Waiting a long time for boards

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

C.P.Odom
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by C.P.Odom »

Come on, speak up.

If we do not mention the names of the Shapers then our fellow Kneelos fall into the same trap. The Shapers need to learn that continuing business will rely on them showing Professionalism and Integrity.

Thank you Mr. Hart.
stemple

Post by stemple »

Ah ha! No soup for you! NEXT!
frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

long wait

Post by frankfqr »

T HALL had it right with the public flogging on an open forum, doesn't seem like a prudent approach. Anyhow I"m still waiting and getting slightly miffed....but if I direct any negativity, I don't feel I"ll get anything decent in return. Plus the individual has a $300 deposit. I knew what I was getting into, was told that one of our "demi-gods" actually waited 2yrs. after being told 4-6months. Knew this prior to slapping down the bucks.
fincut
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by fincut »

Don't post up their names.

This community is too small and kneeboard shapers are so damm unrecognized with what they've done and where their taking us. Plus there's only a handfull of them and no real younger statesmen that will be comming up the ranks (Or am I mistaken?) which makes these master craftmen all that more valuable.

If you got a beef with your shaper, call him and ask him what's up. It's not that hard. Don't knock his passion cause he's got other things going on out of the realm.

And for the eclectic shapers, don't you usually have to Know them and its somewhat understood.? Sorta like getting a Skip Frye.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Fear of being blackballed by the same shapers that rely on you for their livelihood; what do you do? Rollover again and again?
randiego

Post by randiego »

Master of the obvious:

If you're looking for instant gratification, buy something off the shelf. I've seen plenty of ridable boards.

If you're looking to have something made to spec, ask around about the shaper's reputation. It's like Fincut said, there aren't many and everyone knows who they are. We're lucky to have them.

I ordered a Lis from Mitch's in La Jolla when I was 18. (1980) I was young and impatient - it took 3 times as long as promised, but when I got it the wait was worth every minute. I'd rather wait 6 months for something I want then not have it available in the first place.

:lol: Peace!
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

A friend of mine told me last week he was booked up for a year with 1500 fish board orders..mostly stand up fish boards.Is it still a fad after 7 yrs nonstop?? :lol:
Coldsalt

Post by Coldsalt »

I can understand a pre-clark-close delay... much after that?
I just had a three month waight from my epoxy guy and sent him the final check as he said he was done. The day the check got their was the same day "all the shipping boxes" were drenched in a freak storm. Hummm. two weeks go by and I keep getting the "yeah the boxes sould be in any day now" story. I live in Alaska and the waighting game is nothing new but I've learned how to see the BS along way out as well.
Can't do names in vain! Only Cheers for a job well done. Pass on a stoke when you get the magic board. Let your shaper know with a photo of a huge smile as well as a barrle!
For now I'd send a photo of you bodysurfing :o
Make new tracks!
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Last edited by JohnS on Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

There are 6 - 12 shapers out there. I will not name names. That cut out 70% of the boards we ride. At least based on comments I have read here. I have got 50% off the shelf. The other 50% my input was limited to color and letting the shaper know what I have ridden and were I ride. That being said communitation is the bigest complaint. Besides length width # of fins talk about time. Befor you give a down payment understand how long the shaper expects it takes to deliver a board. The word of mouth about some shapers. will get around. North county did you get that board yet :wink: I dont want to bite the hand that feeds but I do want to get fed :P
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
PaulN

Post by PaulN »

TMerton wrote:Here in Calif.: Ron Romanosky has one of the fastest turnarounds for kneeboards 2-4 weeks and knows how to treat customers.
I Second this. Ron has been taking from start to finish in 3 weeks or less. Also Bruce Hart got me a board from Oz to LA in about a month- that's impressive. Dean was quick too. I name these guys because they deserve your business. Word does travel fast and there are guys I will not order boards from because of the experiences of others.

