General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

john -
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by john - »

an after thought

kbrotha

perhaps let Bud post the big pics and further...if kids need inspiration let it be Bud surfing the north shore juice or even the chap from West Ozz surfing Sunset with half a leg missing (see NS 05 DVD)

thats true grit and style in one
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

No, EQ , that is exactly how the media still works to this day. Surfing is no different than the regular media whether nationally or at your local weekly.

New, young reporters will be on it at first but, after a few years, everyone settles into a rut. Most media types start basking in self importance and loose their edge.....if they ever had one.

Working as a reporter is a skilled but low paid profession and does take its toll after a short time. Sometimes you can't balme a reporter for taking the easy route to polish off a story and them move on to the next assignemnt.

If KBers want justice then someone (or a bunch of someones) from within the KB community has to start pumping out the press on a regular timetable and flood th editor's desks at the mags/e'zines. Regular press releases everytime there is a KB happening or gathering or whatever. Just like marketing a product.

But then that just cuts down on water time..............
kbing since plywood days
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

part 2

If the KB community wants to change the way the surfing world/surf mags view KBing then we need to launch an 18 month publicity campaign.
We would have to buy multiple page ads/infomercials in each surfing publications each month........which would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I have the experience and would be more than happy to administer it.

Have to pay off the kids college loans and house at Todo Santos..................
kbing since plywood days
jadams3
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by jadams3 »

There certainly has been alot of interesting exchanges of ideas and opinions.....

But doesn't the collective Kneelo community have to ask itself....."Why do we really want to change or influence the way footboarders and bodyboarders perceive us.....We certainly don't want any negative press but if Kneeboarding, through a feature article or a variety of factors, were to make a grand resurgence (perhaps we already are) and have the surfing world acknowledge it as such, how will our best shapers feel about being inundated with new board orders and how will you all feel about seeing thousands of new "converts" to the kneelo world flocking to your local beaches? .....some will cheer, others will groan.......

Is it legitimacy we are seeking? We have that and more....

Is it respect and understanding for our chosen medium that we want?......some of us will care, others not a hoot....

Or is it only to be fairly and correctly portrayed as a growing, thriving, evolving medium in the surfing world?.......I think that's what I personally would want others to see.....

Retro movements are a look back at the past influences and a renewed interest in what made them work or not.....often just for a taste of nostalgia.......we have guys here who are interested in spoons and shapes of the past but we have alot more guys with that "eye towards the future" who ride the best new shapes and push the limits......I'm not one of the guys you will see charging triple overhead death bombs or boosting insane airs over ultra-shallow reefs.....but I truly enjoy the benefits that modern design provides on those HH+ days at Trestles or my annual pilgrimidge to Hawaii...I also benefit from the shared experience of others on this site......The future of kneeboarding is bright because we have guys interested in the history and heritage of our sport and work to preserve it.....We also have guys constantly improving designs and looking ahead........I'd like the surfing world to see the photos of the outstanding surfing we have here on this site and to see the great designs of guys like Bud, Parkes, Hart, etc.......

But most importantly I'd like them to see that we have something unique...... that is far from dying a lingering death, but a tightknit community of people dedicated to our sport, it's preservation, and it's advancement for the benefit of all.......
Aloha.......JA
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I kinda know how the system works, so I will say we could try to send out fax's to all the newspapers and TV stations in the area, and even the LA Times, and San Fran papers alerting their sports departments about the Worlds in Jan. Then we keep all the coverage, even requesting video coverage. This would help for sponsorships in the future when we try to have other events. Sponsors like to see plenty of coverage, we could have proof of coverage.
Just a quick idea, and I am at work now, so bye :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Surfhorn- Please don't try to tell me how the media works... it's annoying. Saying "Reporters are lazy" is like saying "Water is wet.". Duh?!
Throwing up your hands in frustration is just lazy... if you would stop typing long enough to actually read what I wrote, you would see that you are missing the point over and over again. So here it is:

1) ROMO AND BILL ARE FULLY AWARE OF THE KSUSA/SIMON AND HIS VIDEOS/THE WORLD TITLES IN SC, AND EVERYTHING GREAT THAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING THE LAST FEW YEARS.

2) THEY HAD A CHOICE>>>> TALK OR PASS THE TORCH.

2) THEY CHOSE TO TALK, BUT INSTEAD OF POINTING THE REPORTER TO THE SITE, OR THE OC BOYS (BARRY/LER/MARK), THEY CHOSE TO MAKE US ALL LOOK LIKE ASSHO!ES... FOR 100TH TIME.

And your "Hundred Thousand Dollar Publicity Campaign" is just stupid and lazy as well.

