Kneeboarders: our 'place' in the lineup

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

MIK911
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Kneeboarders: our 'place' in the lineup

Post by MIK911 »

I'm brand new to this sport, coming from a longboarding background. Of course, common courtesy, etiquette, localism, competency, all taken into consideration, where do kneeboarders usual sit in the lineup? Inside or outside of shortboarders? It seems that with kicking (fins) and paddling, we should be able to get into waves earlier than short boarders or bodyboarders,right?

I haven't seen many kneeboarders (about 1/yr--and i check out el porto, manhattan pier, PV about 3-4x/wk), so am learning about positioning, paddling vs kicking, wave entry, etc.

thanks
Mike
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: Kneeboarders: our 'place' in the lineup

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bintang Bob

Post by Bintang Bob »

I've found, from my years in over crowded southern Calif., that careful observation determines line up positioning.... 8) you need to watch where the wave is breaking most often AND what the currents are doing... the pack will most likely be keeping a closer eye on each other than where they are in relation to reef, sand bar, etc. triangulate, triangulate, triangulate :!: then there are the days when it's so crowded that no matter how well you know the break or keep track of the drift, somebody has position on you. :? then what :?: localism will rear it's ugly head I guess :oops: so you surf one spot alot, take your lumps, get to know the regular crew and help them hog the peak :twisted:
Kneel before the majesty of our mother ocean
ocean7847

Post by ocean7847 »

deeper than everyone!

:P
john -

Post by john - »

a surfer is a surfer...a board a board

sit where ya gunna catch the wave :!:

regardless of long, short or kneeboard

whilst i dont advocate dropping in when you know the punter will make the wave, I do take off at the peak from the outside and if the insider can make it, they can call me off

missesd many a wave expecting another to make the take but either pulling up or not getting around the bottom
kneelo_44
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by kneelo_44 »

Where ever you want!!
I would rather be slotted
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

well said Mr. Beeline
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
boards_and_fins

Post by boards_and_fins »

ocean7847 wrote:deeper than everyone!

:P
Thats pretty much my motto. Go and watch out for shoulder hoppers. :twisted:
your mom goes to college
Riq dekneelo

Post by Riq dekneelo »

at the limit of my current ability, generally worked out by going as far inside as I can............ until I can't make them, and then backing off a whisker
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
change the only constant or the board is not the limitation
Jack Beresford

where to sit

Post by Jack Beresford »

Those who are new to the sport might want to consider sitting inside until they've got things wired (this goes for whatever you're riding). In addition to being respectful, the advantages of sitting inside are that you can catch a whole bunch of smaller waves and improve quickly - while having fun. You can also watch and learn from others who have the break mastered. Lastly, in the summer you've got a better view of any ladies walking down the beach (or guys, if that's your thing - Darcy)!

Jack

5'8 K-58
Last edited by Jack Beresford on Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

i like the inside sometimes better than the outside. the outside may be walled up but the inside is peaky and fast barrells 8) :twisted:
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Riq dekneelo

Post by Riq dekneelo »

at the limit of my current ability, generally worked out by going as far inside as I can............ until I can't make them, and then backing off a whisker

terminology failure here on my part, for ' inside' read deep, as close to where the wave is gonna break as possible....
Of course working out where your limits are is great fun but be prepared to pay the piper, kiss the rock or suffer whatever the consequences are of moving out of your safety zone.
respect is earned by ability, mutual respect of other riders on the spot and generally having fun while doing it.
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
change the only constant or the board is not the limitation
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Depends on the TYPE of break also. I've made a living sitting a bit inside of everyone at a popular point break I frequent. I can tell from my position the waves that are not going to be makeable from where the pack is sitting. I get those waves :D I know the people who could not make a late drop if there very life depended on it :oops: I get those waves :D Many days, depending on swell direction, have waves that shift away from the normal take-off spot. I get those too :twisted: Why don't others join me at my "secret spot"? Besides the fact that it's a steeper, faster drop that is best left to kneeboards, it seems surfers are a lot like lemmings. I laugh to myself as they all paddle past me on their way to take their position with the rest of their single minded brethren :lol:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
ross

Post by ross »

simple really.regardless of your chosen medium
if your learning sit wide of the pack.so you dont hurt yourself or anyone else.
if your new to an area, sit wide and identify the locals(they're the ones getting all the good ones), pick the ones they don't want.sooner or later a good one will come when they're all busy down the line.if they are cool locals they'll know you've waited for one.

don't like feeling like the invisible man?
the fastest way to get dropped in on is to paddle straight into the line up and up the inside.if i behaved that way whilst visiting i would expect the same treatment.it's disrespectful and bad mannered.

if there is any doubt or hesitation in your surfing dont sit amongst a tight pack of guys who appear to know what they are doing.you wont get any waves and you'll get frustrated.

leave the ego on the beach
choose your breaks wisely.if you study a break and its totally within your comfort zone,charge it.if i was to paddle out on a break that was going to challenge my skill level,i certainly wouldn't be expecting to get set waves let alone mix it with local/regulars for position.

keep it real.
if you think you'll bluff your way through a line up think again.good surfers are experienced surfers.if your inexperienced,a novice or an average joe its obvious.

law of the jungle.
do gooders of the world have managed to stamp this old system.surfing lineups are one of the few places where it hasn't been squashed completely(in fact some parts of east coast oz are still rampant with it :lol: ).most people still learn things the hard way.
if your getting stinkeye,being yelled at,getting run over or nearly drowning.your probably doing the wrong thing and putting others in danger.

to many people these days tend to assume that everyone else is the dickhead,without taking a look at their own behaviour :roll:
boards_and_fins

Post by boards_and_fins »

Jerry wrote:Depends on the TYPE of break also. I've made a living sitting a bit inside of everyone at a popular point break I frequent. I can tell from my position the waves that are not going to be makeable from where the pack is sitting. I get those waves :D I know the people who could not make a late drop if there very life depended on it :oops: I get those waves :D Many days, depending on swell direction, have waves that shift away from the normal take-off spot. I get those too :twisted: Why don't others join me at my "secret spot"? Besides the fact that it's a steeper, faster drop that is best left to kneeboards, it seems surfers are a lot like lemmings. I laugh to myself as they all paddle past me on their way to take their position with the rest of their single minded brethren :lol:
Is that the secret left pointbreak in your location? I am heading up there in Dec, hoping for waves.
your mom goes to college