contest judging

This forum is designed to keep the competitive spirit alive and well as we look at future and past contests.

Moderator: Moderator

hart
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: judging

Post by hart »

[quote="Jack Beresford"]

I think it's better to have professional judges - albeit standups - rather than amateur kneelos.

[quote]

I agree with this comment 100%

Why shouldn't we use professionals (them) to 'judge' other professionals (us)?

And I can't wear the "But they're standups" bit because I reckon we are all surfers first..irrespective of discipline.

hart
splashy
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by splashy »

I think the issue here is the desire and advantages to having professional judges - whether they are stand-up surfers, kneelos, wave ski riders (remember those guys?) - doesn't really matter.

...and there is no rason why we shouldn't recruit and get trained a pool of kneelos as qualified judges (if that is seen as a necessary)

I guess it is something that would probably come from the kneelo organisations to try to coordinate. There are always judging courses being held all over the place - and any competitive kneeboarder (or surfer) would find lots of advantages to doing the Level 1 Judging Course simply to gain an insight into how they will be judged.
One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name - so stay tubed!
john -

Post by john - »

there has been on occasion the comment made that becomming a good kneeboarder is harder than becomming a good standup surfer

not sure how many agree with this - but I first heard it via Nov

if so - can a standup surfer appreciate kneeboarding and what it takes to be good

it seems kneelos are unhappy with some of the judging because its their gig - do standup judges give a toss - to they click on here and consider what the foward thinking kneelos are saying - if a consesus is achieved then no problem

parents teach children and so do educators - id much rather be judged by my peer educators than parents - its all teaching - but different

dorje
merely labled
red

Post by red »

There are accredited kneeboard judges in Australia - just not many (and none that will do a weekend of contest judging free, I think). Young Stapo even hooked an invite to judge (standup) pro contests in Tahiti.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

thats not the reason stewie has not been to another contest, and most people will know why......but we aint even going there on this site

so after reading all this it seems, judges need to be kneelos to appreciate our sport and competant kneelos at that, to understand what they just saw a competitor complete and its kneeboarding difficulty.
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
hart

tomorrow

Post by hart »

Steenos wrote:
so after reading all this it seems, judges need to be kneelos to appreciate our sport and competant kneelos at that, to understand what they just saw a competitor complete and its kneeboarding difficulty.
two weeks ago now ,I had a room full of standups hooting and agree that Farrer was a bullshit surfer.

'pure' (bullshit) surfing takes us beyond the 'boundaries' of our discipline and makes us available to others.

PC and Nov have achieved similar comments. From people.

By making ourselves available to others means that young people may choose to play a part?. (and isn't that what we all underlyingly desire?)

about youth and our future?

This post is about judging contests and to that, I say this.

We should not leave the winner of the next heat ('our' next heat) to be 'judged' by someone who has turned up on a Sunday just because they wanted to and remembered the last tube they had in 1972.

Let us (please) make our sport as professional (and utilise the EXISTING professional parameters [ like Surfing Australia]) as we can.

otherwise..we only a have a bunch of Sundays to follow.

:cry:

thx again for the 'box'

me
albert

Re: Innocent bystander

Post by albert »

headwax wrote: Stewie was in shock aftewards, told me it was the best he'd ever surfed in a contest. Has he been around in a contest since?
Do you mean during the open semis in the 2002 worlds?

I was in that heat and saw the video footage afterwards as well sa looked at the heat sheets... Stewy lost that heat and there were no two ways about it, the fact that he was in shock is a whole separate matter. Besides the difference between 1st and 4th in that heat was only 1.5 points as I recall it.

To be perfectly honest, I consider stewy to be a great kneelo and competitor, but I think there are a fair share of people here that know why he wont show up to any more comps... and it has nothing to do with the judging in the worlds.
john -

Post by john - »

lets look at it another way

Bud - respected kneelo and shaper and some other kneelos get to judge kelly slater at pipline - slater is so good perhaps it does not matter - like sparrow

but what about the other standups - do you relly feel they will appreciate having kneelos judge them as to their competition performance - im thinking no no noooooooo!

however, if im wrong and it would be cool and mutual respect washed over the disciplines, then bring it on

the average kneelo should have the same respect as the average standup in terms of comps and general surf - if Simon gets it thats fine hes out there, but if i have to surf that well to get it.....then accordingly.....not many of us are going to heaven

this is the 10th weekend in a row of shite surf - worst run known to mankind

dorje
merely labled
hart

PC

Post by hart »

dorje

yes, Crawford has judged standup contests (by invitation).

and no one murmered..

hart
john -

Post by john - »

and thats good to know

but mate its.......................one!

and PC was at it when things were perhaps more out there for kneelos

still better than nothin, a precedent at least

when are you going to publish your history of kneeboarding and other tales anyway hart - in a box set with sparrow vids - cmon :wink:

dorje
merely labled
hart

one

Post by hart »

dorje

i know you talk of nirvana..and i know you talk of santa (waiting for "Now & Then) how many more sleeeps?

yet i know there is only one of each (item.. :) not sleep)

Do we need more than one to change our way of mind?

hart

mathematics ignored
john -

Post by john - »

seeking nirvana - an activity to benefit self and others

seeking "now and then" - an activity to benefit self and others by supporting an activity that has contibuted to the genuine good hearted communication on a global scale of a set of people who have in general, a good grip on what it means to be a simple human being with a good heart

many foods one taste

the dharmhadatu

dorje

: 8)
merely labled
jamie

Post by jamie »

Since I seem to have a knack for controversy, apologies in advance to all those that I might offend.
First up, since Albert and Steeno have had there say regarding that semi in Qld 2002, I might have my 2 cents worth.
I was the 4th wheel in the semi and I also have looked at the video of it(its on the only kneeboard video I own).
From memory it went like this, Steeno couldn't buy a decent wave except one which he gifted to me cause he thought he was too far inside - that wave turned out to be one of the best waves I have surfed in a contest during the last 10 years. Albert's waves were marginally better than Steenos but he utilised his size advantage to sneak a couple of tiny barrels and super tight snaps. Stuey's waves were potentially heat winners - however he seemed over amped, did not manage to complete to many full rail turns and basically ended up doing upto 6 half turns where 3 full ones were needed on the better waves he caught.
I paddled out in the seniors with him 20 minutes later and he was spinning out and couldn't believe he didn't get through.
I dont think the judges burnt him, they just made a judgement call and they applied similar calls through out the event.
Personally I prefer qualified, well paid, experienced judges of SURFING any day of the week to all other alternatives. Its easy to trust someone to get it right when they are doing it to live - part time, full time it does not matter - if they stuff up you will find that head judges will avoid working with them in the future.
I dont know that anyone knows what really went down at the 02 worlds with regard to finances. However I do know these facts - I still have a 4th place cheque that bounced twice so I stopped trying to cash it. Peter Holman wrote that cheque out of a business account of his. I spoke to Stuey a couple of months after the comp and he was talking about the guys having another event on the Sunshine Coast, I told him it should not happen till the financial mess was cleaned up.
As far as I know there has not been an open comp up there since.
Jamie
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

i knew i was i last, and you still owe me that heat winning wave :lol: its the only other thing i remember from that heat

I wish stewie would come back, had so many good times with that little fella 8)

and to keep my sanity............i was to far inside :cry:
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather