Cold Water Fin Question

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

boards_and_fins
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Cold Water Fin Question

Post by boards_and_fins »

I am planning a trip up the coast around X-mas. We will be hitting Northern California, Oregon (even there is no surf there..shhhh.) 8) , and Washington state, where I learned surf. I have never worn fins in water that cold. When I used to surf up there I wore 6mil booties. Now here is the problem, I wear viper v-5's for kneeboarding and they only go to XL, and there is no way they are going to fit over thick booties. Anyone have suggestions for a simliar fin that goes up to XXL?
your mom goes to college
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by K-man »

Generally...that time of year oct-dec.the water isn't that cold.The NW trades are generally light,which means the upwelling that occurs in the spring and summer are slowed,meaning the water is warmer.

Guys up here that wear fins are wearing 3mils,I don't wear fins,but wear 5'in spring and 3' thru the fall,along with a lighter suit[4x2]

Hope this helps a bit,a bit off track...
JackG
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by JackG »

When I was shopping for winter fins this year I found the Viper's had a narrow foot opening compared to Redleys. I can't tell much thrust difference between them, but I've got Redley's over H2Odysea fin sox for winter, and V5's with naked feet for summer.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Churchill Slashers take a fin sock really well. Its all I ever wear during the winter months; summer its bare foot. The Slasher (L) seems to fit my size 9 EE foot well - with and w/out the fin socks.

With Duck Feet, I use L bare foot and XL with a bootie.
kbing since plywood days
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I wear 3 mil. year'round.
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
Mike Fernandez

Re: Cold Water Fin Question

Post by Mike Fernandez »

boards_and_fins wrote:I am planning a trip up the coast around X-mas. We will be hitting Northern California, Oregon (even there is no surf there..shhhh.) 8) , and Washington state, where I learned surf. I have never worn fins in water that cold. When I used to surf up there I wore 6mil booties. Now here is the problem, I wear viper v-5's for kneeboarding and they only go to XL, and there is no way they are going to fit over thick booties. Anyone have suggestions for a simliar fin that goes up to XXL?
Hey, I have the solution for you.
Here on the east coast I wear a 6-4mm wetsuit with 5mm booties, and gloves.
It gets down to 20 degree air, with 40 degree water and snow. I use the Original Hydro Fins from Australia, they fit with a 5mm booty. In the summer, I use 3mm booties with XL Vipers.
5mm booties are as thick as you will ever need. Don't get the SCUBA divers kind with a heavy sneaker type sole though. Just get 5mm from a surf shop. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction