Access to Cronkite Beach

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

stemple
Legend (Contribution King!)

Access to Cronkite Beach

Post by stemple »

To all northern California surfers. I just found out about a new transportation plan for the Marin Headlands. In a nutshell the park service wants to eliminate vehicular access to Cronkite beach for a few days per month mostly on weekends. Build a new parking lot about 1.5 miles from the beach by the current riding stables. Though I am sure this plan would reduce the amount of surfers in the line up it would make it very difficult to surf this place during car free days. They want to restore the dirt parking area by the bathrooms which is a good idea. They also want to institute a pay parking system as well. Comment periods end 8/13/07. For more info follow the link below.

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome ... ctId=12152
K-man

Post by K-man »

:lol: ....classic NPS plan.Piss everybody off.Surfers are a minority,as are the doggie people,and the fisherman,bikers,low riders,etc.put them all together and there's a formidable pack of crazies.. :lol:
Don't see the park getting the whole package,Pay for parking?Season pass is OK as far as I'm concerned...maybe.
They tried this tactic in a few areas up here[NPS] and got hammered by the public.Actually tried to close the PR area to surfing.OB[sf] is under the same jurisdiction.You gonna close OB to surfing also?
Now they're going after johnson's oysters in the estero,claiming a enviornmental disaster,based on bad science.They got clobbered on that one also.Terrible track record!Manipulating data to suit their purposes.Good grief.
I could go on ranting... that's enough for now... :lol:

cheers