CRONULLA PRO

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

Bud,
By the way Baden's biggest board was an 8'0"
They are double ended quads around 23" wide, 16.5, 16.5", huge concave (1/2 inch). Guess fin position is about 20" to front of front set.
I believe the design is now being machine produced
splashy
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by splashy »

I AM a journalist - and what I wrote was an objective view of the facts combined with a sense of injustice about what is being done to a surfer who - as stated - hasn't got a computer and can't defend himself.

...and, alleyagher, if you think I'm president of any fan club, then you are sadly sadly mistaken... and mate, I respect your right to have an opinion, but I'd respect that opinion more if it was based on balanced and well-reasoned argument... (I apologise about the previous statement if yours was said in jest and I missed that part - hard to gather the 'tone' of a conversation when it is just text on a screen)

I am a fan of ALL surfers who rip - don't give much of a crap about style - whether that be in a competition or freesurfing. Anyone who can reach their max. potential I am a fan of. The MOST respect I have is for a guy I surf with who is almost twice my age but just gets SO stoked about surfing - despite a crook back and neck!! Once in a while he gets a tube....and goes home to have a beer to celebrate. He is the biggest champ in my book.

Look, fellas, let's get back to issues - not personalities. The discussion here should be on judging and board design. One is crucial to the ongoing success of kneeboarding as a competition (and something that there is NEVER going to be an 'answer'), the other is all about what we ride and how ride it - great topics! Both are very personal issues and the discussions are interesting and stimulating.

Let's stick to those!

.....by the way, last I heard Baden was looking at getting some computer-generated copies of his boards to replace ones that break/get old. He's not the only KBer near the top of the competition tree in Oz who is doing this. Which leaves the questions - do they think they have reached the pinnacle of their board design? If so, does this mean the evolution of design will be generated from those who are trying to get to the top of the tree and are hungrier and looking for ways to improve through developing different board designs?
One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name - so stay tubed!
scoop

Post by scoop »

Thanx Red for your comments..
maybe I got carried away with my fingers when typing the wave height (I am looking at a face height) the one I mean was in Badens semi if I remember correctly
For what you guys are saying we would need fully paid quallified judges that are told what to judge with a head judge overseeing and keeping it regular....this costs money ... which we hope to have more of next year
I must admit I learned heaps from the head judge we had at bendy
but we need more of you guys to come and help judge if we dont have "the experts" because of cost restraints and for entrants to get their entries in as early as posible so we can see how many we are to cater for
We are hoping for larger long term sponsors next year along with the one off backing we had at Bendy and Coffs
Jamie (McHugh) I presume??? what is "the myth"...I am sorry I am not as informed as I could be....maybe you could enlighten me with your informed knowledge

Splashy..(Craig)....thank you for your words of wisdom...when work allows you are more than welcome to come and strut your stuff

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
albert

Post by albert »

Awesome quotes that have come out of this thread...
Steenos wrote: Kneeboarding needs to grow with todays youth-not abandon them, at the moment we are abandoning them.

I couldnt agree more on that one...
Red wrote: Don't like judged events? Come strut your stuff at Red's Coopers Cup
I agree with this one too...
Splashy wrote: .....by the way, last I heard Baden was looking at getting some computer-generated copies of his boards to replace ones that break/get old. He's not the only KBer near the top of the competition tree in Oz who is doing this. Which leaves the questions - do they think they have reached the pinnacle of their board design?
This can be a really good thread all by itself... Because I know that there are lots of people out there (myself included) that would love to get their hands on that software and toy around with it for a while, I would especially like to do that with someone like parkesy by my side whilst I tweak around boards.

Thanks
Albert
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Craig is a great kneelo to watch, and super competitive. Can beat anyone on his day, would be cool to see you back around.

I saw that heat tony, with Baden in the Semi and he won it easily but the second and third placings where seriously of the mark and thats what I am talking about. There was a couple of other big hits in that heat "on the outside" that should have scored almost as high as Badens, instead he came third and got beaten by someone who did not even paddle out the back. this was obvious to all on the beach that watched.

I know you are new to this tony, and give you alot of credit for the work you and the guys do, I am not trying to whinge, but this happens alot and its what turns young guys away. When they put it on the line it has to be scored that way, fair enough when they dont.
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
scoop

Post by scoop »

steeno...
we were hoping to have him surf atCoffs but his work commitments didnt allow it....I bought a board off him at the worlds

We are rebuilding and hope we can get it to a level were we please the majority

I love this sport and as you may have noticed from my surfing ability ...It is for you guys I want the curcuit to work but I must say John is THE driving force and face of KSA for the present and with out him I am sure there still wouldnt be any curcuit today...but because there is (I believe) is why the aussies dominate this sport
I do enjoy reading input that could raise the bar even higher

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
hart

truth

Post by hart »

too true steeno..

once again mate your posts :) ..they are on the bloody money as always.

thanks for bringing some sanity to what a lot of people are seeing as a personal assault..which is so untrue.

it only reinforces how some kneeboarders perceive themselves, what they do and how they consider others see us.

nothing at times could be further than the truth.

'till next time

hart

ps

sorry scoop..but there weren't no 10 footers that i saw and i think thats got alot to do with the first post by jamie...we got to be accurate about things if we want to make a voice.. :wink:

there are many people listening.

bruce
john -

Post by john - »

Steenos

i thought youd come back about your opinon and sure your entitled - i just was not clear - what i was thinking was if someone judges someones style then that is" personal" - to say leave Baden out of it then say his style aint pretty seemed at odds

alleyager seems to be (fan club comment and original lip smacker title) stiring the pot we are just adding the spice

style and technical abilities seem entwined

perhaps im outa my depth

but captain cook did comment about the pure joy of surfing on his first encounter of it way back when - i wonder if those guys had comps and judges

see ya

dorje :wink:
merely labled
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Dorje,
the ancient hawaiians were quite into surfing competitively. whole villages, wives ect. were bet on the outcome. sometimes even death for the losers. i'm sure Baden would find that last bit appealing. :P
i think capt. cook was talking about HIS pure joy at seeing naked hawaiian girls surfing.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
hart

style

Post by hart »

dorje

the essential element of contest surfing has always been style.

thats how midget won on 1964..he showed style

'style' is intrinsic to our sport in a contest sense..

think farrelly, nat, TF, MR, Farrer, Novakov, Curran and Slater.

The common denominator.

and we aint talking math(s)

:)

hart
dogtown
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by dogtown »

Being an ex pro skateboarder ,style played a huge role in comps .The guys that were doing the big moves with a tweak were rewarded ahead of the guys doing the same move without style(sketchy).Surf comps should be judged the same,who takes the most risks and looks the best "doin"it.No names mentioned but this does'nt seem to be happening, from what I can gather from the forum.Only my humble opinion guys........Love ,Peace and Kneeboard comp development :wink:
"yes grasshopper'when you can walk the rice paper without making a sound,you are ready to leave the temple"
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

how can I make my hands go clap clap clap in text.

Dogtown....you got it in one

I am lucky to surf with the youngest hottest kneelo surfers on the planet, all these guys ooze style, technical ability, fluidity, speed power and control. They display surfing that blows away anything I have ever seen at a kneelo comp or elsewhere. They are surfing way beyond everybody elses ability at this time, the problem is....when they compete they do manourves that people have never seen before.....so the judging criteria does not know how to react, let alone score them. So the judges dont score them as they should, now when your young and impressionable and look up to the older crew for acknowledgement of your growing repotoire of manouvres (as we all did) it becomes a real disolussioned reality that competitive kneeboarding is stuck in a rut. This needs to change (as I have said many times) if kneeboarding is going to move forward. Its not about baden (get past it) its about recognising the ability that our youth has and not being scared to let them take the future of kneeboarding to another level. its been happening for to long and its time for the judging criteria and the guard to change. Think outside the square, have you ever seen a kneelo do an alleyoop air, or a backflip, air 360....I have regularly. I think its time to let these guys roll on as models for our sport. The only problem now is to get their faith back into our circuit.

cheers
more ramblings from me :wink:
was good to catch up with you bruce-quickly

good style=making it look very easy
Last edited by Steeno on Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

dad
coach
godfather
tws

Post by tws »

Steen,

the judging criteria in most contest is " the surfer who performs the most radical manourvers in the most critical part of the wave is deemed the winner???"

Radical in 1990's floaters, roundhouse cutbacks, barrels

Radical in 2000's airs, vertical lip atttack, increased speed

it seems maybe majority of our judges interpretation of radical has not moved with the same rate as our stand up brothers.

In relaton to dogtown the view on "sketcky " in terms of good or bad style or link up ypu ride i couldn,t agree with you more.

common sence aint that common

tws
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

Hey Timo
sounds like a good trip your organising, people have been going for it manouevre wise for over ten years in comps, its time the criteria caught up with the surfing just like tws pointed out. It feels like the people who do go for it are slowly dissapearing of the circuit, which is a real shame.

dad
coach
godfather