Central Coast Australia Annual Kneelo Skins

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

jamie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Central Coast Australia Annual Kneelo Skins

Post by jamie »

Sunday 29th August
A Diverse group of 20 kneelos gathered at "Pello" on the far northern stretch of the Central Coast for the 4th Annual Skins Contest.
The concept is simple get together, go surfing, have a barbacue and a few beers and then get home before dark on the same day.
Many thanks to Kim Wheally and Damien Coase for organising a great day. A big thanks to there better halves Kim and Nan for putting on some great food and hospitality afterwards. :D
Small clean waves meant that the light weights with fast flat bottoms surfed best.
Included in the last 9 surfers were Craig McDonald, Peter McClure, Dale Ponsford, Danny Hanlon, Matt and Mike Novakov, Greg Andrews.
Taking home one of the better trophies you would have seen, and the $300 cash first prize was Kyle Bryant.
Jamie
albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by albert »

That sounds like it was pretty fun...

Does anyone know why we dont have one in the south coast???
MEAT
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by MEAT »

Hi Albert,Like all contests I'd say that there is a shortage of people to organise an event like this,even though it may only involve maybe 20 or so surfers.The other problem being,venue,money and insurance.Plus bluntly some events like this could appear to be "clicky"or "elitist". Therefore not get support from the "general contest" kneeboard community. At the moment to separate the "elitists" might not be a good idea, until general contest numbers pickup.In other words at this time (in Oz) it could do more damage than good. I maybe wrong and probably the only way to find out is to find someone to organise it and see what happens.
Nov

Post by Nov »

Insurance, what's that? :lol:
john -

Post by john - »

20 fuskin kneelos in the one spot :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I had this guy paddle over to me the other day and ask me if i knew his long lost school buddy cos he was a kneelo too! All Kneelos in this area obviously sprang from the same womb and Mum only had 3 children!

West Coast/surfcoast Victoria remains kneeboarder arid - unfortunately Phillip Island is just that too far to go "November Contest...No Problem!"

winge winge winge

but 20 fuskin kneelos - some of them had to be cardboard cut outs stuck on spare boards :lol:

i do look foward to my first gathering when ever that may be

dorje
merely labled
Ben B.

Post by Ben B. »

I had a great day at the skins. Its no surprise to alot of aussie kb that the central coast has a good number of kbers.
john -

Post by john - »

Hey BB

What is it about the central coast that attracts kneeboarders? Is that there has remained a core group to inspire the youth or do the girls in your area just love lads on their knees?

dorje
merely labled
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

Sorry I could not attent the Skins.
I became a Kneeboarder after moving to the Central Coast (Geetee talked me into it).
Central Coast = God's Country. This could be the reason.

Pello's has been consistent most of the winter. It's not often that you get consecutive days of 3-4 foot glassy and not many out on a weekend. Pitty it didn't turn it on for the comp.
The only bad surfing day is one where you don't.
Ben B.

Post by Ben B. »

Hey dorge! yes mate i dont know what it is about the central coast with kneelos,i think if you could get them all to turn up to a comp it would be a great turnout! mind you we had a good turn up from the sydney guys for the skins.Mike Nov was carving in the small stuff like he stated at the comp the older guys are still tearing it up.But if you want younger guys involved i think you have to target the young lid riders.
red

Post by red »

Dorje,
I reckon there's 20 kneelos on Phillip Island, at least. The boardriders has 6-10 every season, and there's tons others that only come out on full moon. And yes - they are all related!

Albert - I'm planning a "skins" for fri before the PI contest. Probably midday kickoff so the night drivers can make it. I've committed a case of beer for popularly voted winner - no judges, no heatsheets.