I dinged my new board = (

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

WaterLogged
Local (More than 25 post)

I dinged my new board = (

Post by WaterLogged »

The surf here today is nothing to write home about - shoulder to head, and really messy with West winds making everything all sideshore.

But 2 of my friends were heading out, 2 guys that I love surfing with, so I went along.

It was fun, but really tiring, lots of whitewater and currents to punch through, I rode a lot of waves prone by the end.

So, I'm walking back to my car and my shoulders and arms are really tired, and my foot kind of hurts - and my board slips out of my hand and crashes onto the ground. I shattered the right rail, and from the way it fell on the sidewalk - put a linear split in it, too.

I actually sat on the ground and cried. I cannot believe that I dropped and hugely dinged my brand new board.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I
GRAB
RAILS
eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by eqKneelo »

The worst feeling in the world... and has happened to all of us.
BUT DON'T WORRY....Call the local shop and find a pro-ding repair guy.
Not only will they fix it... with a little paint they'll be able to make it invisible.
skansand

Post by skansand »

bummer waterlogged, i remeber falling on my first bought-kneeboard while skating to the the bus stop.....crushed the whole tail section,

i understand how you could cry over it... :(
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

Bought a brand new El Paipo knee machine( fancy airbrushed) with my own money when I was 15 yrs old ....first wave lost it and COMPLETLY destroyed it on the rocks! :cry:
RT

Post by RT »

Waterlogged,

You need some empathy?? I know how you feel.
Here's another dinged-my board-on-the-first-surf story...and a couple of lost-my-board-cuz-I'm-a-idiot stories.

Pulled into a barrel, got bounced straight up off the deck, board goes up the face over my head and hits me squarely on the bone of my hip as it decends on the other side of the falling lip. I was alright, but the rail was crushed. Didn't feel quite so bad about that as the no-straps on the car racks episode...read on.

'Bout 20+ years ago, I had a board fly off my surf racks just as I hit the first corner on the fwy doing 60 (right after the Capitola onramp to Hwy 1 south)...forgot the straps after a surf [at Pleasure Point] and the board didn't budge all the way until it took flight. The worst part... I watched the thing fly almost in slow motion like a frisbee onto the median on it's deck, skegs unharmed, and probly no dings whatsoever as the dirt was covered with a fresh layer of nice soft wood chips.

Pulled over to the side, ran back to where it landed, and someone had already snagged it. Aaaay! Never did get that board back.

Also had a board fly out of my whaler while towing it up the coast for a ranch trip on my burthday once--fortunately it was a beater, and my spare. Still, losing a board hurts, and it's happened to me way too many times!
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

How's my 14 yr old paint job I did on that Whaler at your house at Oxnard shores holding up ? I hit that big bump at C -St once going 50mph in my VW bug with 4 boards on the roof! We all slammed our heads on the roof and the boards flew off the racks. We were laughing so hard we couldn't catch our breath.... :lol:
Last edited by W.G. Facenda on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Sorry about the ding, but consider the board christened ... that first ding hurts but it was going to happen someday anyway.

If the ding is mostly superficial, it's a good time to learn fiberglass and resin repair. Even if there's a little foam showing, it's a good idea. I've been fixing most of my dings for as long as I've been surfing. Only thing I don't mess with is replacing fins.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Jimputz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jimputz »

Waterlogged,

I can relate. Waited a long time for my new one. It is beautiful........better than I expected. Feels like a potential "magic" board.
3 hour session one fine day. Cold morning with offshores. Hands are freezing as I go to put my new board in it's boardbag.
Slips out of my grasp and bounces off the Huntington State Beach parking lot.
Luckily only minor damage. I might've cried.........I don't recall. :D
I know a whole bunch of foul language came pooring out of my mouth.
The sound of fresh resin shattering..............UHHHHH.
Had a buddy of mine at the Froghouse fix it. Can't even see it now.
Like it never happened.:D
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Too bad about the nose job... :cry: Must be the quad?So that's why your ordering the backup!Misfortunate brings fortune...yeah?Otherwise I'd be paying the whole freight cost,two boards are cheaper than one...Almost want to say thanks.... But I won't,I'm not that cruel... :lol:

cheers.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

For a quick repair so you can get back in the water: rough up opened area with emory board; wipe clean; coat with clear nail polish. You want to keep water out of the board.

But learning to work with resin and cloth would be a good skill to acquire. Many good how-to-fix-ding books on the market these days.
kbing since plywood days
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Sorry for the mishap WL. Sometimes those things happen...

WG and RT, I also have a story. We were driving down to Trestles in high school and in San Clemente as we were going over an overpass and we heard a loud noise on top of the car. As we turned around and looked out the back window my board was spinning through the air. It landed on the nose and then flew off the freeway overpass into neverland.... my heart sunk! But, as we made our way back to retrieve the board we found it had landed in a large planter of iceplant :shock: 8) ... with a large chunk of the nose missing :( Once repaired I continued to enjoy that stick and had fun telling the story :D

On a more contemporary note Bob Gove took me on a boat trip a few weeks ago and after our first go out I had pulled my new Flashpoint out of the water and into my padded day bag. I had placed it on the bow mindful of the offshores that seemed to be picking up, but not too strong yet, YET. Although I had thought about tying it up I got distracted. About 20 minutes later a strong gust lifted my board and sent it spinning through the air towards the back of my head as I was standing looking out the back. WhAcK! it nailed me :oops: and continued to fly out into the ocean. Fortunately I still had my wetsuit on and was able to retrieve it before it made it out to SM Island, and that big pressure ding on the bottom will be with me forever. At least my head stopped hurting before the afternoon session!
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

........so how was the surf at the left? :wink:
frankfqr

first ding

Post by frankfqr »

First ding, first board, no cord, longboard...swam in after losing it to find it hanging and completly impaled on a railroad tie imbedded in the reef. Lots of spikes embedded in the reef at the mouth of Pearl Harbor, hence the spot was named Tanktraps.....lots of sharks to :shock: :shock: