Swin Fins - Using Swim Fins With Wetsuit Boots - Winter Surf

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

davmo
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by davmo »

I was out tonight shopping and I dropped into the surf shop that was next door. I checked out the swim fins that they had in stock and I saw that they have one last pair of Churchills Makapuus black in color size XL that first 13-14.5 So I bought them. I am glad that they are black because I have always hated that funky blue/yellow color that Churchill adopted years ago for this fin. I really wish that they would go retro and make a fin in the classic green color. I know that the type of rubber that the originals came in didn't have a lot to offer for power but they were comfortable.

The new fins I bought should work well with some sock type booties.

Now all I need is to wait for the water to get cold and hopefully get some waves this winter. Waiting..............................
MIK911
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by MIK911 »

Beeline wrote:
gumby wrote:When wet suit shoping and checking at the knee pads. The dude at the shop gives me a strange look. :wink:
You know I think we all have the shared experience of strange looks and comments from the 'Counter (opposite) Help'.

Especially if we have to open our mouths and say 'Kneeboard/ing' or
actually explain the why and wherefores' of what we're looking for.

Its just so much easier to be tight lipped and cognizant of our needs
around the 'Counter(sic) Intelligence'. :wink:

Today I ventured out and picked up a pair of (Super XL 11-13)
oversized Duckfeet. The blade length was 1/2-3/4" longer than the 9-11 size -- minimal difference.
Next is some booties, so I can actually navigate some rocky bottoms
instead of goofing all over the bottom with heeless fin sox.

Beeline---did you get your booties yet? I also just bought a pr of Super XL Duckfeet for use w/ booties. I wear size XL in summer w/out booties. Wondering where to buy 1,2,or 3 mm booties.

btw, where'd you find the SuperXL's? Only place i could find mine were on ebay.

thanks
KAVA
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KAVA »

even with booties on duckfeet rip my toes up :cry: thats why i switched to vipers. Always looking to upgrade 8)
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
yogisurf
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by yogisurf »

I started with Duckfeet - Large but got holes in my ankles (many, many years ago). Went to Duckfeet - XL and booties (winter) or finsocks (summer) once finsocks appeared 15 years ago or so. Rule of thumb for Duckfeet, one size up using approximate 2ML booties. If I was gong to surf really cold water I'd probably use new booties, get some glue and stripping and seal them up (Vulcanize!).

Bought an O'neill Psycho 1 3/2 at the end of the 04/05 winter for 250 on the Bay. What a great suit. I have used it down to about 56 (SoCal). I recommend it.
/Yogi
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

Hey Beeline,
Yea I had years of trouble with my feet and fins. My feet are 91/2 EEEEE.
The combo that I use now is, Duckfeet Super Extra Large with the Oneill 3mil bootie. This set up allows room for my extra wide feet, and the bootie has enough thickness to eliminate most of the chafing on my toes. I do need to tape up my toes because there is alot of extra length in the toe box of the fin. This is because I have to use the Super XL fin to accomodate the width of my feet whereby leaving extra length in the toe area. But I have found that taping up is a small price to pay for keeping the skin on my toes.
This set up is comfortable and those large fins have alot of power. Some people that have used those longer fins have had trouble with cramping and sore calfs but there are advantages of having all of the extra power.
I got mine at Big Five sporting goods. If you are going to get a pair of Duckfeet fins remember that these fins are a dual compound fin with the blade being a harder rubber than the foot pocket. When buying make sure to look for a fin that has the harder rubber of the blade as far away from the foot pocket as possable. Not all of the fins are the same. Some have the hard rubber actually in the foot area, and in othors the hard rubber of the fin blade is farther away from the foot area. Keep that hard rubber as far away from your foot as possable.
Also the rubber used in the blue and blacks seem to be a little harder than the brown and black fins. Check them out carefully before buying. Hope that helps ya out. T Hall.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yup and looking to get a new springer. in Feb. For fin discounts end of summer sales at sporting goods stores is the tip.
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
yogisurf

Post by yogisurf »

Yeah, Beeline, a Heat for $150 is a smokin’ deal. I wore a black and green Heat for 6 years (I take super care of my suits) and it was a great wetsuit. The Psycho that I bought is actually a Psycho II, so at the time I got a $100 off. It was the end of the season. Plus it was delivered to my door. I won’t drive to OC for a suit, unless at gunpoint…time is too valuable. I called around shops in SD, couldn’t find one in XLS…I was extremely lucky to find one on the Bay.

Yeah, re the fin socks….my time frames are faulty. 15 is more like 25 years. I don’t go to surf shops much either since all my boards are also delivered to my door. Last time I went I bought 4 pairs of O’Neill fins sox. And I steal all the wax I need from my friend who foots surf and uses a lot. :D

Great surf this weekend, huh?
/Yogi
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

OMG, those would be like wearing socks. There is no way I am going to wear socks to walk/hike/climb to the beach; let alone get on those barnicle infested jagged rocks on the bottom of the ocean.

The ones I use have like tennis shoe bottoms. The are used by divers and they use fins and they feel nice. If I can find a pic I will post it. I dont like holes in the boots cause it lets the cold water in and gets nasty cuts on the feet. I even wear holes in the bottoms of the Churchills from them.
Cars come and go, VW's live and breathe

Surfers come and go, Kneeboarders live and breed
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

Here is a pic Bill

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.