handles on kneeboards

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

cake
Local (More than 25 post)

handles on kneeboards

Post by cake »

Just wondering.....How many of you out there use handles? Bob Gove was nice enough to give me alot of info, but other than Bob, who else has them. Pros and cons?

Cake
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

My first kneeboard back in the 70's was a home made board with pink rope handles. :shock:
Tip#1, don't hold onto the handles and try to drag the board through the whitewater, almost broke some fingers doing that :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

My first kneeboard had rope handles. My brother made that board (it was a piece of $h!t but it was free and got me started). It was before leashes (leg ropes) were really popular or available. I thought the handles were cool initially, but later on found that I almost never held onto the rope handles while riding. I only used them while duck diving or to drag the board through the white water. They also were thick and heavy nylon cord, and more than once I was delivered a nasty gash upon my shins when wiping out as a result of sliding over the side of the board.

Never again. But the way the legendary Orange Kneeboarder uses the rope handles is very functional, and I probably never got that good at it.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

First board I made had stainless steel mesh handles covered by rubber.

The year was 1976. I sprayed it black. It looked so bad that David Parkes remembers it even now.

The first time I went over the falls with my hand stuck in the handles up to the wrist was enough.....

You know that sound when you twist a chicken leg so that the joint cracks......

Handles cramp your style and if you are unlucky they might break a bit off you off.

Advantages: good for turtle rolls or whatever they are called.

;)
WillP
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by WillP »

Penguin uses handles...
dogtown

Post by dogtown »

Can we please put this post to rest in the same place as. the paddle surf post

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
"yes grasshopper'when you can walk the rice paper without making a sound,you are ready to leave the temple"
Markem

Handles

Post by Markem »

Had them on an early board and for me they only caused injuries to my wrist, knees, and when holding them to duck dive my board would sometimes hit me in the face. After a couple of knee surgeries, one on my nose, and with a plate in one wrist, I'll personally never use them again. Most if not all of my injuries are from other sports (mainly skatboarding and basketball) and are not the fault of the handles.
If they work for you great as with all surf stuff use what YOU not others find works.

Enjoy the glide,
M2
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

I prefer h a n d l e b a r s! :)
Jimputz

Post by Jimputz »

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH" :!: :!:
red

Post by red »

luurv handles, baby

With the gentrification 9geriatrification) of kneeboarders these are the handles most dominant
Joel5150Photo

handles..to be .. or ...not too be.......

Post by Joel5150Photo »

RE; Handles: i saw them on a kneeboard waaaaaayy back in 1968... did some R&D till i got them right... i love them !!!they give you a xtra 4 in. reach.. ( great for air-drops !! ) Punching through the back of a wave is EZ ! Side slipping is verry cool !! Placement and "Method of attachment " is critical !! i too almost broke my wrist by not letting go.. solid 8 ft. Cabrillo beach..... thought i was gonna fricken' DIE..!!! if any one wants to put on a pair i would be glad to share all of my info!!!!!!!! or if your in Oceanside cruse over and ill help install them !! it takes aprox 2 hrs.. but so worth it !! PS i have only one handle.. on the right side...cause i only go left !!! Kneeboards RULE !!!javascript:emoticon(':D')
Bob Gove

Post by Bob Gove »

As they say in AA meetings-My name is Bob, and I am a handles addict! I have been using handles on my boards since the late 60's, starting out with hard ones made from laid up fiberglass and covered with plastic tubing to reduce body damage . After many bruised knees, I moved to soft handles made of nylon sail line anchored with windsurfer foot plugs, and since then have not received any injuries directly related to handles. The advantages are harder turns (off the bottom especially, it feels like you can almost pull the rail out of the water squaring off a turn), and more overall control of the board, especially in dicey situations such as freefall drops, or barrel rolls. After using them for so long, it's difficult to try other boards without them, my hands slip off the rail when trying to bottom turn. Hey Dogtown-Don't knock it till you've tried it. If anyone needs info regarding installation, email me.