General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

martin

Post by Jack Beresford »

Martin,

For clarity sake, would you create a new forum topic focused specifically on the upcoming contests? It would be helpful to include date, venue, cost and how to enter.

Thanks

Jack
gumby

Post by gumby »

Who needs surfline? I can tell that it is small and getting smaller. Just read this thread.

You have time.

The funnyest thing I saw today was the two guys picking out a hamster at the pet store. Some how I do not think the hamster will like its new home.

Back to the topic. I have seen some boogie boarders ripping on there knees. Do we consider them below average Kboarders because of there boards?
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Craig »

Martin,
I don't think I have blinders on @ all, I don't recall seeing RW @ the USA titles or @ the worlds promoting TEAM USA!

I saw you and I and others screaming from the bluffs encourging the kids, but I don't recall RW being there.

I know that RW promotes the Sufer Bowl and other great events in SD and he shows interest in the SD Kneelo Groms and thats all good.

So my question to you is this, how does one say contests are ruination of the sport on one hand, and on the other hand promotes them when it suites him? Just a question.

Cookie cutter moves and self promotion! You were there for the world finals as I recall, what was cookie cutter about any of that?
All of those guy's had a completly different styles and technique and all Gentelmen to the man.
Awsome display of world class kneeboarding in my opinion.

Kneeboard Surfing contests is the topic correct? just checking.

I agree young surfers or kids in any sport need to be phyisically strong, spiritually and emotionally grounded, thats the foundation for life in general.

Team sports and ethics! I played Baseball and Football when you acctually had to try out to make the team.

But team surfing thats great on the beach, but when you strap on the leash out the window it goes! That's just the nature of the sport.

As far as Scolding me pulicly for stirring Albert's pot he's a big boy, and I happen to agree w/ him on this subject. I'm not big on PC Sorry!

Posting can be ambiguous @ best would'nt you agree? So maybe if RW is trying as you say to (enlighten us sleepy heads) he should try a different method. It's not working for me.
C J Gagner

Post by C J Gagner »

I thought we all did this cause it was freakin fun!!!!!!!!
Though the course may change sometimes rivers always reach the sea!!!!
fooj

Post by fooj »

Yeah CJ. Right now there is no surf so no fun. My one man canoe is doing suiting me quite well instead.

Oh and I've seen some cookie cutter moves and some of them are quite difficult to consistently pull off. So I won't dog them. I guess some of us are more into the fear and perfect wave thing than what we look like to a judge. At my age I'm not flexible enough to pull those moves, but that is Ok. It has to be.

While I'm at it. People who come to this microniche website, label themselves as with an extremely creative pseudonym represented by an incredible avitar and proceed to irritate the various legitimate camps within our ranks should be hunted down, found out and exposed. Honestly, I don't understand what they are trying to say half the time. I'm not smart enough. Or maybe it's cultural. If any of you trolls are ever in Hawai'i, PM me let's go surf and you can answer some of my questions, just make sure it is wintertime.
bongbong
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

El Jefe',
well said 8)
gonna miss not being able to verbally abuse someone (you) on the annual surf trip. hope you get this responsibility phase over in your life so we can have some fun again.
kook.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

well, it's all coming back to "who has the most f'ed up opinion".

So RW doesn't like contests...SO WHAT. I don't know the man, but I've got a pretty good idea of where he comes from and how long he's been in the water.

It's like this...in general terms, if you were from a certain area during a certain era (say, Sunset Cliffs or La Jolla during the late 60's and early 70's) you probably held the notion that contests were "plastic" and that you were spastic.

However, if you were from almost anywhere in Orange County or Australia during this same timeframe, contests were socially acceptable. Consequentially, if you weren't involved in contests, you were some dinosaur soul dude.

For gawds sake, some of the people who visit this site agree with contests, and some don't. It's not the End of the World, it's just a difference of opinions.

Let's lighten up a bit, guys. Like Scott said, this thing is turning into a goddam TrollFest. :evil:
PaulN

Re: dfsh

Post by PaulN »

smells wrote:martin,

i'm from san diego.
I think you guys need a surf off at Tijuana Sloughs. :lol:
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Hey Smells... I just happen to have a openning in one of my surfing classes. Beeline keeps dropping out of them so you can take his spot. :D :D
gene west

sloughs

Post by gene west »

paul, slough's has it's day's, but don't forget to get your anti-hepititis injection's- more fecal matter at boca rio than on this site. Are you coming down for Tee's paddle-out?
geno
PaulN

Re: sloughs

Post by PaulN »

gene west wrote:paul, slough's has it's day's, but don't forget to get your anti-hepititis injection's- more fecal matter at boca rio than on this site. Are you coming down for Tee's paddle-out?
Hell yes- I want to meet this guy. Keep me posted please. :shock:
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
hart

Post by hart »

dorje wrote:the internet killed the average kneelo :idea:

videos and dvd's buried em :!:
stoked your back, mate :)

having said that..which medium do you have the most problem with..because I'm assuming you are still using all 3 :?:

:) (or do I just take your posts the wrong way)

Aloha..your average kneelo..(truly) :oops:

hart
Last edited by hart on Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Mary Mary, Mother Mother,

You and me and..

God the Father.."

Richard Butler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7TPaQV4zo
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Hey Guys,
Gareths another fine fellow I've met and Craig ceretainly sounds like another fine fellow I'd like to meet.........luv yous all.

Cheers Wolruss
john -

Post by john - »

hart wrote: Aloha..your average kneelo
hart

since in general, qualitative assessments are relative, I suggest you desist hanging with the highest quality kneelos

...works for me :lol:

hard to go past '.....with friends' for purity and Now and Then for variety and the internet for the intro to them both....so thats three outa three...without problem

dorje
stemple

Post by stemple »

Being fairly new to kneeboarding, basically started doing it consistently in 1998. I say I do enjoy the contests because I get to put faces to names on this site. Also the better riders inspire me to push myself. Face it, most of the contests are primarily social gatherings for bragging rights. Though my hat is off to how the press was handled during world's (thanks Jack, Don et all) Maybe some of the combo events in Southern California reach a broader audience and thats great. I will say the world finals were inspiring and opened the eyes of more than few groms in the Santa Cruz area.

The only problem I have about the contests is that if I go surf with other kneeboarders from the contests my wave count goes way down. I also realize how much I have to learn. For a bunch aging men I would have to say when we all get together in the water, the competitive juices just starting flowing. I did find it incredibly impressive that as group we nearly drank the bar dry one evening.

So go to a contest for any number of reasons, reconnect with old friends, learn some new tricks (i.e. old dog here), drink some cold beer, spend the day at the beach with the kids, get a new t-shirt, scope new boards, verbally abuse the kooks, sell stupid t t-shirts, whatever, contests are what you personally make them.