Parkes Quad Fin Setup???

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

ocean7847
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Parkes Quad Fin Setup???

Post by ocean7847 »

I recently scored myself a Parkes Quad from Jimbo (thanks again!) and have been messing around with the fin setup - thought I'd ask on here since I'm sure someone knows something about the setup.

so this is the board

here are the fins - they are pushed very far forward (even further than Blast kneeboards?)

a better side angle

and the whole shebang again.

The original setup (or the way it came) was with Occys in the outside forward box and smaller FCS fins on the inside. I didn't like the feel as I was completely out of control and switched the Occys to the back and moved FCS Y2s (larger than the original fins) into the front box. The board is clearly a good board, but I'm encountering a problem with my turns. The board tracks very well and is fast as can be, but I feel like my turns are limited to either A) massive rail carve at high speed or B) spin out/slide out turns. I can't seem to work a gradual carve or a controlled snap in the pocket. I'm not sure how the fins were supposed to be set up on this board or how the board is 'supposed to ride/be ridden', but I'm sure someone does.

Any suggestions or comments on the fin setup would be greatly appreciated!
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

IMHO... put the fins back as they were.

When I was in need of fins, Darcy came to the rescue with a pair of those Occy fins, which rode forward and approximated what was lost. That's the 'factory settings...' and rode just fine afterwards.

It takes a bit to adjust. Ride further forward on the board than 'fins-back' quad settings.

Also, try a search on the site for past topics, as there's a lot more than this lurking out there...
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

I agree. Ride further forward so that your ankle is over the fin cluster.
kbing since plywood days
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Reed - I agree with Bob. After I got the board I switched the fins the same as you have done. After I rode the board for a while (and even switched boards for a while) I came back to it and used the original set up. Worked unreal! It really is just a matter of getting used to it because it is quite different. Anyways, glad you like the board. Let's go for a surf one of these days.
jadams3
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by jadams3 »

Bob, aka SFKneelo, is correct......He converted me from riding Balestar boards with the fins set further back to the Parkes slab setup......At first I had a few problems adjusting but moving forward on the board definately helps and no more issues! 8)
Aloha.......JA
C J Gagner

Post by C J Gagner »

I have one of those parks too. Has anyone ever tried to ride it as a twinnie.
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Hi Ocean

try this thread for a signpost

viewtopic.php?t=2493

or click on this thumbnail

[albumimg]1477[/albumimg]

if you are logged in

the fins selection depends alot on where you are coming from and where you are going to

as far as a twinnie.... works pretty okay with MR big fins and very small back fins :arrow: - stabilised twinnie. But with this MR setup too pivotal for waves over four feet in the cutback (for me at least)

hope this helps
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I tried it as a twinnie - no bueno. Spun out and basically got my ass kicked.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Either move up on the board or lean more forward and turn off the rails instead of the tail. Essentially, the fins have been moved up so that you can turn off the rails and still use the fins when you turn.
gunkie
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by gunkie »

I have an older, glassed-on fins, Parkes and I absolutely love it. The fins are fairly far forward and make my Romo seem stiff by compasison. I have to force my self to focus on where I want to go because as soon as I glance in another direction, my Parkes just goes there.
john -

Post by john - »

Hey 7487

have you emailed DP in Byron to ask his opinion...sorta like asking god what you have to do to get to heaven :idea:
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

that's easy

be nice to small kids and dogs

:)
john -

Post by john - »

but just dont work with em :wink:
ocean7847

Post by ocean7847 »

no - I have not emailed him cause I don't know his contact info - anyone got it?

also - i've figured out the board, put the fins back the way they were (occys front, smaller trailers back) and just realized the board is ridden differently. i can ride it now - weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
john -

Post by john - »

check out his website :!:

wax posted it recently cos there has been an update