Barrel riding tips

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Doc Turbo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Practise with feedback

Post by Doc Turbo »

Excellent Forum, it is challenging to put to words all the actions, movements, and variations, adjustments of tube riding.

Guided Practice in close out tubes has been my training ground. One good spot was Beach
Breaks in Coronado Island south swell, Santa Ana winds, barrel riding school :)

wino wrote:I close my eyes. :wink:

Seriously, the best way to learn how to ride the tube is to find a good hollow closed out beach break and keep pulling in and setting your edge. After awhile you will start going further and futher in those close outs. Once you can go real far in closeouts go to a place that is hollow and has shape and pull in keep your eyes open and on the opening and you may just start making a few.

Now if anyone can give me some advise on how to get my 7 1/2 yo to put his dirty dishes in the sink without being reminded there might be a sixer in it for you. 8)
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by SamC »

In my experience it definetly helps to look down the line first to see where it is steepest and find the throwing section. If you dont see it getting steeper then you need to find some way to stall or the wave isn't going to barrel. If your going to use barry's use of the flipper to stall, I would recomend NOT using duck feet (too big). Once it starts comming over you, then you look through to hole and try to keep as small as possible while somewhat facing the wave. Like others said, I find it very helpful to put the inside hand on the wave. The best way to get it down is to find a wave that you know will barrel (like reef breaks), or big closeouts will help too.

I always hold my rail when in the barrel and have had no problems (probably because I almost never have any problems with keeping up with the wave), but I think I will try letting go and see if it helps
Nov

Re: tubes

Post by Nov »

barry wrote:My opinion is most every spot needs a slightly different approach.
to me it usually starts with reading the wave before you catch it to be positioned properly, then you decide either to draw out a bottom turn to put yourself into the pocket or maybe do the midface stall (like scotts pic)
I do sometimes adjust my knee positioning to be more frontside or backside but that is more for reasons of how I want to come off the top not get into the tube.
If you look at the pic closely my knees are fairly straight across I just have my upper body turned to face the wave.
also no flipper is needed for the foot drag, you can spot Simon and others dipping their toe (or foot) depending on how much speed they feel like dropping :wink:
then after you get in you want to match the speed of the wave so you can stay in longer.... speed up by applying pressure on the accelerator then slow down by dragging your arm or whatever body part you can that will slow you down to the appropriate speed to maximize your time in the shade.
Wow, I've never tried that foot drag move before!

I usually do a quick half-snap under the lip to lose speed, then I rely on stalling with my arm if I need to hold back.
wino

Post by wino »

"I broadened my focus and started concentrating on the spot right where the lip is starting to pitch,
then you start seeing what the barrel is doing or going to do"

This statement by Barry is spot on and probably the most important aspect of tube riding.
wino

Post by wino »

"I broadened my focus and started concentrating on the spot right where the lip is starting to pitch,
then you start seeing what the barrel is doing or going to do"

This statement by Barry is spot on and probably the most important aspect of tube riding. Look at the pictures of guys like Barry, Simon, etc... and you will notice they are all concentrating on that spot.
crox
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by crox »

I side-slip in the barrel....put my weight forward & free the fins.....can save you getting sucked up the face in super sucky waves...or can help you just stay covered.

My favourite type of barrel is from a deep bottom turn.....like wait as long as possible for it to get critical....then go go go!!...get high up so that you give yourself room to create speed out.
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Mostly I suck at tube riding. But I don't always ride at places where the waves are consistently barrelling. Sometimes, but not frequently. And if they do, it's usually little sections you can set up fairly easily. I'm working on keeping my eyes open. :shock:

I'm also not usually LOOKING for the tube ride as much as the carve. I'm also looking to get out of it alive. Take this photo of Barry ...

album_showpage.php?pic_id=13138

Total committment, but to me I'm looking at that section in front. That spells close-out to me. Were I in this situation I would be jamming hard to make it to the corner where I could hopefully speed out into the flats and avoid getting slammed by the lip. What say most of you?

More bravado points for staying in his line and pulling into the close out? Or is it more stylish to make it out even if it means straightening out?
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
gumby

Post by gumby »

All this advice from the ones in the know. 8) 8)
I am not the tube hound I use to be.The advice I will give is visualize. Most walls, fences, buildings and hallways I walk by or down I picture it pitching out. My Wife yells at me for dragging my hand as I walk down the bedroom hallway. :roll: This mental work out I have keeps my little brain in shape for when things are liquid. :wink:

Craig
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

I am with craig......I do the same.
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Of course, I'm with Craig and Steen.

Here's a shot from my brother's pool that I like to hang out in (under) 8)

album_showpage.php?pic_id=2516&user_id=325
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I dreamed of riding deep in the barrel when I was a young KBer.

And I have to place the blame squarely on Greenough's shoulders........literally.
kbing since plywood days
Nov

Post by Nov »

DarcyM wrote:Total committment, but to me I'm looking at that section in front. That spells close-out to me. Were I in this situation I would be jamming hard to make it to the corner where I could hopefully speed out into the flats and avoid getting slammed by the lip. What say most of you?
I'd be thinking 'barrel roll'. :lol:
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

I agree with Wino, "pull into closeouts at a beach near you ". I would ride them to the end...because the safest place is in the tube.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

southpeakbrad wrote:Of course, I'm with Craig and Steen.

Here's a shot from my brother's pool that I like to hang out in (under) 8)

album_showpage.php?pic_id=2516&user_id=325
Love it Brad :D
I can't add anything else other than I almost always go for the closeouts. It's good practice to try things because your going to eat it anyway. The closeouts here in OCMD are kinda brutal, but when it closes, you still have another second or two ,or more if the wave is bigger, before you eat it. I try to pump the board, or concentrate on my style. When I am getting hit with the lip, I tuck in and roll so if I were to hit sand, my back or shoulders would hit, not my chest or face tweaking my neck or spine. I haven't suffered too badly yet, but my board does have some stress marks from the bottom. I wouldn't advise this over a reef though. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction