Short article on Kneeboarding from Surfermag

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

KAVA
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KAVA »

no matter what i think of romo himself he makes some really nice retro boards. I think the reason SURFER went with ron and bill is they are local and easy to contact for an in person interview. Of the kneelo's I have met in the water about 10% dont have internet access and add another 10% that havent ever looked up kneeboarding and found this site at sometime. I personally see a resergance of kneeboarding in america. Maybe not the hype of sponging or standup surfing but still on the increase. We should focus on the positive aspects of our sport and promote it as opposed to bicker amongst ourselves and be over analytical. In the end Tomorow i am still going to be a kneeboarder. The question is who will be kneeboarding when we get old and fade away?
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Hi Paul. :wink:

However he followed this by saying-because everthing that is "retro" is back why isn't kneeboarding? Therefore saying kneeboarding is "retro", if thats "pro-kneelo".......
Romo's answer should have been "It is." and then passed the "media torch" to Barry or Jack or Mark or Don or Bill L or Tom. He took the responsibility of being a spokesperson and screwed it up for the 100th time.
1 contest a year, videos that use no US talent, and a couple of youth contests/gatherings make our sport stronger then what it was in the past. However, I certainly wouldnt call the sport "strong". It is moving in the right direction-but not everybody wants to go along with the ride. People (even shapers) can have opinions, cant they?
You want another contest? organize one... you want a US video? buy a camera... you don't want to go "along for the ride", fine, just keep your mouth shut and leave the people who enjoy the current KSUSA contests/gatherings/videos/ect alone. But, If you want to talk to the press and mis-represent the state of Kneelos with your "opinions" , expect to have people give you their opinions right back.
Every publicist will tell you the same thing when you deal with the press:
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
With a modicum of research done by a drunken intern Surfer could have found people if they really wanted to do an article on kneeboarding. They went to the people who they felt represented kneeboarding and got quotes. Was it Romo's fault for giving them quotes that make you uncomfortable? Or was its surfermag's fault for going to Romo, or our fault for not doing a good enough job promoting alternatives . Do you really think that the people at Surfermag have any idea who Bud, Bruce, et al are? Maybe you should write them a letter?
Sorry Paul, but by talking to the press they both became culpable... you can't put this on the Mag. Interviews can go anyway you want... it's the choice of the interview-ee. Bill, especially, is a media genius. He knows better. That guy could do more for us than any 25 Kneelos in the World, but he chooses to be a hindrence.
Romo and Bill are fully aware of the KSUSA.... but they always choose the "Dinasour" direction. You want to defend them and lay blame elsewhere, fine... I'm calling Bullsh!t.
If you wear fins people will mistake you for a sponger sometimes, fact of life, and everbody hates spongers.
I like spongers.
I especially like them more than tired old Kneelos who Hog the limelight from the guys on this site who working their asses off, WITH GREAT SUCCESS, to
FURTHER the sport.
"If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem."

EQ
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Good conversation. Usually I hang around the flexspoon site but the traffic there is so light and you guys got me fired up, so here's my take. (1) Kb'ing is FUN, no matter what you ride--foam, wood or sheet glass. It is a blast and that's the only justification you need. (2) A little honesty and introspection--the degree of difficulty is less than standup surfing. That means the respect is less too. That's how it is in society. The people at the top of whatever ladder are the ones who've mastered the most difficult skill set. Guys who play hardball have the opportunity to earn more money and fame than guys who play softball. (3) If you don't care what the surfing world thinks of kb'ing or what they write in their magazines, the problem is over. If you do care and you're talking about getting some respect, you have to earn it by increasing the degree of difficulty. I can't think of any other way than by performance breakthroughs--el rollos in giant barrels, etc--or by equipment breakthroughs--a board that's more difficult to produce than a surfboard and cannot be ridden by a surfer.

I'm in no position to talk about performance breakthroughs but I know from experience that when your equipment is a spoon, the respect from surfers goes way up. That in itself is no reason to change equipment. It's just the bi-product of having a spoon, because the degree of difficulty is raised, not only in the riding but also in the construction. It's more work, more sacrifice, the learning curve is longer in every way. Surfers give you everything from interest to awe in the parking lot and on the beach, and they like to watch it in the water too. They also recognize that it can't be ridden standing up -- end of half-man slams.

The comment above about Greenough being old news is true, he's moved on, but his equipment is still news. I'd like to know who would have ever gotten interested and how there could have ever been a sport of kneeboarding, or Lis fish, if there hadn't first been a velo with gg blazing along on it to inspire. It looked cool, and since you couldn't get hold of a spoon, you got plywood or foam and made the next best thing and had a blast. Isn't that how it all started to roll in the 60's? Vets, speak up. But with foam the degree of difficulty went down, and so did respect in the surfing world. Their problem, not ours.
PaulN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by PaulN »

eqKneelo wrote:Hi Paul. :wink:

However he followed this by saying-because everthing that is "retro" is back why isn't kneeboarding? Therefore saying kneeboarding is "retro", if thats "pro-kneelo".......
Romo's answer should have been "It is." and then passed the "media torch" to Barry or Jack or Mark or Don or Bill L or Tom. He took the responsibility of being a spokesperson and screwed it up for the 100th time.
1 contest a year, videos that use no US talent, and a couple of youth contests/gatherings make our sport stronger then what it was in the past. However, I certainly wouldnt call the sport "strong". It is moving in the right direction-but not everybody wants to go along with the ride. People (even shapers) can have opinions, cant they?
You want another contest? organize one... you want a US video? buy a camera... you don't want to go "along for the ride", fine, just keep your mouth shut and leave the people who enjoy the current KSUSA contests/gatherings/videos/ect alone. But, If you want to talk to the press and mis-represent the state of Kneelos with your "opinions" , expect to have people give you their opinions right back.
Every publicist will tell you the same thing when you deal with the press:
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
With a modicum of research done by a drunken intern Surfer could have found people if they really wanted to do an article on kneeboarding. They went to the people who they felt represented kneeboarding and got quotes. Was it Romo's fault for giving them quotes that make you uncomfortable? Or was its surfermag's fault for going to Romo, or our fault for not doing a good enough job promoting alternatives . Do you really think that the people at Surfermag have any idea who Bud, Bruce, et al are? Maybe you should write them a letter?
Sorry Paul, but by talking to the press they both became culpable... you can't put this on the Mag. Interviews can go anyway you want... it's the choice of the interview-ee. Bill, especially, is a media genius. He knows better. That guy could do more for us than any 25 Kneelos in the World, but he chooses to be a hindrence.
Romo and Bill are fully aware of the KSUSA.... but they always choose the "Dinasour" direction. You want to defend them and lay blame elsewhere, fine... I'm calling Bullsh!t.
If you wear fins people will mistake you for a sponger sometimes, fact of life, and everbody hates spongers.
I like spongers.
I especially like them more than tired old Kneelos who Hog the limelight from the guys on this site who working their asses off, WITH GREAT SUCCESS, to
FURTHER the sport.
"If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem."

EQ
Good Points EQ. There is way too much for me to quote and its getting confusing. :? Since you seem to be going back and forth between talking about me personally and those in the article let me make a few things clear here:

1. I support the KSUSA. I went to the gathering and brought a product to raffle. I have donated to the KSUSA, bought t shirts and a hat.

2. I have purchased 5 (new) kneeboards since January, all made by kneeboard shapers both local and international. I would argue that purchasing boards does as much to keep the sport alive as anything else. And as long as I have money I will continue to support kneeboard shapers.

3. I will attend the world championships as a spectator, as I cant take the whole week off to compete. Also I would surely lose my first heat anyway. :oops:

Finally I am not defending Romo's quotes per se, though you and I have a different interpretation of the article. I will defend his designs from things like Kava's quote above that he makes a good "retro board". I have heard things like this a lot on this site and have to wonder how many of the people who openly denigrate Romo’s work have either talked to him or have ridden any of his designs like the quad fish, twin fish, or rounded pin with 5 finboxes so you can ride it as a quad, tri, or five fin? I would bet not many. Was Bud lying when he said he saw someone ripping on a Romo in Hawaii recently? No, so it can be done. All of this anti-Romo stuff just reeks of petty personality differences between individuals or bandwagon jumping. If the intention of this site is to promote kneeboarding I ask how is it a good thing to eat our own in public all of the time? Do we want to promote ourselves as petty and cliquey?
Jack Beresford

article

Post by Jack Beresford »

Let's channel this in a positive direction. Here is a letter sent a week ago to Chris Mauro, editor of Surfer:

Chris,

SURFER had the right idea: with the fish/retro-movement in full bloom, it made sense to check-in on Kneeboarding to see how all this rediscovery was affecting some of the surf world's strongest devotees. Unfortunately, by relying on Ron Romanosky and Bill Sharp as your primary sources, you really missed an opportunity to share a great story with your readers.

