Worlds 2004 in Tahiti ????

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

Cripple Crusader
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Worlds 2004 in Tahiti ????

Post by Cripple Crusader »

From the Kneeboard Surfing UK site:

http://www.kneeboardsurfing.co.uk/notic ... otices.htm

World Championship news.
A proposal has been put forward that the 2004 World Kneeboard Championships should be held in Tahiti on or about 16 June 2004 for a period of 10 to 14 days. The competition may form part of a major sports festival and at present would be the only 'surfing' component. All countries intending to put forward entrants or a team have been asked to register an interest with the Kneeboard Surfing International President Ken Stapleton at stapletonken@hotmail.com by the 1st of June 2003. New Zealand have already indicated that they will attend and it is expected that the UK organisastion will soon follow. We will keep you posted of any developments.

This is all I know, and the boys in the UK are pretty keen, but does anyone have anymore info on this?
On your knees, if you please
Don
Admin

Tahiti Proposal for the WT's...

Post by Don »

This announcement went out from the Secretary of the World body earlier this week.

No decisions have been made. Tahiti has put forth a formal request to host and an inquiry to see who would attend.

The KSUSA Executive Committee (Jack Beresford, Tom Linn, Eric Osland, Paul Duquet, Don Harris, Bud McCray& East Coast rep) will communicate with the World Body and investigate this more.

At our last meeting in Australia with the World Body South Africa was positioned as the venue. We have not heard any "formal" affirmation or concession on the WT's in SA, although it's only a year away...

We'll post the details on the site once we have more info... For now, let's use our designated channels to communicate with the World Body and we'll publish the info as soon as it's ready!
Don Harris
Man O' War
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Man O' War »

Teahupoo People,
You're all insane, especially Ler, whose pictures prove it. If you guys get your way, we'll be coming to visit you in a glassbottom boat.
Not Man o' War but Chicken o' the Sea
Don
Admin

World Body / World Gathering '04 / The Process...

Post by Don »

All,

There is a World Body Kneeboard Organization headed by Ken Stapleton (Aus) - President, Murray Weir (NZ) - VP and Scott Feeney (AUS) - Secretary. Each country has a President and Secretary representing them. The US representatives are Don Harris and Tom Linn who both attended the last WBKO meeting. Post WT events we get together and discuss the following WT's, things to change, things we liked. It is the only time we meet in person (for obvious reasons!), however we do maintain regular email discussions via the Secretary (Scott).

During the meeting in Q'land in '02 South Africa stated they were interested in hosting the '04 event, however to date no formal proposal was put forth. There is however a proposal on the table from Tahiti, which is the one being considered. The US is gearing up for the '06 event (hence our contests of late to get us prepared to handle 150+ kneeriders from all over the world!)

So, please know while we don't have definitive answers for '04, the World Body is looking at all possibilities, and at present reviewing the Tahiti proposal. This is the only formal proposal on the table. The fact that there is so much discussion is AWESOME, so let's give Ken Stapleton and the World Body a chance to sort this out. Ken (President) has vast experience in organizing the WT and keeping the World Body aligned in meeting the goals of the "World Gathering - Featuring the 2004 World Titles".

Please read that carefully... "World Gathering"... when you put a potential 150+ kneeriders and families together over a 2 week period there are a lot of people to satisfy (competitively and socially).

The current Tahiti proposal has not been released for public consumption at this time as it would be premature in setting expectations and would overwhelm the process with discussion amongst the kneerider community world-wide. There could be other submissions by other countries to consider (although we have not seen them yet).

We have our country representatives to carry forth the voices to the World Body. Each individual opinion is respected and for the US, we will be bringing the '04 WT topic up for discussion at our Santa Cruz Kneeboard Festival in November, as well as polling our US members once we have clarified the proposal with the WBKO.

I hope this helps some in explaining the process.... As soon as we have more information which has been accepted and confirmed by the WBKO we will post it.

In short, the WBKO is actively reviewing the Tahiti proposal.

8)
Don Harris
scoop

information

Post by scoop »

we have a club meeting on tuesday at kens place and usually go into aust related subjects as a few of us have nominated for roles in the KSA

i will pass on any info as i recieve it

cheers
tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Jack Beresford

Worlds in Tahiti???

Post by Jack Beresford »

Steeno recently sent out an e-mail with an announcement of the Worlds for next June/July in Papara, Tahiti. The competition would be held at a beach break called Taharuu.

Has there been any decision to sanction this by the World Body Kneeboard Organization? Someone please let us know the status of this since guys might already be sending in money, making plans, etc...
Jack Beresford
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Hi Jack
That invitation was sent out to me by Scott Feeney the Secretary of International Kneeboard Association, So I guess its for real, thought I should pass it on to as many people as I had listed. Ask Don if has heard anything about it? cheers
hope your well
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Cripple Crusader

There is an update which has been posted on the British site. As Steeno says, "I guess its for real".

If its not, I guess there's probably a couple of breaks that could keep a bunch of people entertained who mistakenly end up there!!!! :lol:

http://www.kneeboardsurfing.co.uk/html_ ... otices.htm
scoop

Post by scoop »

ive too just had conformation from Scott Feeney sec of Kneeboard Surfing International
looks like i cant add the document cause its an extension or something
but it looks like its on in Tahiti
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
scoop

Post by scoop »

ok ...ive worked out how to post it

below is the info

tony

2004 TAHITI WORLD KNEEBOARD HORUE
Papara Tahiti , Popoti Bay

Dear friends

Welcome to Tahiti.

We are pleased to host the next 2004 world kneeboard surfing championship in Tahiti.

The organizing committee ( the Fédération Tahitienne de Surf and the Popoti Surf Club) is most proud to receive you in Papara.

Following you will find some information about this event. Please read them and answer whatever is necessary. More info will come soon. If you have any question don’t hesitate to call us at the following address.

All the best

* WHAT: 2004 Tahiti World Kneeboard Horue

* WHEN: June 28 through 08 July 2004

* WHERE: Taharuu beachbreaks at Popoti Bay, Papara , Tahiti

* WHO: World Kneeboard surfing association members

* Organising committee contact:
Popoti Surf Club
Po.box : 12041 Papara, 98712 Tahiti , French Polynesia

Phone: 689 574818 / 689 777425 – Mr Christophe “Quito” Holozet ,
689 583921 / 689 780860 – Mr Ralph Sanford
689 780860 / 689 472596 – Miss Maina Sage

e.mail: qch.Tahiti@netcourrier.com.
AIR TRANSPORTATION

AIR TAHITI NUI is the best way to flight to Tahiti. We have office in Auckland , Brisbane , Tokyo, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Paris . June is a high season tourism in Tahiti , low seasons costs will be applicable to all contestant . Special rate by presenting entry form.

All competitors must be on site 2 days prior the event.

ACCOMODATIONS

Individual bed at families hosting cost 2500 Fxpf ( 1$NZ = 52 Fxpf)

Individual bed at Dormetory at Papara collège cost 1500 Fxpf ( 20 mn walk to the contest area, buses every hour from 7AM to 6PM) Reef surf spot front of the college.

Individual bed at Dormetory at Taharuu Primary school, cost 1500 Fxpf ( 10 mn walk to the contest area, buses every hour from 7AM to 6PM)

All prices include bed, breakfast and dinner. For lunch, snacks and other meals we will suggest the restaurant-snack Popoti on the contest site.

CONTEST AREA

Taharuu beach breaks at Popoti Bay in the city of Papara , is one of the famous surf spot on the south cost of the island of Tahiti. There is an average quality of rights and lefts with sizes: 3 to 8 feet (but can be bigger). A large black sand beach provide perfect place for surf contest.

JUDGES PANEL

To be provide by the Fédération Tahitienne de Surf , under authorithy of ASP head judge Mr Elsior “LAPO” Coutinho. This brasilian guy living on the North shore of Oahu speaks fluent French and English. Also Tahitian crew have already work with him.

COMPUTER SCORING SYSTEM

The computer scoring system will be provide by Mr Shaydar Ederlmann from New Zealand. All scores and detail of the competition will be on live on our website.

COMMUNICATIONS

ADSL on site (high speed dial line)
Cyberbus équiped with 8 workstation for média
Live show on www.horue.pf
TV crew

TRANSPORTATION

The organizing committee will provide buses to transport contestants to/from airport - lodge

Car rental directly at the airport EUROPCAR, AVIS. Special rate for contestants.

PASSPORTS AND VISAS

All contestants should contact their own embassy in their country or territory in order to check what documents are necessary for each competitors to enter in Tahiti.

ATA CARNET ( Authorisation Temporary Admission)

All competitors equipment like surfboards quiver are subject to have an Temporary admission authorization delivered by our chamber of commerce. Document to be fill are required at the custom.

OPENING CEREMONY

28th June 2004 at 10 AM
Traditional folklorics dances
Concert live with local famous guitarists
Cocktail & bbq for all contestants

ENTRY FEE

International competitor : 150 USD
Local competitor : 120 USD

Entry fees payable by check to: Popoti Surf club or cash at registration.

EXTRA ACITIVITIES

During your stay here in Tahiti you will have the opportunity to exchange cultural things like dancing, canoe races. During that period there is a festival of folklorics chants and dances closed to the contest site. Everybody are invited to participate with the population and the city of Papara for all local events.

29th June 2004- Autonomy day parade in Papeete. It is the celebration of the Polynesian autonomy government status, the Polynesia national day

AWARD CEREMONY

All trophies will be given on the contest site.

The official banquet will be held on the festival site. The cost for that award ceremony banquet is 3500 Fxpf per persons including dinner, few drinks per persons. Registration on contest site.

CLOSING CEREMONY

Garden party at the city hall of Papara, in presence of the mayor and council and the representant of the government of French Polynesia. Closing ceremony.
Cripple Crusader

Not a KB'er in sight, but this is definately some of the sickest footage of TP ever and definately worth the look.

http://www.surfermag.com/vids/bh2.wmv
kripchik
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by kripchik »

I am currently trying to convince my lovely husband, that we need to go along to the Worlds in Tahiti. It would be a great buzz to be surrounded by that many kneelos. Plus some of the surf looks good.

Cheers
Sophia
Surf coz U can!
kneelo_44

Post by kneelo_44 »

kripchik wrote:I am currently trying to convince my lovely husband, that we need to go along to the Worlds in Tahiti. Cheers
Sophia
My Sophia

You only have to ask me, not go beating around the bush about. I would be more than happy to go.

John :D
I would rather be slotted
red

Post by red »

Go to www.wannasurf etc.
Click on the "print report" icon on the Tahiti page (sort of top left). This gives you a 23 page .pdf document onscreen with info about a ton of spots around the island and a low-res pics of some breaks. I can feel those reef cuts already!