South Bay gathering...

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

kneelingBROTHA
Legend (Contribution King!)

South Bay gathering...

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

...is anyone down? Maybe a weekend sometime when the surf is up a bit and the beachbreaks are fun? I would say PV but I'm sure Will and the rest of the locs would object to cameras up there. I think it might be fun to put together a small event. People could pick a beachbreak spot, and maybe have it run from 6:00am-2:00pm. I would probably show up at 9:00 or 10:00. I just want to get out there and shoot some kneelo photos for the heck of it, and REP THE SOUTH BAY! I'm sure most of the south bay guys know each other already, but I'm new to the kneeling scene. I've got tons of sponge homies but don't know any kneelos yet.

FYI, I don't know when yet. I'm out of the water indefinately pending results of multiple medical tests (my heart may not be functioning correctly). But that's why they made cameras!

--marc
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

I can drive up for it. let me know what date you decide on and location 8)
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
MIK911
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by MIK911 »

I'm down.
How 'bout El Porto? It's not exactly a secret spot, so camera's shouldn't get anyone ruffled.
Must say tho', that it's been pretty flat there all summer, so unless we start getting some NW swell activity, it looks like the same 'ol knee high walls i've been suffering with all summer.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hi kneelingBROTHA,

I've been surfing Marine Street and it's been fun.Let me know when and I'll for sure be there.

Jeff
gumby

Post by gumby »

This may not be the place to ask. I have never surfed LA county. :shock: I picked up an account in Torance. Suggestions on were to ride up in that area :?
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

El Porto is the place where everyone goes, But there are other spots.About Torrance, needs the right tide and swell direction, Good on a NW Wind swell it can be really fun. let me know when you are in the area let's go out for a surf.

Jeff
Jeff Ommen
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jeff Ommen »

I grew up surfing 15th street in MB and would love to come back for a gathering. I think any of the peaks between the pier and Marine would support the crowd.....

Jeff
WillP

Post by WillP »

What's the surf like up there during the winter? I've only surfed in Hermosa/MB area like 5 times in my life. All summer I drive south and during the winter I stay home and surf up top.
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

All right! Its great to hear so many replies!

Okay...
to answer questions in the order they were asked:
1) Kava--will do about time, date, etc. I'm more than happy to have as many kneelos as possible to stoke out with some south bay camera photo ops, when everything is put together.
2) MIK911--
Porto is a nice place for surfing, but I've always found it rather generic and unflattering for photos. And as far as surf goes, the beach breaks south of it have been doing pretty good (for the season, that is) here and there, so maybe Manhattan southward would be a better bet!
3) Jeff--Marine Street sounds like a definate possibility to surf once I get back out there. As far as shooting photos, I honestly think Manhattan Pier is one of the most photogenic spots out there, and people would really enjoy the results of a Manhattan Photo sesh.
4) Gumby--Picked up an account in Torrance, eh? On any given winter day with N, NW or W ground and windswell in the water, Redondo and the adjacent Torrance beach will be really quite fun. They aren't nearly as rough as the beaches further north, but they still hold barreling shape!
5) Jeff--I definately agree with you about NW wind swell being optimal, but never count Redondo out on any swell, I've had some great, uncrowded days there!
6) Jeff Ommen--yes, definately! Again, Manhattan Pier is the call (south side, North side is black balled year round) for a photo shoot. Its such a great angle.
7) Will P--You're lucky to have the key to PV...the basic routine is this: Hermosa and Manhattan can be quite closed out, but they are almost always hollow. Manhattan especially, I saw a friend make a double barrel wave on his sponge there on a completely blown out after noon sesh on the NS! I would definately say that near the piers, they are hollow, shallow and thumping. With the right tide, they also are peeling, but you have to choose wisely.

That's about it. I was trying to guage interest, and it looks like its there! Well everyone, we'll have to set a date sometime in the future for a photo-gathering, until I am back in the water.

--marc
PaulN

Post by PaulN »

I am down for a gathering especially at Porto, dont they love kneelos there?, Also for the record I was joking about the sponge hate on the other thread. Lighten up Francis. :wink: :lol:
MIK911

Post by MIK911 »

South of MB pier sounds good. Between the pier and 8th St is usually uncrowded (compared to the break adjacent to the S side of the pier).
All we need is a sand bar or two.
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

PaulN wrote:Lighten up Francis. :wink: :lol:
Francis?
PaulN

Post by PaulN »

kneelingBROTHA wrote:
PaulN wrote:Lighten up Francis. :wink: :lol:
Francis?
You may be a little young for Stripes.

Psycho:The name's Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.

Leon: Ooooooh.

Psycho: You just made the list, buddy. Also, I don't like no one touching my stuff. So just keep your meathooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. And I don't like nobody touching me. Any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis.

:?
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

IS THERE SURF IN LA :?: :?: :?:
KAVA wrote:I can drive up for it. let me know what date you decide on and location 8)
I'M DOWN FOR GOING UP!
MAYBE I CAN CARPOOL WITH KAVA OR BEELINE?
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.