HElmets

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

KLHK
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

HElmets

Post by KLHK »

Looking for advice or info re: helmets to surf in. What's good? Does anyone have any experience wearing wakeboarding or white water kayak helmets for surf?
any feedback is greatly appreciated.
kk
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by K-man »

viewtopic.php?t=576

This may help.....

cheers
Mark Ramirez

Helments

Post by Mark Ramirez »

I used to see Chris O'Rourke from La Jolla surf with a Gath surfing helmet, when he was around. Chris was a surfer who was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease in 1977, and had a piece of skull removed from his head so he surfed with a helmet at Windansea. I believe you can get them at a surf shop that would carry everything, because not too many surfers wear them. Some do though.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Helmet
Yes, mandatory accesory for certain locals at an undisclosed Central Coast reef break. . .
Not a bad idea really . . .
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Gath helmets are de riguer. . . I believe
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

My friend has been wearing his Gath since they came out. He usually drives his children & other younger kids to the backside of Catalina and if he gets hit in the noggin', its a long way for help for those youngsters.

This site has had more then it's share of 'saved by the bell' helmet stories.
kbing since plywood days
Scott

Post by Scott »

Yeah, Scotty, I had that helmet sitting back in my truck while I surfed with you, Jack, Don and Willy. 1-2 foot, uncrowded waves don't warrant a helmet to met, but when it's bigger, or shallower, or with more people I wear it. I never want my face lookin' like that again (June, 2005):

album_showpage.php?pic_id=4300

Interesting thing now when I wear my Gath helmet (practically given to me by an overly generous Syd; what a guy!), when I see someone else wearing one in the water, it's fun to just paddle up to them and ask them about the terrible accident they had that got them to wear a helmet. Pretty much everyone has a story that's wearing one...

Jack, I forgot to ask you why you're wearing one?! EQ wears a helmet, some horror story as I recall, but I can't remember the details...
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by RW »

Here's the West Coast Distrubuter:

http://www.murrays.com/gath/gath.html

contact person is Steve Murray

Great guy.
shoulder huggin' chickens
gene west

helmet's

Post by gene west »

Smell's...no way brah, I've already got that atyle brain bucket and I don't want anybody to get us confused! Props to R.W.!
geno
JackG

Post by JackG »

I wear a Gath Surf Convertable -- buy straight from Murrays, they are the NA distributor. I used to have a hard shell kayak helmet, but the hardware rusted. And I'm glad it did. The Gath has better visibility when you are paddling -- you don't have to hold your head up to see past the helmet, and it is lighter.

Scott, I wear it all the time because I've seen what head injuries can do and have gone down hard doing other sports and been veeeery glad to have been wearing a helmet. I need to wear a hat anyway due to less, um, natural sun shade on my noggin. The Gath isnt any more hassle to me than a surf hat. In fact less because it doesn't get pulled off your head.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Yup. We aged KBers can use a little shade on top. Now, if I can only get a light installed on top I can hit Stockton Ave. at night again.
kbing since plywood days
Joel5150Photo
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

helmits...

Post by Joel5150Photo »

Yoooooooooooo ! fellow kneeboarders... I bought a Gath helmit..for water photography.. bright yellow for visiability with the pulldown face shield ( grey ) i look like a darthvader from star wars !! "Luke.. i am a KNEEBOARDERRRRR !! " it even sounds like James Earl Jones with the visor down !!! anyway.. although the helmit cuts your perrifferal vision .. it saved my bacon/mellon.. got pile-driven into the bottom/reef at Augies at hollister ranch..solid 10 ft. face !!WHAAAAMMM !!! the helmit took the hit, actually put a dent into it !! thank god i had it or i would have gotten ... dead !! thats my story....... and i'm sticken' too it !! i keep it in the truck in the nylon bag it comes with.. i also have a Mag light and some Grip tape in case theres a need for it.. ( Ie Earthquake and i need to go into a structure for a rescue.) i love my gath helmit.. go buy one for your self a.s.a.p. ! you wont be sorry... i got mine at E.T Surfshop on 904 Aviation Bl. Hermosa beach Ca. Ph.(310) 379-7660. they come in Black,Grey, and navy... yellow on special order.. $ 124.00 get the one with pull down face shield ( grey ) for afternoon glair... "May the force... (Kneeboard's) be with YOUUUUUUUUUUU !! "dole5150/joel
Scott

Post by Scott »

it saved my bacon/mellon.. got pile-driven into the bottom/reef at Augies at hollister ranch..solid 10 ft. face !!WHAAAAMMM !!! the helmit took the hit, actually put a dent into it !! thank god i had it or i would have gotten ... dead !! thats my story.......
Like I was sayin'...everyone who wears a helmet has got a story.