SINGLE FIN KNEEBOARDS

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)

llll

Post by skansand »

dang!!!!...that actually sounds fun to me!!..ill have to make really thin sharp rails like buddys................id use an 8" flexy...
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
albert

Post by albert »

I was actually using a 11 or 12" crozier copy for a single fin about as far back as I could get it and it was still too loose. And I would advise against using thin sharp rails. I would go with soft high thick rails personally.

I wouldnt trade any of it for my current designs... gettin two new boards on Friday.. cant wait :twisted:
skansand

why

Post by skansand »

why would you advise against it albert?...if i was gonna have to rely on my rails more then id surely go thinner and sharper........i can feel the rail cutting when i ride my aussie tri........think greenough spoon!!...his rails were thin and sharp....when he broke his fin out of the water on a bottom turn his rails would engage like a fin.....surly this applys to hard boards as well ..as even greenoughs balsa spoon(no flex) had super thin rails .....
//////////////...just wondering your reasoning....
Bill E.
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bill E. »

We used to ride really wide diamond tails with a 10" fin back in the day.

The tails were always as thin as possible, almost to the point of havin the fin box poke through a few times. Yes they were fast but I dont remember them turnin very verticle and yes they would slide out when in a tight slot if you didnt watch the board angle with the wide tail.

I still have a few of them singles if I ever pull them out for pics.
Cars come and go, VW's live and breathe

Surfers come and go, Kneeboarders live and breed
albert

Re: why

Post by albert »

skansand wrote:if i was gonna have to rely on my rails more then id surely go thinner and sharper........i can feel the rail cutting when i ride my aussie tri........think greenough spoon!!...his rails were thin and sharp....when he broke his fin out of the water on a bottom turn his rails would engage like a fin..
If you take the placement of Spoon rails relative to the rider's center of gravity you could see that the rails are actually really high and the edge of the rail is not below the rider's knee. Plus most of them had vees through them which could make the rail seem like its eveh higher. Im not talking about the rail along the tail end of the board, rather I am refering to the rail starting at the knees and forward. On my regular boards the rails are very hard nearly 2/3 of the way up. This prevents me having to commit the rail too much to a turn when all I really need is just some projection from the rail, the stability is being provided by the fins so I dont really need to worry there.

If you have a thick soft high rail, you can lay more weight onto it and it will still provide the boyancy you require to flow through the turn (remember at this stage you are not depending nearly as much on the flotation from the center of the board as on other times). Some people use this as their primary means of generating speed and power throughout a turn (i.e. Simon), Im not that good at it so I rely on the fins to give me the stability I need to use only a portion of the rail to get me the speed I need.

I hope that makes some sense.
skansand

well

Post by skansand »

i have nothin to compare to......the 5'8 single-fin i started out on had boxy rails and really didnt prodject through turns,but its out-dated....i havnt rode a modern single-fin.....but i think ill try a single fin in my aussie tri before build a modern single fin........it is low on the agenda....
albert

Re: SINGLE FIN KNEEBOARDS

Post by albert »

kneelingBROTHA wrote: (busted fin box)

well... is it gonna get fixed?!?!

:roll: viewtopic.php?p=33670#33670
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Pulled out my old La Rana single fin a few years ago and it was a trip. One thing I noticed was that it could find the tube easy. Just liked it in there so much it didn't want to come out. It was also much shorter than my present boards which may have had as much impact as it's singleness.

But what a pretty turn they make. Nothing like sinking a long rail turn on a single. Just a complete different way of surfing than multi-fins.
Surf Hard Live Slow