CRONULLA PRO

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by albert »

tws wrote: it seems maybe majority of our judges interpretation of radical has not moved with the same rate as our stand up brothers.
tws
Yes, absolutely...

However you have to understand that if you are to do well in circuit comps, you have to adhere to this criteria (no matter how outdated its interpretation).

Also, the fact that there arent enough kneeboarders out there pushing the criteria enough, hence allowing the judging to stay in a rut.

I am very very guilty of adhering to this outdated judging criteria, I am also working on it.
john -

Post by john - »

criteria is the problem

why should there be the idea of free surfing and criteria dominated contest surfing

we dont have free football and contest football or tennis or ....the list goes on...

cricket is a good example - when one day cricket (free cricket?) took hold of the sport, test cricket became much more exciting because the attacking skills of one day cricket transferred to the longer test version

dump criteria, judge on radical attack, make contest and free surfing no different

Red's friday PI comp style all the time

FREE THE REFUGEESE and those with a contest surfing attitude
Last edited by john - on Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merely labled
splashy
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by splashy »

....taking it all further..... it seems to me that not only does the judging criteria have to change, but also the competition format. At the moment it is all about risk - about clocking up points to get through to the next round to get through to the final where you really go for it.

And BIG radical moves (air-three-O's etc) are risky - and if you don't make it then you pay the price - low score. Even if you get one wave and land one, it's likely that unless you back it up someone can claw you back with more lower scoring waves. So who is the better surfer? What are competitions for? To reward the surfer who can do the best / biggest move? Or to reward the best "surfer" (defined here as someone who can read the waves, demonstrate their water knowledge, be in the right plece for the best waves and surf them, at a minimum, really really well)? Preferably contests should do both.... but are those guys who make the BIGGEST moves the best "surfers", and are the best "surfers" the guys who do the biggest moves?

Previously contests had awards for the biggest re-entry, the best tube, the heaviest wipeout, the most impressive surfer, the most promising junior. They were there as recognition that the competition format did not necessarily recognise or reward those things. And those awards were often more coveted than a first place.

That's not to say we shouldn't keep evolving and searching for a better format - we should, because it helps the sport.

....as for style.....gee, I just don't think you can make broad-brush statements about style - what is good, what is not. I mean, EVERYONE has "a style" (ie how they approach a wave, their decisions on what to do, and how they link up their moves, is a lip there to launch off? or is it there to slot cleanly under and get barrelled?) which allows them to do their moves. Now, BIG moves (as discussed) are pretty obvious and a judging criteria can be set to level the playing field to ensure that moves are compared and scored in a fair and reasonable manner.

Style, though, is another matter. What one person sees as linking and smooth, others see as predictable and boring - and what one person sees as disjointed and uneven, others see as unpredictable and entertaining. (I mean, I've sat at contests and listened to guys actually calling the move the surfer was about to make because their style was so predictable - which doesn't depreciate from the quality of their moves) Therefore it is entirely up to the individual to decide on whether a "style" is good or not....and just because it is popular or unpopular doesn't make it "good" or "bad" (just look at some of the politicians that get elected these days :D ) So I cannot see how in the world you can objectively put "style" into a competitive equation and get ANYTHING that is fair and offers a flat-playing field from which everyone can rise from to score according to their merits.
One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name - so stay tubed!
red

Post by red »

Most of what's being said here was discussed previously on another thread.
There were proposals for other judging formats on that thread.

Talk is cheap. Unfortunately there are only a handful of people with the dedication to the sport to get out there and work to change the system.

One thing is certain. Whinging about the 'unfairness' of the situation is a poor way to motivate change. Let your surfing do the talking. Pull off the biggest moves on 2 waves and win the heat. Worried you'll fall off doing a radical manoeuvre? Practise and get professional about your act. Don't blame the system for your inability to perform under pressure, in adverse conditions or when judges don't like your 'style' (or lack of). Stop trying to win and start competing.

How does the Olympic half-pipe get judged? How do those judges remain 'progressive'? What can we learn?

I'll say it again:
The Cronulla comp was a success. Kudos to the men that worked hard to make it one. What have YOU done for the sport of kneeboarding lately?
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

ohhh no one has mentioned that RED got the most styling barrel of the day, it was sweet as.
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
john -

Post by john - »

for awhile there i thought you were on holidays headwax :wink:
merely labled
albert

Re: Well red said

Post by albert »

headwax wrote:
- On youth... if the young guys aren't attracted to our sport, maybe its something inherent in the sport, rather than the judging system.

Sorry Headwax, but I have to disagree with you on that... The youth ARE attracted to kneeboarding, it appeals to their sense of individuality and trying to excel at something unique. I know thats what got me going on it not so long ago..

However at the moment the youth is not attracted to competitive kneeboarding mainly for the reasons stated in this thread...

Gee, this is another one that would do really well as its own thread...
john -

Post by john - »

Barwon Heads has a great surf shop called "tonic" very funky and many residents sport a tonic sticker on their car - Barwon Heads tribalism

the shop has all the surf mod cons of the popular age - all the kids wear tonic t-shirts - great beach clothes, wax, leggies, wet suits the works

the shop sells great ranges of flippers and booties and flipper savers

it sells surboards and perhaps the largest range of boogie boards around

no kneeboards

there is one second hand kneeboard for sale in Torquay! torquay is the spiritual home of ripcurl and quicksilver and the base for Bells Beach easter contest - its one of surfings true bases - yet one second hand kneebaord for sale - over priced at that and a twin fin

there was a kid kneeriding on his boogie board at 13th on sunday - i have not seen another kneelo along this long popular stretch of surf spots for 3 months - just me -

perhaps this kid who was kneeriding on his boogie looked at my board when i paddled out and went "mmme might try that type of board"

kneeriding has dimminished for many reasons

alot have taken up longboarding - i know 3

two of them now run seperate surfshops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imagine if they maintained kneeboarding and ran their shops

oh well

i pin my hopes on the kid kneeriding on his boogie board being mildly inspired by me - he had good style

dorje
merely labled
No-Standing
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

There are a few videos of the Cronulla contest on this URL

Post by No-Standing »

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/kneelo/

sorry i couldnt take more (damn batteries)
Xmas

Post by Xmas »

I made the comment on the weekend that Kyle Bryant is from a different planet.

Your Honour, I tender Exhibit A which are two videos shot by Marty B.

Super stuff. :D
john -

Post by john - »

er ah Xmas

WERE ARE THEY ?

COULD NOT SEE THEM ON MATTY'S 6 CHOICES IN ABOVE POST
merely labled
Xmas

Post by Xmas »

Ah Dorje.........U need to be on the space shuttle (with Quick Time) to Planet Kneeboard to watch them. :D

Click on bottom right "Cronulla". :?:
john -

Post by john - »

ROGER THAT!

OVER
merely labled