On the other hand I ordered a non conventional surfcraft back in February, paid in full and am still waiting here in November. I was told it would be done in April.
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

Hey John,
Here's what I ordered up from Freeline. Two boards.
First board is my small wave board:
5'8" round pin quad, Nose - 17" X 1.5" X NR 4"
width - 22.5" wide point in the middle
Thickness - 2.75"
Tail - 17.5" X 1.5" X TR 2"
Bottom contour - V in the nose fading to flat in the middle. Then slight V starting right around the mid point and increasing tword the tail. Moderate V in the tail.
Rails - Nose rails are turned up 50/50 style rails for the first 12" or so then fading to more rounded rails in the middle of the board. Hard rails in the tail.
Fins - Futures fin systems, front fins trailing edge is at 15.5" from the tail and 1.5" from the rail with a toe angle of 3/8" over a fin base of 4.5". The rear fins are 9" from the tail and 2" from the rail with a toe angle of 1/4" over the fin base of 4.5".
Glassing - 6oz X 4oz deck with a 6oz bottom, no color. I put custom 3/16" solid deck pads on that I bought off of Ron Romanosky. He sold me about 10 feet or so off of the roll that he uses to make his deck pads and I made my own that were a little larger than his pads.
Second board, 5"11" all arounder quad pin.
Nose - 16.5" X 1.5" X NR 5"
Width - 22.25" wide point in the middle
Tail - 17" X 1.5" X TR 2"
Same contour, rails, etc ... as the 5'8" except the fins are up 1/2" farther. So far these boards are working very well but I hav'nt had the chance to surf the 5'11" in sizeable surf. Thumbs up to Jon Mel.
hart

Post by hart »

TH

I posted my original comment (about John Mel) within 60 minutes of sharing the previous 3 hours of my life with Don Harris, in Sydney..

I would like this opportunity to say it again (and thx to Don..once more)

John Mel is a legend.. :D

(sorry for repeating myself..and others)

hart

let's keep this thing (kneeboarding?) as positive as we can..

all sweet :!:
"Mary Mary, Mother Mother,

You and me and..

God the Father.."

Richard Butler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7TPaQV4zo
red

Post by red »

I can get a one week turnaround on my own board - but then I do the design work for a couple of weeks before that and I move the blank from the machine shop to the glasser. (and assuming I have the cash online)

BUT the recommendation I have is that the blank should "cure" for a few weeks before glassing, to let the gases and byproducts of the reaction evaporate and to let the reaction go to completion before enclosing it in a skin. Helps bonding, may improve strength. Seems like sound advice.

SO if your shaper tells you he's waiting for the blank to cure, he may not be blowing smoke up your skirt.

I agree - waiting sucks - whether it's for machine time or a complete board.
hart

Post by hart »

red wrote:
BUT the recommendation I have is that the blank should "cure" for a few weeks before glassing, to let the gases and byproducts of the reaction evaporate and to let the reaction go to completion before enclosing it in a skin. Helps bonding, may improve strength. Seems like sound advice.
Red..waiting weeks for a shaped blank to 'evaporate? its gasses.. :?:

I am sorry, mate..but I have never heard this advice before (how old do you think YOUR blank is before YOU get it?)

Providing you don't order 100+ a month like some guys do :idea: (which isn't me, I hasten to +)

Is your shaped blank being stored vertically or horizontally awaiting to be glassed? (or maybe its been in your car, or lounge room for a while even before the glasser gets it) :?:

A SHAPED blank is at is most precious state..straight from the shaper's hands :D

NOT TO GLASS IT STRAIGHT AWAY is just a line from your producer..and not something this shaper, would recommend

You neither want a vertical nose twist from standing (not) straight up-and-down (which it can't do in a vertical rack without falling out) NOR on a horizontal rack which IS not true which will only twist the ENTIRE thing.. :oops:

In professional glassing facilities on the east coast of OZ, shapes are laminated AS SOON as they are RACKED :idea:

ON TOPIC

Any delay therefore..or otherwise in the building of your new board lay wholly with the fact your board is neither shaped..NOR glassed when it (should) could've been

Sorry for occasionally, speaking loudly

hart

:oops: Now artwork(s)..and the people who produce it, are something entirely else
"Mary Mary, Mother Mother,

You and me and..

God the Father.."

Richard Butler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7TPaQV4zo