Changes in the Mentawais

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

flaps
Local (More than 25 post)

Changes in the Mentawais

Post by flaps »

Don't know if y'all been hearing about how Rags Right is GONE, Maccas is shorter, shallower, more dangerous, probably other changes as well in the southern Ments due to earthquakes...bummer for us surfers, bummer for the locals who depend now on us surfers. One article ishere...Glad I got to surf Maccas last October and also the year before last...loved that wave! Just gotta hope that as the earth taketh away, it also giveth back somewhere else...
It's already good tomorrow...
K-man
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by K-man »

Hopefully the local ,population will make it through rough times.Last paragraph in the article..... :lol: classic!
stemple

Post by stemple »

Maybe Macca's will be the one break that benefits from global sea level rise. :D

silver lining at least
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

[albumimg]11622[/albumimg]

[albumimg]11621[/albumimg]

Those were taken last week.
Here's a copy of an email I sent yesterday.

"...As for the waves:
The reefs have changed.
I never really liked Macca's, but now it's "less" of a wave. Drop is still crazy (two boats had to turn back to Padang with injuries), but the wave now just dredges thru the inside. Not steep enough face to really "wack it" like you used to be able to, and it's kinda slow and the barrel is not as deep.... oh, and swallow. Like, reeeaaalllyyy shallow.

Our Captain (Sooley on The HUEY) had one look at RAGS Left and said "That's a great loss for surfing". Martin Daly and the Indies 3 said the same thing when they saw it. The Wave is not working right now... I heard it's the same with The Hole.

BUT!!!!!... Thunders now barrels the whole way, from take-off to kickout... a couple semi-secrete rights were breaking better than HT's (IMO)... and there are a bunch of new waves that have just been created by the lifted reefs that are INSANE!

Pound for Pound, it is still the best surf trip in the world.

And if you're on a boat, you are almost guaranteed to surf waves at least 5ft and offshore everyday.

So... "the lord giveth, and the lord taketh away"... :wink:
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Glad you had a good trip, Ed. Got one in the works for next year 8)
flaps

Post by flaps »

Pound for Pound, it is still the best surf trip in the world.
And there you have it--well, guess I'll just hafta go again...kinda interesting with actual geology happening changing the landscape before our very eyes, will make for some fun exploring. And hearing about Thunders being even shallower and hollower--sounds gnarly...oh boy!
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Latest article on the future, interesting. It mentions the Mentawai's.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081212/sc ... asingapore
The scientists made their conclusions by examining records of sea level change in coral around the Mentawai islands off Sumatra's west coast. The examination implies that the 700-kilometre (434-mile) section of the fault "has generated broadly similar sequences of great earthquakes about every two centuries for at least the past 700 years," the study said.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
halbs
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by halbs »

Oh not what you want to hear when you've locked and loaded for 2009!! Still mad keen can't wait to get amongst it, even though I still have some health concerns from my 2008 Indonesian jaunt, all good though a mere flesh wound.
getting there is often as good as getting there
maxb

Post by maxb »

a few of us are making a trip the 1st week of july , and at least 2 of us are going for the 1st time. looking very forward to our trip.
if anyone is interested we still have a few spots on the boat
7-03-09---7-15-09 freedom II
MAX
kbing newport
flaps

Post by flaps »

Ah well Halbs, don't fret much as we're hearing that as old spots may disappear, now there are new spots to discover--I can't wait to get back there myself, especially as I sit here and it's raining/snowing outside!
Back on a geologic bent, our coast up here is also coming up--during an earthquake series a few years ago the whole beach between Punta Gorda and Cape Mendocino came up a meter or so causing somewhat of a marine disaster, abs caught high and dry, etc. Kings Peak came up too...so I guess our surf spots up here could be affected too. Nothing like a little earth-change to keep us on our toes..er knees.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

My concern would also be that if your on land at a surf resort on the islands, the water would have to flow over the islands before it hit Sumatra. Best to be on a boat surf trip safely anchored in 70 ft. of water, the sunami unfelt, as it slips under you while you sleep. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction