Florida kneelos I need some help please.

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

PaulN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Florida kneelos I need some help please.

Post by PaulN »

There is a slight possibility that I may move to Florida to be closer to my parents. They live in Marco Island. I have spent significant time in the Miami area, but then all I did was dive and surfing was secondary. What I am looking for is a place that is somewhat consistent and has a good quality of life, smaller and less rushed then So-Cal. At this time I am 99% sure that I will not move but if this economic downturn affects my wife or myself we may have to go. I work in social services and she is a teacher if that helps at all. Thanks for any help.
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
rick mottola

Post by rick mottola »

somewhat consistent is a relative term.

anywhere in florida the surf will be a joke compared to california.

central florida area, brevard county is probably most consistent.

but marco island will be infinitely more of a joke being on the gulf of mexico. you may get real waves 3 times a year, if there is a good hurricane season and you're lucky enough not to get killed by one. check out http://www.gulfster.com if you don't believe it. they're currently getting 2ft @ 5 secs, and people are on it in droves...if that tells you anything.

most everywhere will be more laid back than socal.

so what i guess i'm saying is, move if it is necessary and not for the surf.
Last edited by rick mottola on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albert
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by albert »

rick mottola wrote: so what i guess i'm saying is, move if it is necessary and not for the surf.
I second that...

Having lived in Brevard county for 7 years I can tell you that what Rick is saying is 100% accurate. I did enjoy the lifestyle while I lived there though, most beach towns are relatively small and have that small town atmosphere.
KEL

Post by KEL »

Doesnt sound like you will be needing your boards if you move...CAN I HAVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: KEL
PaulN

Post by PaulN »

I might sell everything and buy a SUP. :lol:
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
FLwaves
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by FLwaves »

Hey Paul, I'll add my 2 cents as I've lived in FL for the past 12 years. Like Albert I spent about 7 years in Brevard County, and currently I'm living in Lake Worth (near West Palm). It's a given that there is no comparison with Cali as far as the waves go, but if family issues force you to move here, there are far worse places to be stuck in :D At least the water's warm! Maybe I'm biased, but I would check out the West Palm Beach area as a compromise between living close to the folks vs. access to waves. We occasionally get good north swells here, and it's just an hour a half to Ft. Pierce inlet, and 2 hours to Sebastian inlet/Melbourne where you'll find better quality and more consistency. Probably about the same distance in the other direction to Marco, but I'm not sure. More job opportunities in south FL vs. central too. Though if you look hard enough, you'll be able to find work wherever you decide to move. Good luck.