining concentration to add up scores and managing to keep up good humour through it all.

Anthony, Neil and me came a long way at great expense and you guys made it worth it. (do something about the weather next time, will ya - it was a pleasure to get back to Vicco where it merely rains, not buckets and gales). Special thanks to Steen and Albert.

Thanks to the other blokes at the event. The vibe was great as usual.

There are 2 things we can all do better:
1. Learn how to judge better and judge as many heats as we can.
2. If we kill it in the water it doesn't matter who wins - competing is essence, winning a bonus.

Don't like judged events? Come strut your stuff at Red's Coopers Cup
Last edited by red on Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.