So Cal Scrimmage – Are You Ready for Santa Cruz?

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by southpeakbrad »

Jack,
They changed my work schedule on me so that I have to work the 25th! Hope you all have a great time!!
Brad
Jack Beresford

scrimmage

Post by Jack Beresford »

Reminder: scrimmage this Saturday, 6:30 a.m. at O-side Harbor. Looks like there will be some south so it should be fun. We've filled all 12 spots for the heats but anyone is welcome to come and join in the "seminar" Dr. Linn and I will be leading. We have three "juniors" coming ages 13-14. Should be fun. Greg can't surf (injured arm) but he's agreed to shoot video and maybe teach the groms the "candy sneaker" trick!

Here is the lineup:

1. Darcy Murphine
2. Ed Quinn
3. Dave Weinbaum
4. Joe Coyne
5. Sam Coyne (14)
6. Harry Coyne (13)
7. Jason Foster
8. Mark Robertson
9. Bill Lerner
10. Craig Russell
11. Ed Dimick
12. (13 year old - not sure name)

Don't forget your $10 donation to KSUSA (all except juniors).
Jack Beresford
Jack Beresford

update

Post by Jack Beresford »

Matt C and Sprocky are two late additions.

Bring a VHS tape if you want a copy of the video from the scrimmage.
Jack Beresford
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Damn Jack, The way your planning this, one would think you are going against the Aussies again. The Nor Cal crew are deep into motivating the seals off the beach at Willow Crk. so we can have a real cool time. I have two new boards that have never been ridden and will be christened on this event to who ever would like to ride them. Tom B., You have first rights on my quad. I'm up on the Thruster first and after that all are welcome.

To So Cal I hope you get waves and have a great weekend. We do have fun in-spite of our selves.
Don
Admin

Library card is in tact...

Post by Don »

Jon,

I'll sign up for trying your quad. My diet of Full Sail beer over the summer has come to a slow drizzle so I can fit in my wetsuit :lol: Actually I've surfed more this Aug/Sept than the previous 10 years... that would explain the grinding sound in my left shoulder :shock:

I'm all over being a crash test dummy. We need another shaper in our mix and if your boards are 10% as good as your trophies we're in great shape!

Jack - Great job on getting things going down south. California is a big state and there's no reason we can't have multiple events happening simultaneously. Ask Wino if he's contacted the YMCA to get them invovled ... said he was connected... time to get his boys in the water and start the next wave 8)

Should be a good weekend for all.
Don Harris
Jack Beresford

more

Post by Jack Beresford »

Hey Jon - if you haven't heard, the Aussies are coming - along with the rest of the world. Maybe not this November but for sure in 05 or 06. A few of us are tired of getting our butts kicked - and the time to start getting ready for the next World Titles is now, not a few weeks before. NoCal get on board! It's not a North-South thing, its a USA thing!

Jack
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Good segue, Jack. We're (the USA) are supposed to be voting on when the USA will host The World's ( 2005 or 2006).

Some character at the Tahiti meeting voted me the Northern Hemisphere representative (whatever that means....) and I am supposed to be tallying the votes and reporting back.

SO............this weekend we have two events going on. How about somebody at each event taking the reins and lead a discussion about when to hold The Worlds in the USA - 2005 or 2006.

I'm thinking 2006 would be the more likely candidate - and be in line with The World's being held every two years. More time to set up sponsorships, venue, logistics, etc.

But we need to get on it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, shake that water out of your ears and make some decisions this weekend ......both NorCal and SoCal.

As always,
Dan

p.s. everyone is welcome to contact me and drop in their 2 cents worth.
831-662-3368

p.p.s. Make Jon ride the quad- and shoot some video!
kbing since plywood days
Jack Beresford

dan

Post by Jack Beresford »

Dan - 05 in Santa Cruz is still our goal (probably split between Steamers and PP). Darcy is leading an effort to prepare our proposal to the World Kneeboarding Group by this October. Contact her directly with specific input.

Jack
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Thanx, Jack - That's the first I've heard of it. Booking The Lane definitely needs a lot of lead time.

-Dan
kbing since plywood days
joe

Post by joe »

Thanks Jack and everyone else that attended for making the boys feel welcome and offering encouragement. Sam was super stoked to be involved. Harry prefers knee high surf, but did his best.

It was great for the the boys to see some quality surfing. They're still talking about Bill's barrel roll.
Jafo
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jafo »

Joe, glad the kids had a good time. Sam was charging! Tell them both to keep it up. Good to see you as well.

Jason
Jack Beresford

scrimmage

Post by Jack Beresford »

Good showing everyone! We had about 13 competitors (inlcuding me and Tom) and several other friends join us at O-side Saturday. The surf was small but provided enough energy for some inspired surfing. Special thanks to Bob and Zeke for judging, Greg and Jason for videotaping, Joel for shooting photos and everyone else who helped out. The highlight was watching Sam (14) and Harry Coyne (13) mix it up with the big boys. Anyone interested in getting a video should send me a VHS tape - Jason promises to throw in some "bonus footage" from the HB/Newport Gathering and DMJs a few weeks ago. Joel's photos will be ready this Wednesday - I'll post a few. Best part is we raised about $100 for KSUSA's Junior Development Program!

Based on the turnout, I suspect we may try to do this again before Santa Cruz - stay tuned.

Jack

PS: Mr. US Champion (EQ) big-timed us after making his world debut on "JAG" on Friday night. I guess he must have been out late hob-nobbing with the stars. Hey EQ - nice towel scene!
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

My wife and I caught the show... I had to cover her eyes for the towel scene. :wink:

IMHO, Simon Tanveer (er, Ed) was the best actor in the show, including the regulars. Too bad he got whacked at the end. Given the 'quality' of JAG, I'm hoping for a euro-villian zombie attack sequel.

As I joked w/Ed... great Eastern Block accent! Belarus? Chechyna?

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/Pe ... 3/Ed_Quinn

BTW, I went out at dawn Saturday in sloppy mid-beach. Had it to myself for 1.5 hours. In honor of your scrimmage, I'd yell out 'going left, Jack'... then go right. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Between the scrimmage, Big Sur, and the local scene, a good time was had by all!
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Not hob-nobbing..... snot blowing.

My "friend" Sprocket was suppose to inform you all that I got a nice sinus infection from all those Huntington/Newport Barrels last week. I get sick about 4 times a year, and so far this year it has cost me the Surfer Bowl, the Jalama Gathering, and the Scrimmage.

Is God trying to tell me something?

Hope to see you all soon.
E
yogisurf

So Cal Scrimmage – Are You Ready for Santa Cruz?

Post by yogisurf »

The Scrimmage was fun. I 'free-surfed' thru both heats and tried to stay out of the way. I had only been to one gathering since the inception of KSUSA. I need to go to more.... It's a lot of fun to hang with the KB'ers, see the surfing and check-out everyone's rides.

It was great to see Joe's kids KB'ing. My 15 yr old son never really took to surfing (probably my fault...parenting is LEARNED!).

I missed the part where we were raising funds for the Juniors. Please let me know where I can send my donation.

/Yogi