General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

diga
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Designated surf board beaches

Post by diga »

having been burnt 3 times in a row by the same bloke today
i wrote this articile to my local paper.

feed back most welcome.

Having been run over by wave ski's and a variety mals.
And the aggression which these deliberate acts bring.
It could be time to reintroduce surf board and/or surfer registration
As there was back in the 60's, take this one step further - designated board type i.e. short board (6'5" and under, mal/wave ski) beaches.

With each surfer and or board paying the council a registration fee. This pool of funds could go to the up keep and replacement of facilities (showers etc).

With the number of surfers in the water at anyone time and the variety of boards and skill levels, it's getting just plain dangerous.

"I didn't see you" or "I was no were near you" are lame excuses. Now don't get me wrong - I have know plenty of people who ride these water craft, and they are sick of copping the flack which mostly tourists bring down on them.

Like it or lump it we as surfers do have a care of duty - to each other. And if this can not or will not be honoured then the time WILL come when WAVES WILL BE TAXED.
Shelfbreak
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Shelfbreak »

What you describe is like waht is a called 'tragedy of the commons' where open and unfettered access to a resource leads to its ruination. Normally used in relation to fish stocks but most of us might agree that the ridiculous numbers and vibe at some spots probably sours the experience for almost everyone there.

Mostly surfers see a solution to such overcrowding from a personal perspective, let's make it harder for outsiders, I'll get fitter or get a longer board, hit it early etc.

A broad solution needs an allocation mechanism that has some legal basis. These are incredibly hard to implement and would require compliance.

Most simple example I could think of would be to require registration for a subset of a city's beaches where 50% of the registered surfers could only surf on odd numbered days of the month and vica versa.

You might elect to leave the remaining beaches as open access as a comparison to remind people what happens when access is a free and our coastal poulation keeps growing.
Shelfbreak
WaterLogged
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by WaterLogged »

Interesting. Some beaches in New York actually separate "soft" and "hard" boards during the "on season". The on season being the end of May to the end of September.

Any other season is a free for all, however, and it's a free for all before and after lifeguard hours. :shock:

Some beaches are designated "surfing" beaches, where you can surf or bodyboard *only*. Some beaches allow surfing in one spot and bodyboarding in another. Other beaches designate bodyboarders as "swimmers", so if you don't make it for a DP or after work sesh, you're stuck with the swimmers and waders.

Kayakers and wave skiers are kind of seen as a hazard in the line ups around here, due to the sheer size of their craft. I can understand if the rider of the craft is a disabled person, and needs the kayak or ski to enjoy the wave, but there are a lot of people around here who just jump in their kayak or ski and "surf" it. It's a bit dangerous sometimes, and a great big bone of contention.

It's kind of like having a bicycle and a Hummer.
I
GRAB
RAILS
diga

Post by diga »

Thanks for early the feed back.
I’m not into discrimination or one up manship, far from it

This is about safety & water craft.
Good point of Shelfbreak’s : “A broad solution needs an allocation mechanism that has some legal basis”
As it is: Who do you sue when your paddling out and a learner to your left on a 8foot mal bails out 10 feet in front of you, leaving you with any number of injuries not to mention the other 5 blokes that have been desimated in the process?
Cold comfort sitting in a wheelchair watching from the beach. “sorry I didn’t see you" just don’t cut it in my book
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

"What you describe is like what is a called 'tragedy of the commons' "

That concept is explored in an excellent book by the same name by author Garrett Hardin ( I think that's the name). Its one of the books that helped shape my life's work when I read it back in the early 1970's.

As far as registration, I'm not one for additional gov't regulation. Here in California there are already laws on the books that deal with this situation....unfortunatley, they aren't enforced. The Navigation and Harbor regulations forbids any watercraft that uses mechanical means (eg, oars, paddles, etc) to be in the same area as bathers.......and specifically lists surfboards(ers) as bathers.

Check with your local navigation regulations....your answer may already be on the books
kbing since plywood days
K-man

Post by K-man »

Surfhorn brough the legal aspect of ''watercraft''into focus.[kayaks in the waves nov 27 2004]We've had problems here in town[bolinas]where it occasionally got way to bizzare.
Butt skis.kayaks,standup paddle boards mixed in with surfers.What it boils down to [here]is youall gotta get along.Push comes to shove and the law comes into play.Read the fine print.You got oars?Technically your a craft and legally cannot exceed 5mph.within a certain distance of surfers,bathers .This has been pointed out to the sheriffs,who will enforce the law if necessary.It has also been pointed out to the various non-surfers,and if they don't cool it.then action will be taken...It works... :wink: Most of the time the more agressive locals,people who are smart,and understand what/why resolve the issue before it escalates.There are yakkers who have been here for yrs,and are good at what they do,and respect [Competent]surfers,the speedbumps and decoys are fair game... :lol:Don't surf that much here in town on the weekends,have a short fuse,when it comes to stupidity and a lack of etiquette.

cheers
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Yes Diga

Who sells fiberglass mals to beginners when they might be better served with a soft version for a year or two.

Surfhorn I agree with you about over regulation - I can't imagine ever seeing a sharing arrangements for wave time in major cities anytime soon. As described by Waterlogged the only formal mechanisms in place here are similiar with surfboards restricted from the flagged off swimming zones which are patrolled by our surf lifesavers.
Shelfbreak