Anyone surf the South Bay/RPV?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

boards_and_fins
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Anyone surf the South Bay/RPV?

Post by boards_and_fins »

I am just wondering how consistent the surf is in the area. I was planninng on moving to HB as I surf there all of the time However I am going back to school in Culver City my wife works in South Gate and I will eventually work in LA most likley. Sooo, now we are going to move to somewhere like Redondo, RPV, Torrance any of those cities around up to Santa Monica. i need help trying to figure out where though. Where is the surf the most consistent? What is a decent community to live in? Anyone have any advice? Is the localism in RPV really that bad?Thanks in advance. :D
your mom goes to college
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ocean7847
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by ocean7847 »

i've seen a kneelo kill it at a big day at a spot i am not supposed to name online in PV. i was standuping the same day and got vibed by a 'local' guy who i overhead talking to a guy who he knew about how he just moved back from SF. he vibed me and i mouthed back to him about moving to SF and coming "back home" and starting s*&^ - me being from the Bay Area i was pretty pissed to here a semi-tranny pull that crap.

long story short - plenty of good waves in PV and you SHOULD go surf there. i lived/surfed in that area for a year and a half about a year ago. manhattan/porto, PV, or malibu and farther north would be your spots to hit. winter is south bay, summer is north (with exceptions for swell angle of course)

again, RE: PV, most of the people who live there are 2nd generation at least AKA their rich daddy lives there so they have the priveledge of being there, yet they carry on like they are poverty stricken hard core "bay boys". i recall you being a larger individual, which should help you out. maybe i'm just an internet tough guy, but i always got really riled up and ready to fight those pussies. standing 6'4" 200something pounds (though i've dropped 10lbs on this hawaii trip) and having spent most of my days learning how to beat the s*&^ out of people bigger than me in water leaves me a little cocky about who can come up and mouth off about sending me in. especially when its not warranted by a drop in, burn, snake, or kook-out (which you will encounter - they have chips on their shoulders or something). anyway, that said be careful who you might go to blows with, but i've always been just more willing to fight and watch them back off.

sorry for the agro post, i'm drunk. :roll:

edit: i think its hilarious my curse words were turned into "GOOD WORD" by the auto-moderation function. the word was SH!T
WillP

Post by WillP »

Hey Reed I'm from PV. I'm 6'3"+ and have been surfing/KBing here my whole life! Unlike most of the 2nd generation guys here i've departed the area and have worked my way back up. i own my own home in RPV and have worked my ass off to to so. Yeah I had the privelage of growing up here on the hill, but I don't think I deserve to be here any more than the trustfunders that earned their spot in whatever PV lineup they belong to.

I'm not one to get in anyone's face but have called people out on occasion because of bad attitudes. Personally I feel that most of the guys that get hassled when surfing up here get vibed because they don't show the proper respect for the locals (dropping in, back paddling, showing up with 5 people, etc.). Sure there are 1 or 2 spots where the bad rep is well deserved, but being that there are over 30 spots to surf up here during the winter alone, why bother going surfing with 40 guys out when you can surf by yourself or with 1 other person.

Boards & Fins, call me up bro. I invited you to come down to my place in mex a few weeks ago, and gladly extend the invitation to come surf with me this coming winter. You have my cell number. Before you form an opinion about the place, give it a chance. You won't be disappointed.

Oh and Reed, relax man. We're all kneeboarders on this site, regardless of where we're from. I'm probably one of the mellowest people you will ever meet and I'm always super stoked to surf with another KBer. PM me if you wanna session.
ocean7847

Post by ocean7847 »

Will - my radical generalizations clearly don't apply to 100% of the guys up there - but, what would the internet be without radical generalizations? boring, thats what! in fact, the session i went to indicators ( :o :shock: name dropping!?) i went alone and was having a GREAT time with 5-10 people spread over the lineup.

then, the jackass who i mentioned mouthed off, paddled over from the break up the point where the kneelo was killing it when the tide changed. he proceeded to sit behind me, then scream "DON'T BACK PADDLE ME!" when i was drifting around. then he started saying things like "you shouldn't be out here man". i was very polite and said "sorry, i didn't mean to back into you" and even asked if i had burned him or something and he kept going on and on. clear jackassery. while i'm certain NOT EVERYONE in PV is like that, there are enough of them that the lasting impression i had of PV was this experience. i've also witnessed this behavior where a guy is vibed without reason and it totally stinks out the session for everyone in the water.

i've caught the cove and several other places and had stellar sessions, but this incident overshadows them. there wasn't a bad attitude or ettiquette on my part - just a guy with a chip on the shoulder.

no one else in the lineup was vibing anyone, and i certainly was not asserting myself as a top dog on the totem pole. i respected everyone else and waited for scraps or until one of the local guys turned to me and said "you want this one?" to which i said "yeah thanks!" and took it. this guy felt he had to puff out his chest and i just wasn't having it.

i appreciate that you worked hard to get your house in PV but clearly you aren't the rule, you're more like the exception. i will definately take you up on that invite for a winter session BTW. :D

as for relaxing, i've been in HI for 8 days, i have no job, no girlfriend, and i'm 24. calmer than you are!!!! :o
WillP

Post by WillP »

24, no job, no girlfriend, 8 days in Hawai'i!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ARE THE ENVY OF MOST OF THE GUYS ON THIS SITE.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

the session i went to indicators ( name dropping!?)
uh? your surfing Raglan NZ? lol Image
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)