Publicity is very simple... DON'T BE AN IDIOT! If you have nothing positive to say to the press, DON'T TALK TO THEM!!
The best publicity is letting people discover The Site, The Gatherings (Like Last weekend at HB/NEWP), The Videos, The Contests, and The People involved.... and then making up their minds for themselves.
What CANNOT keep happening is allowing jackasses to run around poisoning the public perception of us by saying asinine things to the media.

If you really want guys like Romo to stop making you look like a fool, stop buying his boards... the message will be loud and clear.

And anyone who is more concerned with "water time" or "their pocketbooks" should be the last person to ever stand in front of our microphone.

EQ
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Tightknit community..... not quite there yet, but there's termendous potential from all the folks posting their activities on this site.

preservation of the sport ... the proof of that will be undeniable when you see Cadet, and Junior entries out numbering all the other divisions....That's not a pipe dream, all you fence sitters just have to go out take some groms under your wings.

In San Diego, AKC has 6 Cadets soon to be Juniors and more being groomed.

In Orange County, Tom Lin's Bear Brand crew numbers 5 (Tom please correct me ). And Big Fred has been working with his daughters to turn them into a formidable crew to challenge women's division (...where are all the lady kneeboarders?????)

The Australian clubs have had much more success -- Hey guys post your cadet and junior headcount.

Kneelos in locales I didn't mention, how's your local scene look like as far as the grom / junior participation ?

Guys -- We talk about know where we came from, and where we want to go, about technological advances, and putting on global events.

All VERY important because they form the infrastructure necessary to support future growth.
In addition, our kids, and kids at the beach will determine if we will see kneeboarders out in the lineup when we are all ROBs or we can sit on the beach, drink our beers and be bitter old men longing for the "good old days"

The question of legitamacy will be answered when the kids in the lineup take up kneeboarding as part of their repetoir -- Just like they shortboarders do with longboarding, skim boarding and body boarding.....

Long live kneeriding!!
THIS is what it's all about... this kind of vision and commitment. This IS the KSUSA.... and the future.
The fact that ANYONE on this site has ANY respect for guys like ROMO and SHARP, who do nothing but denigrate the hard, selfless, work of guys like Martin, is disgusting.
Aloha Martin... You are The Man.
EQ
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

house at Todo Santos
:shock: :D
In Orange County, Tom Lin's Bear Brand crew numbers 5 (Tom please correct me ). And Big Fred has been working with his daughters to turn them into a formidable crew to challenge women's division (...where are all the lady kneeboarders?????)
I do believe I saw Big Tony purchasing one of the blast boards for his daughter.

Im done flaming my local shaper. while i may not appreciate him the way other kneeboarders do. I respect their opinions and rather than alienate myself from them i'll just drop it. Opinions are like a-holes; everybody's got one (or at least most everybody :wink: ) heh heh that used to be my grandfathers favorite saying lol
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

OK, EQ, I'll stop typ
kbing since plywood days
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

KAVA wrote:
house at Todo Santos
:shock: :D

Im done flaming my local shaper. while i may not appreciate him the way other kneeboarders do. I respect their opinions and rather than alienate myself from them i'll just drop it. Opinions are like a-holes; everybody's got one (or at least most everybody :wink: ) heh heh that used to be my grandfathers favorite saying lol
KAVA- Didn't HE alienate YOU by calling you a "Goofy-Looking Weak-Ass Has-Been Homo-Kook." to a few million people in SURFER MAG?
' Never Mess With Another Mans Livelihood'.

Really BEELINE?! That surpises me... I thought you were an Economic Conservative. ROMO's business model would only work in Cuba, North Korea, and Venezuela. :wink:
OK, EQ, I'll stop typ
Good.
albert

Post by albert »

eqKneelo wrote: 1) ROMO AND BILL ARE FULLY AWARE OF THE KSUSA/SIMON AND HIS VIDEOS/THE WORLD TITLES IN SC, AND EVERYTHING GREAT THAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING THE LAST FEW YEARS.

2) THEY HAD A CHOICE>>>> TALK OR PASS THE TORCH.

2) THEY CHOSE TO TALK, BUT INSTEAD OF POINTING THE REPORTER TO THE SITE, OR THE OC BOYS (BARRY/LER/MARK), THEY CHOSE TO MAKE US ALL LOOK LIKE ASSHO!ES... FOR 100TH TIME.

EQ
What happened to number 3???
stemple

Post by stemple »

Would a bunch of letters to the editor do us good or bad? think about the surfline incident or the paper story in england. Hell hath no fury as a kneeboader scorned.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey EQ,
Did you mention Thruster? He's no longer a problem :twisted: Check out the pic and those that follow..
album_showpage.php?pic_id=5718
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Actually, I did.

Now I've had WAY too much popcorn... and Dr. Pepper and Jack Daniels.

What was the question again? My tummy hurts!

:wink: