Waiting a long time for boards

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

ScottMac
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
albert

Post by albert »

In reality the reaction that creates (or inflates) foam cells in a blank is as theoretically close to complete minutes or even hours after it has been blown. If someone leaves a shaped blank a few weeks just because they think it needs to be 'aired out' they are not doing anything good to it. From a chemical point of view the reaction is not going to get any significantly closer to completion this way. All that is going to happen to it are the things that Bruce and Scottmac have mentioned, moisture, warping, dust, etc.

Maybe the shaper is just trying to buy a few weeks off you! Its sounds believable if you have no background in this.
red

Post by red »

Albert,
Yes, I know about reaction curves - I'm a chemist, remember :)
There's blanks and there's blanks. Some of the new kids on the block don't have the formulation quite right or aren't mixing reagents completely - both of which will slow the "tail end" reaction dramatically. Glassing such a blank fresh is likely to result in poor adhesion. Even experienced shops don't get it perfect every time.

Bruce - thanks for the input. Loud's alright - I'm a bit deaf :D
Now I have Kyle in one ear and Bruce in the other.
I guess that if you get a board from Kyle you can expect a delay for blank curing. If you get one from Bruce you will definitely not have this delay.

More on topic:
What's an average custom board take between order (possibly deposit) and delivery?
Is a 3 month wait close to normal? In which case shapers may be getting hammered in this thread unnecessarily.
Of course, if the "normal" time is unacceptable, then that's another issue entirely.
Over the past 30 years I've experienced board delivery times from the exceptional one week (Dean Cleary 8) ) to a more general 3-4 weeks to a lengthly 10-14 weeks. The median has been something like 2 months.
zombiewoolf
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by zombiewoolf »

My latest board was about 6 weeks to complete due to the shaper WIZSTICKS having difficulty locating a kneelo blank
zombiewoolf

Post by zombiewoolf »

zombiewoolf wrote:My latest board was about 6 weeks to complete due to the shaper WIZSTIX having difficulty locating a kneelo blank
"It was worth the wait"!!
gene west

waiting.....

Post by gene west »

Hola hermanos----waiting for boards is frustrating for sure, especially with the problem with getting decent blanks ( thanks Grubby for screwing everybody,( without even the decency of a kiss first).Might I suggest the importance of having open dialog with your shaper,and developing a relationship. I tell 'em what I want,specify the exact dimensions,let 'em know what I expect the board to do, tell 'em where I surf, and arrange a specific time to pick up my new stick. I almost always insist on being there when they shape it so I can make sure I am satisfied with the nose, rocker ,rails, tail, etc.,that way there are no mistakes. Boards are expensive, so we should demand what we want. And if a shaper says no to my presence, I'll get some one else.
geno
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxb

Post by maxb »

I HAD DEAN CLEARY MAKE A BOARD FOR ME RECENTLY AND WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE TURNAROUND, I'VE ALSO GOTTEN QUITE A FEW FROM ROMO OVER THE YEARS AND HAVE NOT REALLY HAD ANY PROBLEMS THERE. BOTH OF THESE GUYS WILL GET YOU TAKEN CARE OF . BUT REMEMBER ;WE DON'T HAVE THAT MANY LOCAL SHAPERS SO DON'T BASH ANY PUBLICLY I PERSONALLY DON'T WANT TO LOSE THEM
kbing newport