Romanosky and Sharp certainly played a key role in the sport in the 70s and 80s. They haven't been fully involved in what's been happening in Kneeboarding lately. In fact, in the past 10 years, the sport has resuscitated itself and is now attracting converts and gaining momentum. Most of this progress has occurred under the radar of the mainstream surf community - and even gone unnoticed by some Kneeboarders themselves. Regardless, there are many signs that Kneeboarding isn't going under any time soon:

- The Internet: probably the single biggest impact on the sport's revival. With multiple Web sites by Kneeboard shapers, Kneeboard associations and others, Kneeboarders who were previously underrepresented, isolated and disconnected can now share design details, photos, video and information on upcoming gatherings and a variety of other activities worldwide. This has fueled a boom in interest and access to information that's emboldened long-timers and attracted newbies in greater numbers than ever. As a jumping off point, check out www.ksusa.org.

- Design: Kneeboarders have benefited from nearly every design advance that the mainstream surf community has - and several of their own making - all of which have contributed to a variety of board shapes and fin templates that are pushing performance to new frontiers. While the fish still enjoys a lot of popularity and its performance is without question, most Kneeboarders have moved on in pursuit of designs that work in an even wider variety of conditions.

- Videos: Led by the efforts of 4-time World Champion Simon Farrer (www.simonfarrer.com.au/), Kneeboarders can now purchase one of several high-quality videos on DVD that showcase top guys charging in Hawaii, Indonesia, Australia, Mainland and on location at some of the world's premier breaks. Simon's latest project (not yet released) will include helmet-cam and board-cam footage that generate comparisons to George Greenough's ground breaking work decades ago.

- Contests: In the past, Kneeboarders were mostly relegated to trying to fill a one or two heats at a contest dominated primarily by standups, boogie boarders and others. In recent years, Kneeboarders have established their own contests at quality breaks - some with cash prizes. In fact, this January 7-14, the best Kneeboarders in the world will square off at Steamer Lane, the Hook and Pleasure Point in the 2007 World Kneeboard Championships. The first-ever pro Kneeboard event in Caifornia, more than 100 competitors are expected from as far away as the UK, Puerto Rico, New Zealand and (of course) Australia.

- Performance: Kneeboarding will always be synonymous with tube riding. However, in recent years a new generation of red-hot Kneeboarders have really pushed the envelope. Talk is cheap. The best evidence is in photo galleries and video clips on our Web sites. For example, check out:

Simon Farrer's Web site: http://www.simonfarrer.com.au/
Kneeboard Surfing Australia: http://www.kneeboardsurfaustralia.com/somewhere.htm
Kneeboard Surfing USA: album_cat.php?cat_id=1

SURFER itself recently published some nice shots by pro photographer Mike Fernandez of a few buddies surfing the Metawais on an all-Kneeboard boat trip this summer.

Sorry for the length of this letter but as you know, we only get an opportunity to tell our story every few years at most. Ron and Bill are true legends and a great resource for what happened back in the day. But if you want to know what's happening now, I could suggest a few Kneeboard shapers and surfers who are really pushing the sport forward. Given the curious fascination that's always surrounded Kneeboarders - I think your readers would appreciate it.

Jack Beresford
Kneeboard Surfing USA
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

OK, I've got my popcorn now... what did I miss? Is Thruster back? :wink:
Ler

what up

Post by Ler »

If surfer truley needing to see 1st hand, send them to BOLSA. I surfed twice the the other day and a killer sess in June with Backer and that one kneelo bro with no front teeth is usally out, kinda. It's kneelo paradise. A couple road sodas in a coffee cup and a few dirts. Then cruise. Don'ts tell to many though. wink wink. Hey EQ. You have more smarts than most and the looks to boot. I vote you in charge of media and Jack in charge of letters.

Ler

P.S. I knew the lost boys chornicles was going raise an eyebrow. wait till next month.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

ok im gonna have to take a day off work just to read what you guys have written lol
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

This is going to start a whole new sidebar of kneeling vs sponging vs surfing, but when's the last time you saw a kneeboarder ride a wave like this?

One of the issues of kneeboarding is that our following is small enough, and the sport is difficult enough, that we don't have enough qualified hell-men. Bodyboarding is bigger, so they do.

By hell men I don't mean people who surf the "regular" big wave spots--chargers that rip Mavs, Blacks, and other places are heroes in my book. But to me, a hell-man is one that pushes the boundaries of what big waves can be ridden on any given equipment.

Right now, the focus is slabs, and well...that's a slab. Someone go tackle one on a kneeboard and we'll all be seeing 12 year olds kneeling at your local. Tackling a death wish like that would truly make the kneeboard synonymous with tuberiding in the modern age.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
jadams3
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by jadams3 »

Great letter Jack :!: Now that's the way to promote kneeboarding, at least in the mainstream surfing press......

I'd love to see a feature article in Surfer/Surfing/Surfer's Journal showcasing the talents of our top riders and the designs of our best shapers...with a nod to the past and an eye on the future......there's enough great pics in the galleries from many contibutors to make a great article sparkle and induce stoke...... :idea:

Somebody's got to write it, do the interviews, compile the pics, and submit it.......

It should be one of our "spokesmen"......somebody with credibility and creativety......any "volunteers" ?????

just an idea...... 8)
Aloha.......JA
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Paul-
I was not in ANYWAY talking to you personally... I don't even know you. Re-read my posts in that manner.. as general responses to your very intriguing rhetorical questions. (Unfortunately for you, you are trying to defend statements that are indefensible. :wink:

As for ROMO, I'm sorry, but the guy has made his case against modern kneelos for too long. It's sad, because he could be SUCH AN ASSET, but he chooses to be a bitter old timer. It gives us no choice but to move on.
However, if you ride his boards, you support his archaic philosophies by default. Remember... support those who support us.

Truth is, Man Of War is right. Riding a short kneeboard with the fins on the tail and big sloppy flippers on your feet IS easy. ANYONE can do it.
Now, if you go get a couple of the Sparrow videos, you'll see a lot of surfing that is NOT easy and CANNOT be done on a short 80's style kneeboard. What you'll see is the future... the future that Team Romo refuses to move into.

Ler-
I love you too. :wink:
Truth is, Publicity is trench warfare.
You work hard till someone notices. If they want to talk to you, you make the time.
You show up, humble and positive, and hope to gain some ground.
Then you go back to work and hope you've furthered your cause.
As soon as you get cute, you're gonna get creamed. (Trust me...
:shock: :oops: :cry:... been there, done that. )
And anyone who is detrimental to your cause needs to be eradicated immediately.... regardless of how many set waves they got in the 70's.

Nice letter Jack... too bad the Wedge Guys couldn't have sent the Mag to you in the First Place.

JAdams- That's the spirit!

EQ
Last edited by eqKneelo on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

ScottMac wrote:Well, up here Phil Curtiss has been kneeboarding Mavericks for years.
A kneelo who definitely has gained the rep and respect of his surfing
peers.

Guess you need a series of things to happen in order to get the publicity
you're looking for...

First you need the right surf, second you need the photographers on hand
to point the camera at you and document it.

I imagine the crew surfing that wave in AUS. showed up with a group of
photographers judging from the different angles I've seen in photos to
make certain it got documented. Probably had the backing of a
bodyboarding magazine to make the whole thing happen as well.
I make this the last sponging comment unrelated to the topic at hand here.

To address the publicity I'm "looking for"...I've been sponging for years and taking crap for it from all sorts of people, and whatever crap I get for kneeboarding I'll take with a grin, as I don't really care if people understand what's up with me, due to lack of publicity.

Funny you should say that they showed up with a group of photographers. Most spongers who ride these waves get absolutely no coverage at all. I believe on the last big swell at Chopes--the biggest swell EVER RIDDEN THERE--Brendon Newton (I believe that is his name) got the BIGGEST PADDLE IN WAVE--period, no debate--ridden at Chopes. Ever. And guess what? I'm pretty sure nobody got it on film. I remember reading about it on multiple sites, and all that was said was "so-and-so [a bodyboarding photographer] so I'm sure he got some shots, time will tell." Bodyboarders don't go with the goal of making sure it gets documented; it probably won't and they know that. Oh, and you know the Mike Stewart tow-in at Chopes? Only one or two photographers got the shot. One I believe, everyone cleared out once they saw that the spongers were going to surf the massive swell.

And IMAX crew was there durign one of the two aforementioned swells, and once they saw bodyboarders start to go out in the water, even though this was historical material during a historical swell, they made jokes about the bodyboarers and straight-up left.

Okay. Now that my wounded boogie pride is cleared out of my system, I'd be stoked to do some kneeboarding interviews with the goal of getting it in a mag. Who thinks that a kneeboard feature is a possible thing to put together? Hmmm?

I would love to get the kneelo nation out there in front of the public eye.

As far as feeling "secure" about myself in the lineup, though, I'm already secure. I've been wearing flippers for years, after all!
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

You have to understand reporters. They have to fill column space daily and, after a few years, become- basically- brain dead.

The reporters took the path of least resistence; they went to whomever was on the speed dial/Rolodex.
kbing since plywood days