Boosting

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Nov
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Boosting

Post by Nov »

I need some help with my airs in small waves (2-3ft), when actually leave the wave I end up doing a really tiny straight air where my nose is higher than my tail. When it's a decent size I can boost cleanly but anybody got any tips for better launching when you aren't flying?
albert
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by albert »

Have you tried leaning forward in the air??

There was a time when I thought that doing grab rail airs was not as good as doing them without holding on to the board, however later I found that grabbing the rails in the air (especially in small waves) gives you a little burst of speed and the obvious control of grabbing the board so it doesnt drop before you do.

Albert
Nov

Post by Nov »

Yeh I always lean foward over my board but I can never seem to get my tail off the wave properly.
albert

Post by albert »

do you project yourself outward, towards the flats?
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Hi mat
the trick in small waves is not to bottom turn so hard in to the launch, if you start your turn half way up the face (instead of bottom turn) you will retain more speed, giving you more air-and if you are leaning forward(over the top of the board), your tail will have more time to lift. an even more important note is spotting the launch pad before you get to it, and as albert said you want to punch out and forward so you can progress towards the beach at the same speed as the wave.

still the main thing to remember is "not to bottom turn" start from half way up the face, if you do it this way your board is not pointing as vertical when you boost, makes it easier because your tail does not have to be lifted as high for you to be centred over your board. easy :D

cheers

and hope your knee is feeling better, I had the same problem when I was your age, it was my growth spurt aswell that caused it, and you are almost as tall as me allready
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Ler

AIR

Post by Ler »

I can't do air in anything less than 4 feet, but the idea should be the same. Haul ass down the line and throw it up. The Simspons do the classic airs. Mineare more forward,but at 6'1" and 200lbs its about all I can do without grabbing rail. I used to practice weird stuff on my knees with a trampoline. Nov, with you being young and all, I would put alot of money on ya , that you can invent some new flip air of some sort, just get a s*&^ load of speed and launch. Have f&ckin fun though, if you aint whats the point.

Go big or go home!

Ler
Nov

Post by Nov »

I sorta see what I'm doing wrong now, when its 4ft and over I drive off the bottom and throw myself off the lip, this doesnt work when its small so I'll have to try this other method when my knees better.
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

Hey mike
I am 6"4 and 220 pounds, its about how you approach the lip to launch. its possible to boost double the wave height (even if its 1 foot) using this method above. The simpsons have been surfing with me for about 7 years, and Troy the younger of the to, turns 21 this week, we will be guzzling beer thursday night at the local. It does come down to speed, but everything in surfing comes down to speed. There are certain shaped waves out there that are just made for boosting. When you watch the surf you can see the boost sections, picture yourself and the line you would pull to launch. Its definately a different line to draw when the surf is under 3ft. :idea:
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Holy smokes! Steeno, you're 6'4"????
I knew you were taller... it's been awhile... and don't take it like 'you come across as shorter...' LOL!
Regarding the ORIGINAL topic... the years at OB are wearing on my desire to boost, not that I've ever been a successful booster. However, the one type of boost I like (say at a place like Trestles) is the air roll. I've only been able to land 'em a couple times, but it feels sooooo good.
I'm a-thinkin that's because I never figured out what Albert described... matching the launch with the forward progress of the wave. Seems like air rolls have a bit more wiggle room on the landing.
Maybe there needs to be a 'fear of flying' support group on the site.
Ler

AIR

Post by Ler »

Thanks for the 411 Steenos. I think your right some waves are just made to air one out. Take Care!
barry

Air

Post by barry »

Steeno
220 wow maybe its all the drinking with the simpsons.
I didn't think you had that much girth when I stayed with you?
I am sure that you are wearing it well :lol:
you are probably going faster and flying farther since you can gain more momentum with the extra weight.
I agree that the line you choose is relative to the amount of air you get
Lots of speed and the right line = lots of air :shock:
Last edited by barry on Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry
Nov

Post by Nov »

Maybe my timings off? I'm good at timing 360s off the lip but maybe im mistiming airs? When on the wave are you supposed to go for them?
Jack Beresford

Nov

Post by Jack Beresford »

Nov - launch it right as the lip starts to throw out, just a little beyond the vertical. That will give the best trajectory up and out a little. It takes a while to reprogram yourself not to just pull-in when you see that lip start to go but hollow waves like that make for some of the best ramps.
Jack Beresford
Ler

AIR

Post by Ler »

After seeing Jack surf, Friday & Saturday. He knows what his saying. Fins out every hit, everytime.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Inspired by all of the cool shots by Slats recently I thought it'd be nice for everyone to see these prior comments on getting air. I promise to even try it!